Q&A: QB Tanner Morgan: "I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for Coach Fleck."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: QB Tanner Morgan: "I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for Coach Fleck."

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/747319?referrer_id=

Tanner Morgan, a 6-foot-2, 204-pound quarterback from Union (KY) Ryle, switched his commitment from Western Michigan to Minnesota to follow head coach P.J. Fleck. Morgan graduated early to enroll in Minnesota and will participate in spring practice with the Gophers.

Morgan helped lead Raiders to a 12-1 mark, losing to Scott County 42-40 in the Class 6A quarterfinals. He was named to the Louisville Courier-Journal's third All-State Football Team. Morgan finished his career as one of only 10 Kentucky passers to reach 10,000 career yards, and he became the 21st player in state history with 100 career touchdowns and the second who graduated from a Northern Kentucky school.

Morgan completed 179 of 276 passes for 2747 yards with 27 touchdowns and eight interceptions as a senior. He rushed 58 times for 320 yards and five touchdowns and doubled as a punter for the team.

Morgan was a four-year starter at quarterback, the last two years at Ryle after transferring from 1A Hazard.

Gopher Hole caught up with him to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: You visited Minnesota with your parents. What was that like?

Tanner Morgan: We came up Friday for the drive and started moving in on Saturday and toured around. I enrolled on Friday and started moving in things on the weekend. Our parents left early this morning.

Gopher Hole: What was their reaction to the Twin Cities?

Tanner Morgan: They loved Minneapolis. It was a beautiful city. It was kind of breathtaking at first, honestly. They loved the campus, the facilities and everything. They were shocked and amazed by everything.

Gopher Hole: Had you ever been to Minnesota before?

Tanner Morgan: No. This was actually my first time.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you had committed to Western Michigan under Coach Fleck. To be honest, not a lot of people would have the chutzpah to basically change your whole life to follow Coach Fleck. What does it say about Coach Fleck that he could convince you to come with him?

Tanner Morgan: Obviously, I think it shows the connection that he has with his players and his recruits who are committed to him. Very genuine and obviously got a connection where nine of us ended up flipping in two days of how bad people want to play for Coach Fleck and how bought into we are into his culture to the "Row the Boat" culture. We just totally bought in and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for Coach Fleck.

Gopher Hole: You were one of the first ones to switch from Western Michigan to Minnesota. Obviously, you have eight other kids who have done that. Does that make it easier, knowing that the guys you had already gotten to know and were looking forward to being teammates with in Kalamazoo, are going to be with you at Minnesota?

Tanner Morgan: I think that it makes it a little bit easier because there is obviously some of the old guys. Some guys were hurt because they didn't have the opportunity to come, but none of them have lashed out to us personally. I can imagine that they have some hurt feelings, but adding eight other guys and I already had close relationships with all of them, is really awesome, because like you said, I was looking forward to playing with them already and have great relationship with them, so it is awesome that we can still play together and get on a bigger stage with the same culture and same guys.

Gopher Hole: Who are you rooming with?

Tanner Morgan: Right now, I am rooming with John Mack, Connor Mohs and Calvin Swenson. It was kind of a crazy thing. We got lucky and we were able get rooms in the radius and rooms were open and I kind of got thrown in there.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do this past weekend with your parents in town?

Tanner Morgan: We went with our parents to the Mall of America. Obviously, we went into TCF, toured all the facilities plus got around campus a little bit, the bookstore and drove around the city a little bit.

Gopher Hole: What do you know about their quarterback situation at Minnesota?

Tanner Morgan: I don't know a whole lot. We had our first meeting today. It is a great group of guys and I am looking forward to playing with them.

Gopher Hole: You were planning on doing this at Western Michigan as well, but how much of an advantage does it give you graduating early, enrolling in school in January and being able to participate in spring practice? How much do you think that is going to help you as a freshman?

Tanner Morgan: I think that it is going to help a lot, definitely with you learning the offense and all that stuff. Strength and conditioning-wise is just huge because it is whole other semester that I won't have had otherwise. Yes, this is actually huge and I am looking forward to getting started.

Gopher Hole: Was that something that you had always thought about doing, graduating early?

Tanner Morgan: Yes, as soon as I started getting recruited my sophomore year and offers came in. My dad and I talked about it and that something that we were always interested in.

Gopher Hole: Your high school coach had a lot great things to say about you and he has coached several Division I quarterbacks. It seems like you were very close.

Tanner Morgan: Yes. I definitely was. I was close to really all of them, especially Coach Engler, the head coach. We had a great relationship. We would talk about anything and everything about the team. I have a great relationship with him and a lot of respect for him. He has helped me out a whole lot, obviously on the field and decisions along the way. We just had a great amount of respect for each other.

Gopher Hole: I don't know if you have talked to the coaches much about the offense, but is it going to be similar to what they did at Western Michigan?

Tanner Morgan: Yes. I would imagine so.

Gopher Hole: How do you feel that you that you fit in that type of system?

Tanner Morgan: I think that I definitely in. I was kind of a smart guy in high school and did a lot of RPO's and stuff like that. I can make all the throws. I am athletic enough to move around a little, so I definitely fit in the offense pretty well.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a quarterback?

Tanner Morgan: I think, first and foremost, I am a very solid leader. Getting on the same page as the play caller, utilizing what needs to be done, I think that I have a pretty strong arm. Pretty good mechanics. I think that I am mechanically sound. I can make all the throws on the football field. Accuracy. Touch. I think that I can create pretty well as well as outside the pocket.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for you as a freshman? Have you talked to the coaches about what is going to happen with you as a freshman?

Tanner Morgan: No. We haven't talked about anything like that. I am just going to come in and grind.

Gopher Hole: It has to be a little bit nice that the starting quarterback has graduated, so it is going to be an open competition. Is that something that you are looking forward to?

Tanner Morgan: Yes. Definitely, I am looking forward to competing with all the guys and learning from everybody as well. Growing together and competing.

Without knowing anything else about him, I see that he expresses himself well. He uses precise language, doesn't repeat himself excessively, and makes few of the grammatical mistakes that are common to his generation.

But can he throw the ball?

" In my little rented maroon 'n' gold row boat....little maroon 'n' gold row boat....Not much of a show boat, but it at least it'll go when I row , row, row ....... at least it will go when I row".....

I just read an interview with Tanner after he was offered by Louisville in 2015. At the time, it sounded like a done deal. The fact that Fleck was able to pry a Kentucky kid away from that speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn't lack confidence...always a sign of a good quarterback.

The main knock on him in his scout profile is size, outside of that they have good things to say about him. At this point we just need someone to come in and take the job, whether that is one of the guys on the roster currently or one of the new guys somebody has to step up and be the guy. Hopefully this staff is able to do a better job recruiting the QB position than the Kill/Claeys group did (Seth Green being a wild card in this of course since we have yet to see him play).

The main knock on him in his scout profile is size, outside of that they have good things to say about him. At this point we just need someone to come in and take the job, whether that is one of the guys on the roster currently or one of the new guys somebody has to step up and be the guy. Hopefully this staff is able to do a better job recruiting the QB position than the Kill/Claeys group did (Seth Green being a wild card in this of course since we have yet to see him play).

Quarterback has been the one position the U of M has always struggled to hit a home run with. I mean we've had decent QBs with some being better than others, but when have we had a QB that could truly take us to the next level? I mean, what kind of an impact could a top rated QB have had on this season's squad? If this staff can get that superstar QB to come here, Fleck will be around for a very long time, imho.

He reminds me a bit of Phillip Nelson. I am obviously not talking about any of the off the field stuff.

I mean that as a compliment. He seems to be a natural passer and be athletic enough.

I think Tanner is going to come in and push for the starting job right away.

He reminds me a bit of Phillip Nelson. I am obviously not talking about any of the off the field stuff.

I mean that as a compliment. He seems to be a natural passer and be athletic enough.

I think Tanner is going to come in and push for the starting job right away.

I'd like him to do a bit better than Phillip did.

Sounds like a good kid. His talk of touch and making plays outside of the pocket makes him sound Aaron Rodgers like.

I think it's between Morgan and Rhoda for your 2017 starter, and I hope it's Tanner. Really like this kid.

I am not excited about starting a true freshman and hoping he RSs. Hoping he isn't the best option there. CR15 doesn't really excite me either. I'm hoping Demry, Seth, or the JuCo QB stand out and start. I'm hopeful Demry can do it. I keep hearing what a great passer he is and I'm confident he will look better than he did in limited play as a Freshman. I'm not sure why folks in here seem to write Croft off?

Sounds like a good kid. His talk of touch and making plays outside of the pocket makes him sound Aaron Rodgers like.

That's who reminded me of watching his tape. He has wheels too, and very good pocket presence.

Not sure what we have in Croft and McLaurin, but would hope one of those or Rhoda earns the starting position next season. Would provide this kid some time to gain strength and understanding of the offense. Looks like he will be a player, but jumping from HS to BIG in one year doesn't happen too often.

I am not excited about starting a true freshman and hoping he RSs. Hoping he isn't the best option there. CR15 doesn't really excite me either. I'm hoping Demry, Seth, or the JuCo QB stand out and start. I'm hopeful Demry can do it. I keep hearing what a great passer he is and I'm confident he will look better than he did in limited play as a Freshman. I'm not sure why folks in here seem to write Croft off?

I know for my part I never really had much hope for Croft right from the get go because a tall athletic QB with legit skills doesn't get overlooked by everyone. He always seemed like a massive project and while it is possible he may end up panning out, my gut feeling is that the odds are against it. Clearly I hope I am wrong but I will be surprised if Croft ever becomes a solid QB here.

I think that's the hope of the coaching staff. If not, there's a fifth-year senior who can take the reins for a year.

Nothing against Rhoda but if it all shakes out and he is the best option we have it is going to be a really long year. His skill set is really really limited. If we complained about Mitch at QB I can't even imagine what the moaning and complaining would sound like with Rhoda at the helm all season. It would be epic.

Agree with all of this. Burns says Croft suffers from inconsistency, but that's all I've heard. So many here are judging him based on coming in as a true freshman for less than a quarter in arguably the worst overall game of the Kill/Claeys era. That will be two years behind him next fall.

I think it's because there were some less than flattering reports that he hadn't developed the way the staff was hoping and he had been allegedly passed in the depth chart, as well as the limited amount he played he looked pretty rough.

Additionally, everyone kept thinking Leidner would turn a corner after another year and he never did (stat-wise he regressed). So now I think a lot of people are weary of thinking Croft will suddenly look better. I'm skeptical myself, but I hope I"m wrong and he wins the Heisman here. Regardless, with Green's and Williams' futures in question, it's good to have another guy to compete with Rhoda and Croft.

I think it's because there were some less than flattering reports that he hadn't developed the way the staff was hoping and he had been allegedly passed in the depth chart, as well as the limited amount he played he looked pretty rough.

Additionally, everyone kept thinking Leidner would turn a corner after another year and he never did (stat

The not so flattering reports you have read of Croft are GH reporters, I wouldn't put too much weight on that..

Top Bottom