Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I give up trying to figure out if the Gophers with the current commitments can make the 85 scholarship limit. Something has to give.

I give up trying to figure out if the Gophers with the current commitments can make the 85 scholarship limit. Something has to give.

Yeah, I wouldn’t get too attached to these croots and players until they are bonafide contributors and or talked up the coaches, and in PJs good graces. Obviously nobody likes to talk about it but a lot of guys are wondering where there next stop is going to be after the staff tells them to take a hike, or is medically disqualified (I’m not dead yet!), or ignored at practice, or not discussed as still on the team by the coach (see Harbaugh, James Joseph). It’s just business, and business is ugly.

I think we're learning.

Recruiting 25 kids a year at 4.5 years is 113 kids. (Some kids might redshirt, some might not).

You need to be at 85.

113-85=28

28/4=7

If you recruit 25, you need 7 kids to find the transfer portal or quit football.
If you recruit 22, you need 4 to do that.

I think we're learning.

Recruiting 25 kids a year at 4.5 years is 113 kids. (Some kids might redshirt, some might not).

You need to be at 85.

113-85=28

28/4=7

If you recruit 25, you need 7 kids to find the transfer portal or quit football.

I think we have 76 players on scholarship scheduled to return next year. So we're gonna need a lot more than 4 or 7 to leave.

I think we're learning.

You need to be at 85.

113-85=28

28/4=7

Seven - Isn't that how many kids we are already losing every year through transfers/grad transfers, medical hardships, early graduation, homwsickness, etc...? Gotta love GH Math.

Some kids will realize that they are not a perfect fit, are homesick, etc... and that is somewhat an attrition that is to be expected every year. Vic Viramontes for instance almost immediately knew he got more than he could chew.

If someone has time - can you look at the attrition from recruiting classes the last ten years? I am curious to see how many recruits remain for four years.

Last edited:

It’s like someone turned a light switch on in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There no question it’ll work out and no questioning the work out. Most everybody here has been cut from a roster at some point in their lives and sometimes unceremoniously. Life goes on. I think the only disagreement is the methodology.

Like PJ has said , "We are trying to out recruit you". The consequences are pretty obvious in order for the program to get better. The kids are competing for their spots. Kids who want playing time - some will transfer. It's part of life.

PennLive: Big Ten football recruiting rankings

5. Minnesota Golden Gophers | National rank: 24

The energetic P.J. Fleck has been busy on the recruiting trail with 22 commits after reeling in 16 more prospects in the past month, including the top two recruits in the class. Kansas wide receiver Daniel Jackson is a four-star recruit and the No. 54 wide receiver nationally while Missouri athlete Itayvion Brown is the No. 441 overall prospect in the class.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...io-state-michigan-after-up-and-down-june.html

Go Gophers!!

I assume this means we're shutting things down until after the season starts. So likely will see very little movement until then. I'm sure a couple guys will drop off and a couple more will be added.

I assume this means we're shutting things down until after the season starts. So likely will see very little movement until then. I'm sure a couple guys will drop off and a couple more will be added.
No DE Joe Moore announced he will commit mid August and the Gophers are one of the top contenders for him.

Fleck on sports huddle today (7-7) said "we're not done yet." they are still recruiting for the 2020 class. on de-commits, he said they contact every recruit every day in some fashion - call, text, e-mail, skype, etc.

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck on how he viewed the program’s June recruiting: “We had 16 commits in the month of June. I think that’s one of the biggest months we have ever had in our program history, not just at the University of Minnesota but me being a head coach and our staff being together. Sixteen commits in the month of June. I would consider that an epic June.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-owner-jim-pohlad-fired-up-and-fearful-of-playoff-push/512687682/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck on how he viewed the program’s June recruiting: “We had 16 commits in the month of June. I think that’s one of the biggest months we have ever had in our program history, not just at the University of Minnesota but me being a head coach and our staff being together. Sixteen commits in the month of June. I would consider that an epic June.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-owner-jim-pohlad-fired-up-and-fearful-of-playoff-push/512687682/

Go Gophers!!

Epic? Epic?

Epic? Epic?

I thought it was EPIC.

Bat signals were going out all the time, and the suspense of who the next one was made it awesome.

It's boring as hell now when we only have a few spots left.

Epic, elite, all the same to me. June was absolutely legendary by Gopher Standards.

Epic? Epic?

You had to know someone would miss your point and go on the defensive. 2 for 2 tho may have been a surprise.

You had to know someone would miss your point and go on the defensive. 2 for 2 tho may have been a surprise.

Agreed. I also don’t recall him ever using that phrase. Kind of surprised me actually.

On the defensive???? Seemed pretty mild to me, but . . .

On the defensive???? <b>Seemed pretty mild to me, </b>but . . .

Not sure what you see as a requirement for defensiveness, but a quick read of Webster’s may benefit you. I didn’t see the need for one to wig out in order to qualify.

Top Bottom