Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

The Gophers garnered their 24th commitment in the 2020 class Thursday.

Danny Striggow, a Long Lake native and Orono product, announced his decision on Twitter. The 6-4, 220-pound weak-side defensive end is a three-star recruit, according to 247Sports.com.

He's the third in-state commit in the class after Anoka's Cody Lindenberg and Rosemount's Jonathan Mann.

Fun fact: Striggow won the 220-pound Class 2A state championship in wrestling this past year.

http://www.startribune.com/orono-defensive-end-danny-striggow-commits-to-the-gophers/528626032/

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

The Gophers garnered their 24th commitment in the 2020 class Thursday.

Danny Striggow, a Long Lake native and Orono product, announced his decision on Twitter. The 6-4, 220-pound weak-side defensive end is a three-star recruit, according to 247Sports.com.

He's the third in-state commit in the class after Anoka's Cody Lindenberg and Rosemount's Jonathan Mann.

Fun fact: Striggow won the 220-pound Class 2A state championship in wrestling this past year.

http://www.startribune.com/orono-defensive-end-danny-striggow-commits-to-the-gophers/528626032/

Go Gophers!!

Happy to have Striggow on board, he has the size and motor that could be an effective DE in the B1G.

That said, I also see this as us 'moving on' from Joe Moore since he pushed his commitment announcement back...just a hunch. I would rather get 25 guys a year who are fully bought in vs. 15 who are and 10 who are sold in.

Happy to have Striggow on board, he has the size and motor that could be an effective DE in the B1G.

That said, I also see this as us 'moving on' from Joe Moore since he pushed his commitment announcement back...just a hunch. I would rather get 25 guys a year who are fully bought in vs. 15 who are and 10 who are sold in.

Are you really not "fully bought in" if you don't make your decision faster than others? I think that is just part of the recruiting process. Some take longer and some don't. Moore very well could have ended up choosing us.

Regardless I like Striggow. Wrestling background seems to help a lot of guys too.

A little surprised that PJ has only landed 3 of the Top 10 in-state according to 247. I guess they got a shot at getting a fourth but frustrating to see so many of them heading to the state of Iowa.

A little surprised that PJ has only landed 3 of the Top 10 in-state according to 247. I guess they got a shot at getting a fourth but frustrating to see so many of them heading to the state of Iowa.

Besides Kaden Johnson and maybe Terry Lockett, who do you want us to get? We didn't miss out on much or got better players.

Well considering one of the top 10 probably isn’t going to play college football (Suggs), another is a QB (Bouman) who they didn’t even offer and a position they haven’t really recruited in this class. Then another of the top 10 is a wide receiver (Lockett) where they have 2 commits, one of which is much higher rated (Jackson). Then a few of the defensive ends going to Iowa (Black and Witt), a position where the gophers have 4 other commits. I would say they have done pretty well with the in state recruits for the class of 2020.

Not really understanding where the disappointment is coming from of “only” landing 3 of the top 10 with a good shot at landing the #1 as you already stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

How disappointed do you think Kirby Smart was when Bateman gave him the cold shoulder and kept his commitment here? Or, Florida State and Miami when they couldn’t keep Faalele instate? Some kids just prefer to move somewhere else, whether it be a change of scenery, or they just have a better connection with a coaching staff. I don’t particularly care where they get the players as long as they can play.

How disappointed do you think Kirby Smart was when Bateman gave him the cold shoulder and kept his commitment here? Or, Florida State and Miami when they couldn’t keep Faalele instate? Some kids just prefer to move somewhere else, whether it be a change of scenery, or they just have a better connection with a coaching staff. I don’t particularly care where they get the players as long as they can play.

Not really a valid comparison as Bateman was the #40 recruit in Georgia, Daniel was #52 in Florida.

Not really a valid comparison as Bateman was the #40 recruit in Georgia, Daniel was #52 in Florida.

So that negates what I said about kids wanting to go elsewhere for a variety of reasons?

Maybe they think they have a better chance of winning or getting drafted elsewhere. Is that better?

So that negates what I said about kids wanting to go elsewhere for a variety of reasons?

Maybe they think they have a better chance of winning or getting drafted elsewhere. Is that better?

No but the #40 and #52 kids often go to other states where they feel more wanted and they haven’t been getting love from the in state options.

You really think they thought they had a better chance of “winning or getting drafted” in MN than at UGA or one of the FL schools- we’ll maybe better than FSU[emoji23]

No but the #40 and #52 kids often go to other states where they feel more wanted and they haven’t been getting love from the in state options.

You really think they thought they had a better chance of “winning or getting drafted” in MN than at UGA or one of the FL schools- we’ll maybe better than FSU[emoji23]

I was referring to the Minnesota kids. Iowa and Wisconsin obviously have a better track record of putting kids in the NFL. Right?

Also....

I just did a quick check on 247 for the 2019 class. Only 2 of the top 10 Georgia kids are going to Georgia and 3 of the top 20. The top player in the state is enrolled at Oklahoma. For 2020, they only have one top 20 player committed.

Most of the top Florida kids are leaving the state too.

It's only frustrating if the players leaving are ones they wanted.

Very true points. And I’m sure there may have been 1 or 2 they wanted. I was just comparing in my mind how MN did vs. their two neighbors, WI and IA. Wisconsin kept 6/10 at home and IA kept 8/10 at home.

Very true points. And I’m sure there may have been 1 or 2 they wanted. I was just comparing in my mind how MN did vs. their two neighbors, WI and IA. Wisconsin kept 6/10 at home and IA kept 8/10 at home.

Iowa has 4 commits. Iowa State has 4. They are different teams so not sure that really hold any merit. For WI, Dakovich has no other P5 offers, Barten an Iowa offer, Dike an Iowa State offer, McDonald no other P5 offers, and Bortolini Miami, Iowa and Syracuse offers.

247 shows Iowa keeping 4/10 for 2020.

For 2019, it’s 5/10 for Iowa, 2/10 for Wisconsin.

I suspect some people would like to believe top MN recruits are leaving because they don’t like Fleck.

New here?

I suspect some people would like to believe top MN recruits are leaving because they don’t like Fleck.

That always has to be it, right?

Maybe the poster has a preference to keep local kids and is disappointed we aren’t keeping more. Maybe it has nothing to do with PJ. Nah - always a shot at PJ.

10 of 25 is 40% of your class. Good to get a couple/few good MN players each year, but the majority mostnyears are coming from out of state. PWO is another good way to get some in-state players.

That always has to be it, right?

Maybe the poster has a preference to keep local kids and is disappointed we aren’t keeping more. Maybe it has nothing to do with PJ. Nah - always a shot at PJ.

You know what? You’re right this time. I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions. That said, it is true that kids are going to leave for a variety of reasons. Not liking PJ might even be one of them. “I’m not for everyone.” All coaches at top programs have probably lost recruits for the same reason. Nick Saban is probably not for everyone either.

At the end of the day, the numbers here aren’t much different than most areas of the country. We could go 15-0 and still lose some of the top kids.

Last edited:

Like it or not PJ is dead serious about the culture he is creating and enforcing within the program. A lot of top recruits just may not fit in that culture. My understanding from talking to people on the team is Fleck asks the current players what they think of recruits and if the team feels they may not fit into the culture there is 0% chance they will be on the team. So it goes both ways, some of the kids may not like fleck or see themselves fitting into the culture he has created and some of the kids are identified by the coaches/team of not fitting into the culture also.

Do we care where the recruits come from if they are ranked higher by the coaches based on their assessments and evaluations? Some players either don't fit the Gopher culture as mentioned, or they don't want to be here.

Yeah, it may be a little disappointing if a highly ranked MN player goes elsewhere at first. If they don't want to be here, then let them go.

The Gopher coaches want to put the best recruiting class each year regardless of where they come from. It does seem like they look at kids with some connections to the area.

Interview with Kaden. Doesn’t sound too promising. Sounds like he’s gonna be a Badger.

https://twitter.com/dwolfsonkstp/status/1161448902236823556?s=21

I don’t think it sounds like he definitely is going to be a Badger. I think he is wide open and is actually waiting to see what other offers come his way. With that being said I don’t think he will be a Gopher, but could wind up somewhere we don’t even know about yet.

Top Bottom