Sawvel to Wake Forest (Update: Sawvel out at WF)

Just wondered if you were stating that some of our other coaches ended up there- nothing more than thst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very pleased to know that Jay is not going to be in the Big Ten, especially at UW (or Nebraska).

He and Claeys proved they had an eye for finding right recruits with the potential to be turned into "elite" players equal to or just barely below the level of the OSU/ Michigan 4/5 star recruits, once they hit the field (not the star ratings) especially in the DB space. The LB group was starting to resemble D backs as well, with the D line being a bit behind. There are only so many Warren Sapp type players out there and they all tend to go to Alabama, LSU, Clemson and OSU, so I'll give Claeys and Jay a pass on the D line. It was getting better, and there was some depth.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow. I guess he doesn’t get a honeymoon to get his guys in there likeother coaches.. Maybe it was a personality clash.

Wow. I guess he doesn’t get a honeymoon to get his guys in there likeother coaches.. Maybe it was a personality clash.

To let someone go 1/3 of the way through the year there was almost certainly something behind the scenes going on. Could be anything.

Although I guess it could’ve been the 1100 yards and 97 points given up the last two weeks. But I’d guess something behind the scenes. BC is okay and ND is good. Seems knee jerk to do it after playing a top 10 team if it was just performance related.

How could Sawel be out as D Coordinator? I was told right here on GHole he was the greatest ever.

More likely a “cover my own ass” by sacrificing the new guy. Sawvel is a rockstar coach.

I could see him joining Claeys at Wazzu, maybe start as quality control rather than a position coach and take over DBs again.

I could see him joining Claeys at Wazzu, maybe start as quality control rather than a position coach and take over DBs again.

Could happen. Get the band back together. Think that would make 3 former MN coaches on staff. I’d take ‘em...

Hey, find those posts for us.

Well, in this thread, it's post #'s:
19,22, 26
30, and 33

And a little of #17 as well.

You'll have to search other threads to find more of the glowing reviews.

More likely a “cover my own ass” by sacrificing the new guy. Sawvel is a rockstar coach.

THIS. He did a fantastic job for us and is a proven coach. It's really their loss. Any team would be lucky to have a coordinator like him.

I know a somewhat recent defensive player (played under Brewster and Kill and was a starter multiple years). He speaks extremely highly of both Sawvel and Claeys. He said Claeys was a defensive genius. Personally, I think they worked wonders with the talent they had.

I know a somewhat recent defensive player (played under Brewster and Kill and was a starter multiple years). He speaks extremely highly of both Sawvel and Claeys. He said Claeys was a defensive genius. Personally, I think they worked wonders with the talent they had.

Agreed. And they got some gophers NFL paychecks that weren’t of NFL caliber.

He may be a very good DB coach, but he hasn't really proven anything as a defensive coordinator. Claeys was still running the defense as a head coach.

Maybe they meant Claeys.

Really? Why do you continue to do that? You are the one who continues to bring Claeys up every chance you get, and crown anyone who provides anything less than praise for your beloved PJ a Claeys supporter.

Really? Why do you continue to do that? You are the one who continues to bring Claeys up every chance you get, and crown anyone who provides anything less than praise for your beloved PJ a Claeys supporter.

If you don't trash Claeys and Kill then you aren't a real PJ fan.

You interpreted that wrong.
Claeys was a very good D-Coordinator. Thought he did an excellent job as D-coordinator.

My points of contention with Claeys were all regarding his responsibilities as head coach and his own negotiation of his own affairs with the U regarding that job.

Our defensive performance in the bowl game was genius. I’d love to have him on the staff.

Well, in this thread, it's post #'s:
19,22, 26
30, and 33

And a little of #17 as well.

You'll have to search other threads to find more of the glowing reviews.

Not one of the posts had anything near “greatest ever”. Keep up the charade.

This was a face saving move by the HC and not a good one. Now he can be out of that mess and look for something else. That HC will be gone in a year

I can picture Sawvel joining Claeys at WAZZU down the road. They worked together well.

Being let go early may have an advantage in a early head start to find a job instead of at the end of the season when an exodus of fired coaches and assistant coaches flood the market.

I could have missed it, but did they get into what the problems were?

I could have missed it, but did they get into what the problems were?

From the article:

The repetitiveness of defensive mistakes between losses to Boston College and Notre Dame — some of them the same that plagued the Deacons in the second half of last season — likely cost Sawvel his job. Clawson’s comments after the Thursday night loss to Boston College last week, that he needed to be more involved with the secondary, were a warning signal. When some of the same mistakes were made against Notre Dame, in terms of communication and alignments, the writing was on the wall.

“We’ve got to look at what we’re doing and who we’re doing it with. And we’ve got a lot of football left,” Clawson said after Saturday’s loss. “Even in a week that you think you simplify things and you put some things in to stop certain things and they still get those things that you put the defense in. So, our kids are giving us great effort, they’re playing hard, they’re working hard, they’re watching film. I just don’t think we’re putting them in the best position right now.”

In Wake's last seven games against P5 competition, they've given up 48, 43, 24, 31, 52, 41 and 56 points (42 ppg). No bueno.

This was a face saving move by the HC and not a good one. Now he can be out of that mess and look for something else. That HC will be gone in a year

Really? WF’s record has improved every year under Clawson. I highly doubt he’s in trouble. Sawvel inherited an experienced top 25 defense, and they’ve gotten progressively worse.

Top Bottom