New Gopher Football Staff Announced Today

It's actually fairly common, as the te's are an extension of the OL. When I played the TE's would do half the practice with the OL and half with the WR's

Yup. Interestingly enough Callahan coached the interior line at Western Michigan and Bill Kenney coached the tackles & tight ends. Callahan previously coached tackles & tight ends himself at Texas-El Paso.

I think it's a good plan when a team wants to have a good running game. Tight ends block like tackles and over half the plays will be running plays.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Done deal! Is two years typical for assistant coaches?

I bet the Board of Regents could have gotten assistants for a lot less and without such a long commitment. :)

No Dan O'Brien. Does he jump to the AD staff?

I was wondering the same thing. I am not sure what his relationship is like with Coyle and Fleck but I would hope they can find a spot for him in the administration side helping oversee the football program.

Wonder what will happen with Bart Miller. There was a lot of excitement around here when he was brought in and Nasty was a favorite term.

Wonder what will happen with Bart Miller. There was a lot of excitement around here when he was brought in and Nasty was a favorite term.

Maybe Barry writes him a recommendation letter?

We never saw enough of any of those new coaches to know anything.

I was excited about the hiring of Miller as OL coach last year. I agree that it was too early to judge some of them, but I had issues with Jay Johnson and the play calling all year.

Johnson gave up on the run too frequently, and Shannon Brooks did not get enough carries once he recovered from his foot injury. Jay Johnson might have ended up as a great OC, but I saw a lot last year I did not like, including the Wisconsin game and the decision to have Mitch drop back and throw with 20 seconds left in the half vs. Purdue (-7). I thought the Limegrover team, once freed from Jerry Kill was better than what Jay Johnson came up with.

I hope the new guy is able to get everything possible out of Smith and Brooks next year. Maybe even #2 Gentry or the other remaining WR hype guy will appear from the netherworld and remind us all of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.

I was excited about the hiring of Miller as OL coach last year. I agree that it was too early to judge some of them, but I had issues with Jay Johnson and the play calling all year.

Johnson gave up on the run too frequently, and Shannon Brooks did not get enough carries once he recovered from his foot injury. Jay Johnson might have ended up as a great OC, but I saw a lot last year I did not like, including the Wisconsin game and the decision to have Mitch drop back and throw with 20 seconds left in the half vs. Purdue (-7). I thought the Limegrover team, once freed from Jerry Kill was better than what Jay Johnson came up with.

I hope the new guy is able to get everything possible out of Smith and Brooks next year. Maybe even #2 Gentry or the other remaining WR hype guy will appear from the netherworld and remind us all of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.

Yeah, we're going to find out soon enough if it was the players or the staff holding up the train. No transfer whispers from Holland or Gentry yet.

#ballsforHolls

I had very similar thoughts

I agree with your analysis. Let's hope the future is awesome! WMU was very good on offense with a very similar philosophy of ball control, time of possession etc Gophers just didn't execute the plan, especially with leads.

I was wondering the same thing. I am not sure what his relationship is like with Coyle and Fleck but I would hope they can find a spot for him in the administration side helping oversee the football program.

Maybe he'll go back into being the Smykowski roll he had communicating between Kill and Megatounge. :) I mentioned before I would have been shocked if either O'Brien or Sherels had been retained as coaches. I hope both end up with the U in some capacity. That would be easier for O'Brien since he has that experience in the admin side of things.

But knowing the U they'd both have to apply for an open position (assuming there is one) since their coaching contracts were terminated. May even be prohibited from being re-employed since they were terminated. Probably violates some policy somewhere... :(

Top Bottom