STrib: Ex-Vikings QB Brad Johnson's son gets college offers as 8th grader

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jason:

The son of former Vikings quarterback and Super Bowl champion Brad Johnson is catching the attention of college coaches around the country.

Max Johnson, just a freshman at Oconee County High School near Athens, Ga., already has two scholarship offers from Florida State and Miami. Both were offered to Max as an eighth-grader.

The Class of 2020 lefthanded passer is 6-2, 187 pounds and scouted as a pro-style quarterback.

Miami coach Mark Richt, also Max’s uncle, told The Palm Beach Post his nephew is “a legitimate baller.” The Hurricanes were the first to offer Max in February 2016.

Florida State, where Brad played college football, offered Max a few months later.

The teenager’s first-ever tweet announced his offer from Miami, and in June he posted a photo with FSU coach Jimbo Fisher to announce the Seminoles’ offer.

http://www.startribune.com/like-fat...rad-johnson-s-son-is-football-star/411072405/

Go Gophers!!

I disagree with this sort of thing. 8th Grader? So if the kid says yes. Are the colleges bound to that? No. This is part of the mess in college football.

I disagree with this sort of thing. 8th Grader? So if the kid says yes. Are the colleges bound to that? No. This is part of the mess in college football.

No, nothing is binding. Happens in high school hockey all the time. Commit as a 9th grader and change it up after year 1 of juniors...

As bound as they are as when a senior gives a verbal commitment before a coaching change. It's verbal, not written.

The ethical question is whether a school who accepts his commitment should back out four years later when he's not that good.

Is this really that big of a story?

The kid was offered by his uncle and then his dad's alma mater.

Still waiting for the day that some school/coach - based on new genetic testing breakthroughs - makes an offer to a fetus.

(and if that actually happens, I hope I don't live to see it....)

I'd imagine in the case of Miami, it's kind of binding for Mark Richt as long as he's still employed then. You don't want to make mom mad in this case.

Is this really that big of a story?

The kid was offered by his uncle and then his dad's alma mater.

Yes and no depending upon the situation. We hear of these stories from time to time. The bottom line is this. If the school offers and the kid accepts. I wish that they would hold it to the school. It would eliminate the overloading and then the school dumping on them. Also in another sense we were guilty of this somewhat when we changed coaches.

Very impressive to be offered that young, but can this kid pass, catch, and run the ball in all by himself? Check out the juke by BJ! Devastating!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-zqNG3tl7Aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes and no depending upon the situation. We hear of these stories from time to time. The bottom line is this. If the school offers and the kid accepts. I wish that they would hold it to the school. It would eliminate the overloading and then the school dumping on them. Also in another sense we were guilty of this somewhat when we changed coaches.

If coaches are held to offers, kids need to be held to commits. That would eliminate a significant amount of drama. Only issue would be when a coach left the school.

Have we offered scholarships to the Mauer kids yet? They may still be in diapers, but the running joke in town for years was that Joe Mauer was the best QB in the state.

Doesnt hurt to be the first to offer...

When do we post the recruiting thread for 2035?

Sonogram.jpg

I missed this story. Did he perform well as an 8th grade varsity starter?

Schools have to go after way more guys than they intend to bring in because they won't get them all. They need to make offers to a lot of them to stay competitive with other schools that make offers. It's possible that more people accept than they have spots, so schools need to be able to pull out of offers.

Top Bottom