Thinking of Tracy

ncgo4

Reaction score
Hearing rumors of possible adjustment problems with Coach Claeys has me concerned. I met him at 2 bowl games and there is little question in my mind that he was a gentleman and a fine coach. I do not like the way he was treated by, especially, President Kaler. The termination, however, was guided by a contract Claeys had willingly signed with the University of Minnesota.

I understand he did so without the help of an agent...his bad! Hopefully, he learns from this mistake. Never-the-less he made well more than $1 million under the contract and was given a $500,000 severance package for terminating the contract. Just as the contract provided. He also had the opportunity to lead the Gophers to 2 very good seasons and 2 very good bowl victories. His resume as well as his bank accounts were well enhanced by his time with the University of Minnesota.

AD Coyle clearly determined, to his satisfaction and early, that Tracy was not the one to lead the University of Minnesota forward on a long term basis. It was his right and his duty to make that decision. Whether is was the lack of recruiting success, lack of butts in the seats, failure to successfully act to motivate supporters to donate $$$, or something else. It doesn't matter. An employment contract spells out the University's obligations in the event of a termination. While I have not read the contract, I highly doubt it has a "For Cause" clause in the agreement.

I hope Coach Claeys gets over his depression, or whatever, it is and is able to get on with his life. I look forward to seeing his at the helm as HC or DC again soon.

As to Coyle's decision, Coyle's bulb will dim or shine largely based on this single decision. It's way too early to tell which it will be, but certainly at this point in time, the energy level alone of Fleck seems like a win for the U.

It sucks to be fired, especially when it's the first time in your life. Lots of people get canned for the acts of their employees, which right or wrong is what happens when you are a supervisor. He will be fine, and will find work because he is a talented coach. He may never be a HC again, but being a DC is loads of fun.

Coaches are hired to be fired, and you are at the whim of your boss. Right or wrong on the "whys", Coyle was fully within his rights and obligations to do what he did. Claeys was not "his guy". Even I was concerned about whether Tracy could be the "face of the program" and Minnesota could succeed. It was only a matter of time. In the end, it was the right thing to do. Having Claeys around would have always put a face of the situation, long after the players were gone. Say wat you will, for most people, the same is not true of Coyle or Kaler.

I'm wondering if Claeys should try taking a defensive assistant job in the NFL.

Let's face it- the harsh reality is the Gophers have been a lower tier B1G team for many decades. He had them playing very solid defense for the 4-5 seasons. That's a huge resume builder.

In the nfl, no recruiting, he wouldn't have to deal with his players ****ing up off the field. It would be fun to see what he could do at that level

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Hearing rumors of possible adjustment problems with Coach Claeys has me concerned. I met him at 2 bowl games and there is little question in my mind that he was a gentleman and a fine coach. I do not like the way he was treated by, especially, President Kaler. The termination, however, was guided by a contract Claeys had willingly signed with the University of Minnesota.

I understand he did so without the help of an agent...his bad! Hopefully, he learns from this mistake. Never-the-less he made well more than $1 million under the contract and was given a $500,000 severance package for terminating the contract. Just as the contract provided. He also had the opportunity to lead the Gophers to 2 very good seasons and 2 very good bowl victories. His resume as well as his bank accounts were well enhanced by his time with the University of Minnesota.

AD Coyle clearly determined, to his satisfaction and early, that Tracy was not the one to lead the University of Minnesota forward on a long term basis. It was his right and his duty to make that decision. Whether is was the lack of recruiting success, lack of butts in the seats, failure to successfully act to motivate supporters to donate $$$, or something else. It doesn't matter. An employment contract spells out the University's obligations in the event of a termination. While I have not read the contract, I highly doubt it has a "For Cause" clause in the agreement.

I hope Coach Claeys gets over his depression, or whatever, it is and is able to get on with his life. I look forward to seeing his at the helm as HC or DC again soon.

As to Coyle's decision, Coyle's bulb will dim or shine largely based on this single decision. It's way too early to tell which it will be, but certainly at this point in time, the energy level alone of Fleck seems like a win for the U.

Coyle dimmed his own bulb by the way he fired Claeys. He didn't need a reason, he just needed to make his decision and move on. Instead, he melted down and embarrassed himself (I don't care) and embarrassed the university (I do care). He exposed his lack of professionalism, a total lack of integrity and all of this was exacerbated by his total failure of leadership from September 2 until the firing.

We should make him a care package with cheese and bubble bath and stuff.

Whatever he's doing these days, I hope it doesn't involve extra trips to the refrigerator. That wasn't meant to be a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's face it- the harsh reality is the Gophers have been a lower tier B1G team for many decades. He had them playing very solid defense for the 4-5 seasons. That's a huge resume builder.

In the nfl, no recruiting, he wouldn't have to deal with his players ****ing up off the field. It would be fun to see what he could do at that level

I think you're onto something! Not sure how his scheme would translate, but relative success of the guys we've sent to the NFL leads me to believe it'd translate!

Give TC some time, when you feel you've been lied to then stabbed in the back, it takes awhile to get your head on straight. I hope that we get an update in 3 to 4 weeks, I would expect by then, he'll have turned things around somewhat.

Ehhh, he got a raw deal but it's in the past. Nothing is gonna change. He is a fart in the wind at this point.

Give TC some time, when you feel you've been lied to then stabbed in the back, it takes awhile to get your head on straight. I hope that we get an update in 3 to 4 weeks, I would expect by then, he'll have turned things around somewhat.

Wonder if Limegrover gave him any advice?

I certainly don't agree that he presided over 2 "very good" seasons and 2 "very good" bowl victories, but I share your sentiment that I hope the best for Coach Claeys.

I so wish we could have him and Sawvel back on the D end of things...

The point is, he was not just fired. Tracy had his whole program trashed by the AD.
Totally uncalled for.

I certainly don't agree that he presided over 2 "very good" seasons and 2 "very good" bowl victories, but I share your sentiment that I hope the best for Coach Claeys.

When will the PJ-Bobos stop belittling last year's results? You can be pro-PJ w/o pretending last year wasn't a success (or very good). Kids are taught history in school in part for perspective. Look at Gopher Football history. This thinking is so tiresome.

I don't understand this poo Tracy stuff he got 1.5 million to be the head man at the U... it didnt last as long as he wanted..... he will still land on his feet...he didn't suffer a horrendous injury in some unforeseen accident
As far as last year being a success ... maybe 9 wins if Tv he goal is to be the best of the lousy and the lousiest of the best then successful it was otherwise it was a ok season

If this is correct then maybe this was part of a character flaw that Coyle saw with him. Claeys took the job offer from an interim AD that was not long for Gopher nation. He should have understood the risk, that he might not hit it off with his new boss to-be, whose highest profile employee is the head football coach.

I can understand that after over 20 years of having a security blanket in Jerry Kill, this can be a system shock. The man has no defendants, made a hunk of change and was given a 500K buyout. He just came off a very good season and coached an amazing bowl win. He should be a hot commodity right now, and that is what he needs to focus upon.

I actually agree with the wind comment above, but I don't think that I would quite put it that way.

I would say that while 2016 was a success, it could have been much more successful. I think the little momentum and excitement the program had was lost in the OT loss at Penn State. With Iowa coming to TCF Bank Stadium the following week, there was just no excitement surrounding that game and it showed with the attendance. Pretty disappointing for your biggest home game of the year in early October nonetheless. The team's performance in the Iowa game was lackluster. Love him or hate him, Tracy Claeys was a great coach but I just don't think he excited too many people.

A lot of people also need to remember it was Claeys himself who took the 3-year deal with the low buyout to become the head coach in November 2015. Glen Mason said on KFAN that was a big mistake by Claeys and he should have had an attorney work through the contract with him. Mason also said that no other coach would come to Minnesota without the guarantee of a 5-year deal. Claeys desperately wanted the job and seemed ok with the 3-year deal at the time. He should have known that a permanent AD would be arriving on campus within 12 months and his job as head coach could be in jeopardy regardless of the on-the-field results.

Let's be honest here, Claeys was never head coaching material. He is an excelllent X's and O's guy and defensive coordinator but he seemed to struggle being the face of the program. There is a reason why most Power 5 coaches have prior head coaching experience.

I wish Coyle would have just come out after the Wisconsin game and relieved Tracy Claeys of his duties and let Sawvel lead the team in the bowl game. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go in a new direction and bringing in your own guy, just be honest and transparent with the decision process.

When will the PJ-Bobos stop belittling last year's results? You can be pro-PJ w/o pretending last year wasn't a success (or very good). Kids are taught history in school in part for perspective. Look at Gopher Football history. This thinking is so tiresome.
So should Gopherhole posters only give opinions that agree with you or should you stop reading other posters' opinions? Hmm.

So should Gopherhole posters only give opinions that agree with you or should you stop reading other posters' opinions? Hmm.

Opinions are fine. Some, however, are silly, wrong, and ludicrous. Post away, but expect to be called out.

I would say that while 2016 was a success, it could have been much more successful. I think the little momentum and excitement the program had was lost in the OT loss at Penn State. With Iowa coming to TCF Bank Stadium the following week, there was just no excitement surrounding that game and it showed with the attendance. Pretty disappointing for your biggest home game of the year in early October nonetheless. The team's performance in the Iowa game was lackluster. Love him or hate him, Tracy Claeys was a great coach but I just don't think he excited too many people.

A lot of people also need to remember it was Claeys himself who took the 3-year deal with the low buyout to become the head coach in November 2015. Glen Mason said on KFAN that was a big mistake by Claeys and he should have had an attorney work through the contract with him. Mason also said that no other coach would come to Minnesota without the guarantee of a 5-year deal. Claeys desperately wanted the job and seemed ok with the 3-year deal at the time. He should have known that a permanent AD would be arriving on campus within 12 months and his job as head coach could be in jeopardy regardless of the on-the-field results.

Let's be honest here, Claeys was never head coaching material. He is an excelllent X's and O's guy and defensive coordinator but he seemed to struggle being the face of the program. There is a reason why most Power 5 coaches have prior head coaching experience.

I wish Coyle would have just come out after the Wisconsin game and relieved Tracy Claeys of his duties and let Sawvel lead the team in the bowl game. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go in a new direction and bringing in your own guy, just be honest and transparent with the decision process.

well stated LMH and ATLGopher

Anyone who has had a job that you loved torn from you because of nothing you did can understand that it feels like you've lost a close relative.
I love the fact that Tracy is that passionate about the kids he coaches and the program he develops.
I can see him taking a year off to reset his bearings, grieve the loss of something he loved and then take up what he loves somewhere else. Tracy is young enough to get a very good job in football. He's smart so hopefully that overcomes the obvious judgments he receives for being overweight. That prejudice is very real and we saw it here from idiots in the gopherhole. Some people just can't see past the whitewash.
I like Tracy as a person. He is as midwest as it gets. Good farmer personality who can wait to see the crop reach fruition.
Go enjoy your bar and grill, Tracy. You've earned everything you have. If I ever get down your way, I'll buy you a beer!

Anyone who has had a job that you loved torn from you because of nothing you did can understand that it feels like you've lost a close relative.
I love the fact that Tracy is that passionate about the kids he coaches and the program he develops.
I can see him taking a year off to reset his bearings, grieve the loss of something he loved and then take up what he loves somewhere else. Tracy is young enough to get a very good job in football. He's smart so hopefully that overcomes the obvious judgments he receives for being overweight. That prejudice is very real and we saw it here from idiots in the gopherhole. Some people just can't see past the whitewash.
I like Tracy as a person. He is as midwest as it gets. Good farmer personality who can wait to see the crop reach fruition.
Go enjoy your bar and grill, Tracy. You've earned everything you have. If I ever get down your way, I'll buy you a beer!

Yep, I know someone who had that exact thing happen to them when Kill was hired. Main reason I lost a ton of respect for Kill based on the way he handled the situation.

I think that joint went tits up.

Wisconsin game was Nov 26th - Oregon (and Purdue jobs were both open)
Dec 5th - Purdue hires Brohm
Dec 7th - Oregon hires Taggart
Mid-December - Football players suspended / Boycott
(I assume at some point after Dec 7th, discussions with PJ Fleck indirectly started occurring).

There is a reason the timing occurred like it did.

I read what Beav posted. No longer in business

I don't understand this poo Tracy stuff he got 1.5 million to be the head man at the U... it didnt last as long as he wanted..... he will still land on his feet...he didn't suffer a horrendous injury in some unforeseen accident
As far as last year being a success ... maybe 9 wins if Tv he goal is to be the best of the lousy and the lousiest of the best then successful it was otherwise it was a ok season

Why do you even feel like you should weigh in on this? Why do you care? You've got a team to discuss up there- I doubt there's a bunch of us weighing in on the Badger coaching situation of Wisky boards.

Opinions are fine. Some, however, are silly, wrong, and ludicrous. Post away, but expect to be called out.
So serious. I thought you were Spoofin. Just giving you a little of your own business dude.

I think that's just ... people on the internet.

Like thing... must hate on everything else.... or something.

I don't know why that is.

Top Bottom