Fairbault County Register: Pirsig eyes path to pros at Cali’s NFLPA game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Fairbault County Register:

Thrust into the Gophers' team-wide protest of a 10-player suspension by the university, an ordeal that had the roster threatening to boycott Dec. 27's Holiday Bowl and may or may not have fueled coach Tracy Claeys' dismissal a week later, Pirsig hardly had a moment to breathe before wrapping up his college career and returning to California, where he was invited for the National Football League Players Association's annual Collegiate Bowl.

And yet, to the big man awaiting a potential path to professional football, miles and miles from home with pressure of an upcoming career mounting by the day, all is well.

"This is my first time in California, and I've been out here training for the last week and a half," Pirsig said Tuesday. "It's a pretty good situation to be in."

Not only because the West Coast weather is treating him a little nicer than, say, the wintery mix of hometown Southern Minnesota.

"I've had a place to stay and I'm working out, getting ready for the Collegiate Bowl, which is actually a weeklong thing," he said. "It's been nice."

Invited to the 2017 event along with Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner and a wide range of other commits, Pirsig anticipates a sizable opportunity to play in the honorary game, which will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1 (FS1) from Carson, California's StubHub Center on Jan. 21.

And he knows that every snap he takes both in the game and at the practices leading up to it could be crucial to his future post-college.

"It's kind of one last chance to catch the eye of a scout," he said. "It's still pretty early for them to be talking about the draft, but that's what this, the Senior Bowl, the Combine and pro days are for."

Invites to the NFL's annual weeklong Scouting Combine, hosted at Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium, will be sent out through January, Pirsig said. If he has the chance to attend, he anticipates doing so, and the same can be said for Mobile, Alabama's college football all-star game, the Senior Bowl, on Jan. 28.

"Some invites have gone out, but hopefully in the next few weeks I'll find out," he said. "I'll do a pro day on March 13 at the U of M regardless, but there's no limit on the number of bowls you can be in."

That bodes well for Pirsig, then, because ever since signing with Kyle Green, of Dallas' United Athlete Agency, the same firm that represents Kansas City Chiefs running back Charcandrick West and Los Angeles Rams lineman Michael Brockers among others, the former BEA standout is bent on exhausting every opportunity he is afforded.

"From what I've heard," he said, "I will hopefully have a chance with some team."

http://www.faribaultcountyregister....th-to-pros-at-Cali-s-NFLPA-game.html?nav=5005

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom