Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Rumors are floating around here in east Texas that Longview's 2020 QB Haynes King was recently offered. I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere though. I've watched him a few times. Pretty athletic kid. Has good quickness. Arm strength needs a lot of work but Longview is a power running team that mixes in enough passes to keep the defense honest.

https://www.news-journal.com/blogs/...cle_7a70390a-f380-11e8-ac76-c340210badc5.html

Minnesota became the third offer of the week and 14th overall for the junior quarterback on Wednesday, according to Lobo head coach John King.

Nice video. Reel him in PJ.
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7570992/5be1fb790c53e3034453ac92' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

YES PLEASE!!!

Why are they showing highlights against 8th grade teams?

He doesn't lack for size and seems to have a good motor. I'm not expect but does it seem to everyone else that he tends to stand up right away and play fairly high? Seems like with his power he might be better off trying to play a little lower and use his power more.

Either way he has lane clogging written all over him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It's really six with BCS offers. He's counting Lockett, who's from Minnesota but no longer lives here.

STrib: Five high school juniors who lead Minnesota's football class of 2020

Aidan Bouman, Buffalo, QB: A classic pro-style dropback passer who stands 6-5, with a strong arm and off-the-charts football IQ. Committed to Iowa State.

RaJa Nelson, Lakeville North, RB/DB: A jack-of-all-trades who does everything well — run, catch, return kicks, cover receivers and tackle in space.

Craig McDonald, SMB, WR/DB: Good field-stretcher at WR but at his best in coverage, with four interceptions and 16 passes defensed in 2018.

Jalen Suggs, SMB, QB: There are rumors that Suggs, a dual threat with a strong arm and exceptional running ability, may forgo his final season to prepare for basketball.

Jonathan Mann, Rosemount, WR: Long and lean (6-4, 190) with excellent ball skills and the speed to turn short gains into long ones. Committed to Minnesota.

https://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/978567

Go Gophers!!

Okay Boys and Girls, 2020 is up to bat. I know we used to wait until May to post a whole thread on when we'll get our first recruit, but those days are gone. 2 are in the fold already. Who will be next and how soon? I'd bet by May we have at least 10 kids committed. This is going to be fun.

Fleck yeah baby, bring on 2020!!
Really hoping we can get some of the in state talent on board very early to go along w Witt and Mann!
Johnson and Mcdonald would be huge gets for us, IMO.
Benny Sapp for the was a catalyst for the first PJ class, Kramer and Williamson for this most recent class and we have a great start to our next one!

Yes lets get Johnson locked up! That would be huge.
Hoping for Mcdonald early as well!

Than lets go get Tank Bigsby RB. Just because he would have the perfect RB name

Okay Boys and Girls, 2020 is up to bat. I know we used to wait until May to post a whole thread on when we'll get our first recruit, but those days are gone. 2 are in the fold already. Who will be next and how soon? I'd bet by May we have at least 10 kids committed. This is going to be fun.

You are correct 100%. Exciting to get the guys much earlier now.

You are correct 100%. Exciting to get the guys much earlier now.

Fleck mentioned it yesterday. The summer OVs are big to a school like Minnesota. Looks like June was full of visits earlier this year.

Just to level set expectations.
It is unlikely the 2020 class will surpass 2019 and 2018.
I'm not sure how many open spots there are going to be but that could be reason one.
In the Big Ten, no other school had a 20 point increase in recruiting, and then recruited two subsequent better classes the following two years.

If PJ or Jeff Brohm are able to do it in 2020, it would be the first time in 13+ years that it has happened in the Big Ten.

I'm not sure how many open spots there are going to be but that could be reason one.
In the Big Ten, no other school had a 20 point increase in recruiting, and then recruited two subsequent better classes the following two years.

If PJ or Jeff Brohm are able to do it in 2020, it would be the first time in 13+ years that it has happened in the Big Ten.

I would be surprised if this class is the full 25 which would bring ranking down. I am optimistic average stars will be higher though

I really think PJ will be able to take another step forward with this class, and I expect our on field results this season will be a big factor in being able to do so.

To me, 2020 can be much more about quality than quantity. The Gophers don't look to have the glaring weaknesses of the past. I like the commitments of Aaron it and Jonathan Mann. I'd like to get early commitments from Craig McDonald and Noah Pappas before they become well-known. It's going to be a struggle to get Kaden Johnson; but it's crucial for him to follow Carter Coughlin.
I hope that the new RB coach has recruiting strength in Texas or Georgia. As much as I like Mo Ibrahim, I want an outstanding RB in the 2020 class who is a breakaway threat, and 2 WR's who are fast! I want to continue to build the OL, and simply to add talent.
Finally, I think that it's gone under the radar that the Gophers are becoming more active in St. Louis and Vegas.

Wow...we agree!! Adding to your point, it becomes harder to recruit in some respects b/c coaches don't have (or at least shouldn't use) the carrot of early playing time when we will have a fair amount of experience. I'm sure some better recruits don't want to come to a place like MN and wait on the bench for a year or two, etc; others won't mind doing so. Consequently, by nature, I think the talent pool for the right type of kid gets a bit smaller.

Do you think the coaches look at the Star Ratings of a kid before they evaluate or offer them?

I think most coaching staffs use recruiting services to some degree. I think PJ has admitted that they use them.

If you think of average star rating as at least an approximate measure of how good the recruits are, it would be a good goal to improve on that. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of starting yet another debate on stars on this message board. I can see both sides of the argument.

Last edited:

I think most coaching staffs use recruiting services to some degree. I think PJ has admitted that they use them.

What do you think, maybe 85% of kids that hit their radar are through a service, and then maybe another 15% from coaching network and word of mouth?
I'm curious what's typical.

Top Bottom