Sawvel to Wake Forest (Update: Sawvel out at WF)

Bold Prediction: Wake Forest leads in targeting calls in 2017.

Glad he's not in the Big Ten. Robb has a tough act to follow.

A very good landing spot, a chance to make a difference, away from the B1G.

Sawvel is a good coach but I find it hard to predict that just based on his time under TC he will work out... was it TC or Sawvel ?

Kudos to him! Glad to see him land quickly.

Thank you Claeys and Sawvel. There was a time when I refused to stand up on 3rd downs because I was so pessimistic and jaded about the team acyltually making a stop. Those guys changed that.

Based on defensive S&P the Gophers were 6th in the B1G this year, 23rd overall. Wake Forest was actually 22nd overall, yet 8th in the ACC.
cf1275e42e1754555f2b91277405dcd7.jpg

Really sad to lose him - and his colleagues. I hope we don't go back to the rotten pass defenses we had seemingly forever.

Good question

Sawvel is a good coach but I find it hard to predict that just based on his time under TC he will work out... was it TC or Sawvel ?

I don't know the answer either but I lean to Tracy for a few reasons. Sawvel is a really good DB's coach, no doubt. I just think Tracy is the architect of the successful defense. Guessing Jerry Kill saw it that way too.

Best example for the discussion in reverse... Gophers hired Dan Monson to coach basketball...nothing happened...Monson moved to Long Beach St and less has happened. He does enough to continue coaching. But Mark Few the Gonzaga assistant under Monson takes over as head coach when Monson leaves and Gonzaga goes from pretty successful to pretty much Top 10 every year, while Monson can't have even one Top 10 year along the way. Not always easy to tell from a far who the person responsible for the success is.

Sawvel to Wake Forest

Sawvel was 100% the architect of that secondary and the development of multiple NFL caliber DB's. Sawvel will be a excellent college football head coach and we will all look back in wonder that we had him on our staff. I was completely skeptical of TC being anybodies head coach because of how he comes across personally (I was wrong but it will take another perfect storm to happen again), Sawvel helped make that possible. Sawvel wasn't long for the gophers anyway (one more year as DC then HC offer) but it's still sad to see him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawvel was 100% the architect of that secondary and the development of multiple NFL caliber DB's. Sawvel will be a excellent college football head coach and we will all look back in wonder that we had him on our staff. I was completely skeptical of TC being anybodies head coach because of how he comes across personally (I was wrong but it will take another perfect storm to happen again), Sawvel helped make that possible. Sawvel wasn't long for the gophers anyway (one more year as DC then HC offer) but it's still sad to see him go.

Agree that Sawvel will get a shot as a head coach in the very near future so even if he had stayed he would have been gone soon. He has always struck me as having the makeup of a head coach in the same way that Tracy always felt like a career coordinator and not a head coach.

It's a good situation for Sawvel, taking over a defense that's already good, like he did at Minnesota. Per the article linked in the OP, Wake's previous DC was poached by Notre Dame.

I don't know the answer either but I lean to Tracy for a few reasons. Sawvel is a really good DB's coach, no doubt. I just think Tracy is the architect of the successful defense. Guessing Jerry Kill saw it that way too.

Best example for the discussion in reverse... Gophers hired Dan Monson to coach basketball...nothing happened...Monson moved to Long Beach St and less has happened. He does enough to continue coaching. But Mark Few the Gonzaga assistant under Monson takes over as head coach when Monson leaves and Gonzaga goes from pretty successful to pretty much Top 10 every year, while Monson can't have even one Top 10 year along the way. Not always easy to tell from a far who the person responsible for the success is.

Yeah I agree. I'm inclined to favor TC more.

TC acknowledged that JS was responsible for the unorthodox and novel game plan for WSU- I think Sawvel had grown throughout the year as a D.C. and is poised to become one as good as his mentor- which I have no doubt makes TC very proud.

TC acknowledged that JS was responsible for the unorthodox and novel game plan for WSU- I think Sawvel had grown throughout the year as a D.C. and is poised to become one as good as his mentor- which I have no doubt makes TC very proud.

Yeah he outright said that about the WSU game.

I kinda expect the extra blitzing this past year was both of them. Jerry might not have been as big a fan of blitzing a lot.

Best of luck to Coach Sawvel. A difficult season with the off field stuff, the loss of his father.... He will be missed; I wish him all of the best, but please leave our recruits alone :D

You are nuts. Our D line has been below average Claeys entire time here, LBs pretty good, and our DBs great. Our DBs are the entire reason our defense hasn't been lousy the last 5 years. Sawvel is the best coach on the entire staff, it's a shame to lose him. Funny perusing some Wake boards that they are on the fence about this hire because Big West offenses aren't great. Looney tunes. What we did to NW, Iowa, and WSU was incredible. And our offense pretty much stunk and put a ton of pressure on the defense as well.

I have a new team to root for.....along with Washington and Georgia Tech. I'm just happy that he didn't end up at Wisconsin.

Top Bottom