Oregon players hospitalized following workouts

Oops my bad I didn't realize this had already been posted in another thread.

Is an interesting article. More serious than I thought it was when I read it. Wonder what the fallout will be.

Oops my bad I didn't realize this had already been posted in another thread.

Thank you for posting. No need to apologize. The other thread wasn't even about Oregon, so not sure why this link would be posted there.

These S&C's put sooo much pressure on these guys to lift heavier and this is the result. It's dangerous.

Some of these coaching staffs need to take a real hard look at these off season workouts. Not sure what they really gain by pushing the players to the point of guys ending up in the hospital, don't really see how that is going to help win games in the fall. Work them out, keep them in shape but don't push it to the point where guys are getting injured or sick.

Did Demetrius Douglas change his commitment before or after this came out?

Personally, I make it a rule to avoid overly strenuous workouts. At my age, 30 minutes on the exercise bike and some sit-ups is about all I can handle.

"There's a thin line between tough and crazy, and you're flirting with it"- from 'Remember the Titans'

Some of these coaching staffs need to take a real hard look at these off season workouts. Not sure what they really gain by pushing the players to the point of guys ending up in the hospital, don't really see how that is going to help win games in the fall. Work them out, keep them in shape but don't push it to the point where guys are getting injured or sick.

It's to create a culture of buying into the program. Part of Oregon's problems over the past few years has been their lack of discipline and focus which has really been manifested by sloppy play and low effort on the field. Part of the reason Helfrich was fired so quickly despite being only a few years removed from a national title game appearance. Coach Taggart is establishing with the players that you better be invested in the program, or you can go somewhere else. It's not about getting stronger/faster, its to get the players to keep going when it feels like you're going to die. That definitely helps win games. No more lack of effort and focus.

I'll agree it's probably pushing a little too far when guys end up in the hospital but you never know the condition they were in beforehand. If they had been jacking around and gotten out of shape since their season ended, then had a rude awakening with some tough workouts its absolutely possible to end up in the hospital that way. To be honest from the articles I've read about it, the workouts really weren't anything too crazy. When I played college ball and we had a coaching regime change, we went through the same process. Our new strength coach absolutely kicked our asses in a way that is pretty hard to describe (but similar to what was described in articles about the events at Oregon). It was very effective in establishing a culture of buying in and building mental toughness and completely changed the attitude of the entire program from top to bottom.

I can guarantee you Oregon will be way less soft than they've been in year's past.

(first post on this forum, happy to be part of the discussion here)

It's to create a culture of buying into the program. Part of Oregon's problems over the past few years has been their lack of discipline and focus which has really been manifested by sloppy play and low effort on the field. Part of the reason Helfrich was fired so quickly despite being only a few years removed from a national title game appearance. Coach Taggart is establishing with the players that you better be invested in the program, or you can go somewhere else. It's not about getting stronger/faster, its to get the players to keep going when it feels like you're going to die. That definitely helps win games. No more lack of effort and focus.

I'll agree it's probably pushing a little too far when guys end up in the hospital but you never know the condition they were in beforehand. If they had been jacking around and gotten out of shape since their season ended, then had a rude awakening with some tough workouts its absolutely possible to end up in the hospital that way. To be honest from the articles I've read about it, the workouts really weren't anything too crazy. When I played college ball and we had a coaching regime change, we went through the same process. Our new strength coach absolutely kicked our asses in a way that is pretty hard to describe (but similar to what was described in articles about the events at Oregon). It was very effective in establishing a culture of buying in and building mental toughness and completely changed the attitude of the entire program from top to bottom.

I can guarantee you Oregon will be way less soft than they've been in year's past.

(first post on this forum, happy to be part of the discussion here)

Sounds like they need Les Steckel as coach...

It's to create a culture of buying into the program...

If that was the purpose, it seems to me it probably was not as effective as intended.

I'll agree it's probably pushing a little too far when guys end up in the hospital...

I could get it if one player who is susceptible to this condition is affected. But when it is three in this case, or certainly 13 in the case of Iowa, something is wrong. Hospitalization is a big deal. The coaches must be accountable.

Finally, while I may disagree with you on some points, welcome to Gopherhole!

Didnt want to start a new thread but the last two players were released from the hospital today.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-injured-offseason-workouts-released-hospital

Several days in the hospital. And this quote form the article:

'The university suspended new strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde for a month without pay after the players were admitted following workouts that he led. A source told ESPN that the workouts consisted of circuits including 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 body weight squats and two planks (30 seconds each) on a timed count by Oderinde. The source said the team had been split up into three groups -- based on class schedules -- and if one player in the group failed to make the time, the unit started over from the beginning of that rep."

How in the world does this guy, based on the results of his direct actions, keep his job?

And from the head coach:

"As the head football coach, I hold myself responsible for all of our football-related activities, and the safety of our students must come first," coach Willie Taggart said in a statement after Oderinde's suspension. "I have addressed the issue with our strength and conditioning staff, and I fully support the actions taken today by the university."

If he is responsible, why has he not resigned, since clearly the safety of the students did not come first? Or at the least why hasn't he fired the strength and conditioning coach? Did he address the issue by saying: "Don't embarrass me again?"

Several days in the hospital. And this quote form the article:

'The university suspended new strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde for a month without pay after the players were admitted following workouts that he led. A source told ESPN that the workouts consisted of circuits including 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 body weight squats and two planks (30 seconds each) on a timed count by Oderinde. The source said the team had been split up into three groups -- based on class schedules -- and if one player in the group failed to make the time, the unit started over from the beginning of that rep."

How in the world does this guy, based on the results of his direct actions, keep his job?

And from the head coach:

"As the head football coach, I hold myself responsible for all of our football-related activities, and the safety of our students must come first," coach Willie Taggart said in a statement after Oderinde's suspension. "I have addressed the issue with our strength and conditioning staff, and I fully support the actions taken today by the university."

If he is responsible, why has he not resigned, since clearly the safety of the students did not come first? Or at the least why hasn't he fired the strength and conditioning coach? Did he address the issue by saying: "Don't embarrass me again?"

That's not a very demanding workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a very demanding workout.

Appreciate your opinion, but I think any time three players are hospitalized, two for several days, one might reasonably wonder what the hell is going on.

Unless of course, this kind of thing happens all the time with such workouts and it is merely goes unreported. Happy to reconsider if there is evidence for that.

Sounds to me like Oregon needs to change their culture. Won't be good again for a decade.

Appreciate your opinion, but I think any time three players are hospitalized, two for several days, one might reasonably wonder what the hell is going on.

Unless of course, this kind of thing happens all the time with such workouts and it is merely goes unreported. Happy to reconsider if there is evidence for that.

Don't think it happens all the time at all- with today's media no one would be able to cover up such occurrences. I think either the reporting of the workout is inaccurate, the amount of time allotted for completion of a cycle was exceedingly low resulting in doing many cycles- or possibly as a Beaver supporter- the Ducks are just soft![emoji57][emoji6]

Top Bottom