MPR: Mark Coyle on the future of U of M athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per MPR:

Last September, University of Minnesota athletics director Mark Coyle fired wrestling coach J Robinson for not being "forthcoming with his superiors when reporting his suspicions about [athletes] selling and abusing prescription medication," Coyle said in a press conference.

And by Christmas, Coyle had suspended 10 Gophers football players following an investigation into an alleged sexual assault. Here, Coyle talked about the measures he has put in place to address sexual assaults and shared his hopes for 2017.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/01/13/future-of-university-minnesota-athletics-coyle

Go Gophers!!

per MPR:

Last September, University of Minnesota athletics director Mark Coyle fired wrestling coach J Robinson for not being "forthcoming with his superiors when reporting his suspicions about [athletes] selling and abusing prescription medication," Coyle said in a press conference.

And by Christmas, Coyle had suspended 10 Gophers football players following an investigation into an alleged sexual assault. Here, Coyle talked about the measures he has put in place to address sexual assaults and shared his hopes for 2017.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/01/13/future-of-university-minnesota-athletics-coyle

Go Gophers!!

Yawn. Started as a manipulative manager and should maybe live by the "truth" quip he says over and over.

Just me

Yawn. Started as a manipulative manager and should maybe live by the "truth" quip he says over and over.
All my sensors start flashing when this guy talks. He avoids questions, he patronizes anyone, he talks in circles, he is just disgusting for me to listen to.
I don't know how anyone could trust this guy. paraphrasing...Well, Mark, take this opportunity for us to get to know you and your ethics, tell us about what's important to you...in the middle of a sexual assault discussion and he bounces to how important winning is to him at this world class institution. He has no substance.
He even avoids answering about row the boat and changes the conversation to a tangent, like he isn't okay with the phrase or he doesn't understand or think it's important or what I don't know. But he avoids it.
It is so easy to see how coaches and athletes or anybody would leaving screaming in frustration after talking to this guy.
Just my interpretation of him...and I have an open mind on almost anything in life except this guy...I'm convinced he's who I think he is...I've listened to him too many times already. My conclusion is not flattering. He is not authentic or genuine or anyone I could ever count on at all.

All my sensors start flashing when this guy talks. He avoids questions, he patronizes anyone, he talks in circles, he is just disgusting for me to listen to.
I don't know how anyone could trust this guy. paraphrasing...Well, Mark, take this opportunity for us to get to know you and your ethics, tell us about what's important to you...in the middle of a sexual assault discussion and he bounces to how important winning is to him at this world class institution. He has no substance.
He even avoids answering about row the boat and changes the conversation to a tangent, like he isn't okay with the phrase or he doesn't understand or think it's important or what I don't know. But he avoids it.
It is so easy to see how coaches and athletes or anybody would leaving screaming in frustration after talking to this guy.
Just my interpretation of him...and I have an open mind on almost anything in life except this guy...I'm convinced he's who I think he is...I've listened to him too many times already. My conclusion is not flattering. He is not authentic or genuine or anyone I could ever count on at all.

I believe there are may ex coaches, current players and ex players that would completely agree with this. He has a ton of patchwork to do with these relationships. If he his able to reach out and redeem himself with this group, I could perhaps turn a corner on him. But if he's unwilling, unable or too arrogant to make this happen, it will dog him for a long time.

PJ as both head football coach and athletic director. That would be elite.

Top Bottom