Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Can we stop pretending Suggs is going to a school to play football after he graduates hs?
I think Suggs will make a fantastic QB in football should be choose that route. That kid knows how to move the football. He is obviously great at basketball, but football may make him more money.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I think Suggs will make a fantastic QB in football should be choose that route. That kid knows how to move the football. He is obviously great at basketball, but football may make him more money.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Football makes more money, but easier to get hurt. Depends what he likes more. From everything I've read, it'll be basketball.

Football makes more money, but easier to get hurt. Depends what he likes more. From everything I've read, it'll be basketball.

Football revenues are higher, but individual basketball players make way more on average. It's a case of dividing the pie into 53 pieces instead of 12 pieces. And, as you mentioned, basketball players tend to feel a lot better than football players at age 50, 60, or 70.

Assuming he becomes really good and could choose between being an NBA player and an NFL QB - it'd be close, but he'd almost certainly make more money in basketball. For one thing, he can enter the league at least two years earlier and thus have an additional two years of earning power, plus he'll most likely last longer playing basketball.

Let's pick two players at random - I'm picking Aaron Rodgers and LeBron James, because they're close to the same age. Rodgers entered the NFL in 2005, and LeBron entered the NBA in 2003 (there's that 2 year thing I mentioned above), even though Rodgers is a year older. Both would be considered to be at the top of their games, so I think they make for a reasonable comparison. Through the 2017-18 season, LeBron had made $237M from basketball. Rodgers has made $181M from football. Rodgers just signed a huge contract extension that takes him through the end of 2023 and, assuming he actually makes it through the length of the deal (he'll be 40), he'll have made $315M. LeBron has a contract that takes him through 2022 (he'll be 37) and by the time that contract is done, he'll have made $390M. If he played through age 40 to match Rodgers, he'd likely top $500M.

Football revenues are higher, but individual basketball players make way more on average. It's a case of dividing the pie into 53 pieces instead of 12 pieces. And, as you mentioned, basketball players tend to feel a lot better than football players at age 50, 60, or 70.

Assuming he becomes really good and could choose between being an NBA player and an NFL QB - it'd be close, but he'd almost certainly make more money in basketball. For one thing, he can enter the league at least two years earlier and thus have an additional two years of earning power, plus he'll most likely last longer playing basketball.

Let's pick two players at random - I'm picking Aaron Rodgers and LeBron James, because they're close to the same age. Rodgers entered the NFL in 2005, and LeBron entered the NBA in 2003 (there's that 2 year thing I mentioned above), even though Rodgers is a year older. Both would be considered to be at the top of their games, so I think they make for a reasonable comparison. Through the 2017-18 season, LeBron had made $237M from basketball. Rodgers has made $181M from football. Rodgers just signed a huge contract extension that takes him through the end of 2023 and, assuming he actually makes it through the length of the deal (he'll be 40), he'll have made $315M. LeBron has a contract that takes him through 2022 (he'll be 37) and by the time that contract is done, he'll have made $390M. If he played through age 40 to match Rodgers, he'd likely top $500M.

# of amateur football players < # of amateur basketball players
# of NFL players > # of NBA players

You need to factor in the odds of making it to either league.

Good analysis. Factoring in the tax rates of Wisconsin versus Florida (no state tax), Ohio (similar to Wisconsin) and California (substantially higher than Wisconsin) it probably wouldn't change your work much at all unless LeBron stayed in California until he was 40, then the margin between the two would be smaller.

Good analysis. Factoring in the tax rates of Wisconsin versus Florida (no state tax), Ohio (similar to Wisconsin) and California (substantially higher than Wisconsin) it probably wouldn't change your work much at all unless LeBron stayed in California until he was 40, then the margin between the two would be smaller.
What if you factor in quality of life?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Which sport does he enjoy playing more? It seems like football because he is more highly sought after for basketball (more offers and higher rating) yet he has not picked one.

John Elway chose football and it turned out well for him, but I can totally understand for longevity/health reasons why someone would choose basketball over football. Either way you can basically make a fortune if you're good enough.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a clinic by Jalen Suggs tonight. Guy looks like a rich man's Adrian Martinez.

Good to hear Fleck is blowing up his phone with texts. At least the recruiting hustle is there.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

What a clinic by Jalen Suggs tonight. Guy looks like a rich man's Adrian Martinez.

Good to hear Fleck is blowing up his phone with texts. At least the recruiting hustle is there.

Caught a bit of the game. Suggs was all over the place making plays on defense as well (assuming safety).

The announcers mentioned that he's likely destined for basketball but how it would take the right set of coaches to allow him to play hoops and football. Immediate thought was Fleck and Pitino should absolutely be all over this. I'm assuming they've had this discussion. Has there been anything said publicly about him playing both sports here?

Jalen Suggs retweeting and liking tweets about him playing football and basketball at Minnesota (11/24):

Jalen Suggs retweeting and liking tweets about him playing football and basketball at Minnesota (11/24):

That would be very rare these days. The time it would take to devote to two sports plus school work for most of the year is something I couldn't fathom. He's a one and done talent in hoops so likely it will be a season of each sport.

This is an interesting story on former Viking Brad Johnson's son. He is also Mark Richt's nephew. However, he has chosen LSU over Miami. If he had chose a place like Stanford, you could say he wanted a higher academic university. Hard to use location as a reason, since I'm guessing most would find Miami more attractive than Baton Rouge.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mark-r...-max-johnson-commits-lsu-miami-032553593.html

To be fair, I can see where someone would not want to play for a family member.

Last edited:

This is an interesting story on former Viking Brad Johnson's son. He is also Mark Richt's nephew. However, he has chosen LSU over Miami. If he had chose a place like Stanford, you could say he wanted a higher academic university. Hard to use location as a reason, since I'm guessing most would find Miami more attractive than Baton Rouge.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mark-r...-max-johnson-commits-lsu-miami-032553593.html

Well that and Miami sucks

Brad Johnson... played here and didn't stay here?

Wha???

Rumors are floating around here in east Texas that Longview's 2020 QB Haynes King was recently offered. I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere though. I've watched him a few times. Pretty athletic kid. Has good quickness. Arm strength needs a lot of work but Longview is a power running team that mixes in enough passes to keep the defense honest.

Top Bottom