Athlon: Early Big Ten 2017 Predictions (Big Ten West: #5. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

5. Minnesota
P.J. Fleck elevated Western Michigan’s program to new heights, and the former Northern Illinois receiver hopes to do the same in Minneapolis for a Minnesota team coming off a successful nine-win campaign in 2016. Fleck’s first order of business was the 2017 signing class and all signs point to a fast finish on the recruiting trail. As far as the team returning for Fleck, the biggest question mark for the Golden Gophers will be at quarterback after the departure of Mitch Leidner. Former walk-on Conor Rhoda is the team’s most-experienced option, but incoming freshman Tanner Morgan, junior college recruit Neil McLaurin, sophomore Demry Croft and redshirt freshman Mark Williams will factor into the mix. Regardless of which quarterback starts, expect to see plenty from running backs Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith (combined 1,808 yards last year) behind an offensive line that loses only one senior (Jonah Pirsig). The Golden Gophers limited opponents to 22.1 points per game last season and will be under the leadership of former Arkansas coordinator Robb Smith. Tackle Steven Richardson and linebackers Blake Cashman and Jonathan Celestin will be the leaders for Smith to build around in 2017.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-big-ten-football-predictions-2017

Go Gophers!!

per Athlon:

5. Minnesota
P.J. Fleck elevated Western Michigan’s program to new heights, and the former Northern Illinois receiver hopes to do the same in Minneapolis for a Minnesota team coming off a successful nine-win campaign in 2016. Fleck’s first order of business was the 2017 signing class and all signs point to a fast finish on the recruiting trail. As far as the team returning for Fleck, the biggest question mark for the Golden Gophers will be at quarterback after the departure of Mitch Leidner. Former walk-on Conor Rhoda is the team’s most-experienced option, but incoming freshman Tanner Morgan, junior college recruit Neil McLaurin, sophomore Demry Croft and redshirt freshman Mark Williams will factor into the mix. Regardless of which quarterback starts, expect to see plenty from running backs Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith (combined 1,808 yards last year) behind an offensive line that loses only one senior (Jonah Pirsig). The Golden Gophers limited opponents to 22.1 points per game last season and will be under the leadership of former Arkansas coordinator Robb Smith. Tackle Steven Richardson and linebackers Blake Cashman and Jonathan Celestin will be the leaders for Smith to build around in 2017.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-big-ten-football-predictions-2017

Go Gophers!!

Mark Williams gets a mention, but not Seth Green?

Don't have a problem with prediction of fifth (for now). Wisc is a given above us; Northwestern has QB and RB back, Iowa is solid, Nebraska is debatable. I have 2 big questions: Who is our QB? We are in good shape at RB and on the o-line. The other big question: will our new DC blow up what was working? He is a 4-3 guy; is he willing to adapt to a 3-4 2-5 look that gave us the #21 D in the country? I don't want to see 3 LBs on field have 3 more studs watching from the sideline!

Technically, the O-Line is losing Mr. Tyler Moore at Center also, not just Pirsig. But there is some returning talent on the line. My hope is that the returning JUCO O-Linemen, after what it takes to perform at the B1G level, use the offseason to get after it and get in shape. They all started at one point or another (Calhoun, Wright, Greene) but I don't know that any had a stellar season. How well things go next year I think hinge a lot on how far those three guys progress between now and August.

I'm pretty sure Athlon article are largely written by a computer script that just gleans data from other sites.

I think Minnesota has been ranked #5 of 6/7 every preseason poll in every magazine every year since they started doing divisions. Whatever happened the year before is always irrelevant. We're #5!

I think Minnesota has been ranked #5 of 6/7 every preseason poll in every magazine every year since they started doing divisions. Whatever happened the year before is always irrelevant. We're #5!

Since the B1G moved to divisions the Gophers have finished in order 2011-2016: 6, 6, 4, 2, 5, 4. Average finish - 4.5, so that 5th place prediction shouldn't be too surprising.

It's like ranking Wisconsin in the West... they get that 1 spot until someone takes it from them consistently. Hasn't happened....

So many problems with the description of the team... but I think the #5 is right on so there is that.

Don't have a problem with prediction of fifth (for now). Wisc is a given above us; Northwestern has QB and RB back, Iowa is solid, Nebraska is debatable. I have 2 big questions: Who is our QB? We are in good shape at RB and on the o-line. The other big question: will our new DC blow up what was working? He is a 4-3 guy; is he willing to adapt to a 3-4 2-5 look that gave us the #21 D in the country? I don't want to see 3 LBs on field have 3 more studs watching from the sideline!

Based on what Iowa loses for starters in skill positions on offense...not sure I'd call them solid.

Since the B1G moved to divisions the Gophers have finished in order 2011-2016: 6, 6, 4, 2, 5, 4. Average finish - 4.5, so that 5th place prediction shouldn't be too surprising.

For the Gophers to win 9 games they will need to beat one of those four teams above them. Toss in MSU and that makes 6 or 7 wins a distinct possibility.

It's like ranking Wisconsin in the West... they get that 1 spot until someone takes it from them consistently. Hasn't happened....

I think Iowa was widely picked as the best team in the West before the start of the 2016 season. Wisconsin started the season unranked.

Top Bottom