CB Demetrius Douglas Commits!

I'm shocked- give credit where it's due- good job PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could play a lot next year, I'm sure that was a big selling point.

Don't give up the Ivy League degree.

This is huge. He is a legacy, but nonetheless it's a big deal to secure the services of a recruit with Oregon and Notre Dame offers. He might even be starting this fall.

Huge get. PJ can recruit a little bit, huh.

Omar was a very good player for the Gophers. His son could even be better.

Oregon and Notre Dame? Along with Vandy, Dartmouth, Harvard and Yale?

The younger Douglas should make his family, friends and Gopher fans very proud. Both on the field and off.

Welcome aboard Mr.Douglas.

He was an Oregon commit???

Not like a Seth Green style flip, this was legit?

Maybe now that WR Tyjon Lindsey from Bishop Gorman committed to Nebraska, the Gophers have a chance at getting Mac Hippenhammer or Jafar Armstrong.

Hugh get by PJ and staff!!! As someone said above, very good chance of seeing the field next season.

Omar was a very good player for the Gophers. His son could even be better.

Oregon and Notre Dame? Along with Vandy, Dartmouth, Harvard and Yale?

The younger Douglas should make his family, friends and Gopher fans very proud. Both on the field and off.

Welcome aboard Mr.Douglas.

Yep, loved Omar. Hope to see him at the Bank!

His HUDL highlight reel is very impressive, on both sides of the ball. Great hands and good speed and instincts. Defensively looked really impressive man-to -man and can really make a play on the ball.

Nice, I was hoping they'd find another CB. Welcome aboard!

Gophers football in early on legacy recruit Demetrius Douglas - Pioneer Press

Just found this. It's was from March 4th of last year.

Instead of steering Douglas east to Minnesota in the 2017 class, his father, Omar Douglas, said he wants to just “provide advice and counsel throughout the process.”

Omar certainly has perspective to share after a four-year run playing for Minnesota from 1990-93. His name sits in the top 10 in Gophers records for career receptions (130), yards (1,681) and touchdowns (14). After graduating with a marketing degree, he played four years in the NFL as a backup with the New York Giants.

“You have that personal connection, but at the end of the day, it’s about him,” Omar told the Pioneer Press. “What is the right fit for him? Where does he want to go?”

As of Thursday night, his son’s most high-profile offer was from Oregon, about 110 miles south of the family home in Portland. The flashy school with countless Nike uniforms was in the College Football Playoff two years ago.

But Demetrius, a cornerback/wide receiver, grew up in Minnesota and was a freshman at Wayzata High School before his family moved west less than two years ago. Omar had a position at General Mills for seven years before accepting a new opportunity with Nike.

“It definitely still feels like home to me,” Demetrius said of Minnesota. “I still have family there. I still have friends there that I like to go back and visit.”

Demetrius attended a Gophers camp last summer, and in the past few weeks, other schools have offered scholarships, including Colorado State, Nevada, Howard and Yale.

“It definitely heated up quick,” Demetrius said. “It’s gotten kind of crazy, kind of overwhelming, but it’s been a cool experience so far.”

It’s just beginning. Ken Potter, his coach at Jesuit High School, said Pac-12 Conference schools such as Stanford, Washington and Oregon State have requested Demetrius’ academic transcripts. “That doesn’t correlate to an offer, but it does correlate to a lot of interest,” Potter said.

Demetrius isn’t in a rush to make a decision before national signing day next February. Come this fall, he’s not expected to come off the field much.

“He’s a lockdown corner that wants the challenge of taking on the team’s best receiver each week,” Potter said. “He has very good speed, and I just think he is getting faster and stronger every day with his work ethic.”

Demetrius missed about six games to start the season because of a lacerated kidney and helped win the state championship in December with a cast on his broken left hand. “He’s a very tough kid,” Potter said.

The busted hand has kept the 5-foot-11, 170-pound athlete off the basketball team this season, but he plans to run track this spring.

Omar compares Demetrius to himself, but says he’s better.

“He’s a long, rangy type of player,” Omar said. “His wingspan is longer than you would expect for someone with his height. He is a smart player. He is a much better player than I was at that age, for certain. He has much better technique, and he is becoming a much better student of the game than I was at that point.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/04/gophers-football-in-early-on-legacy-recruit-demetrius-douglas/

He was an Oregon commit???

Not like a Seth Green style flip, this was legit?

It sounds like they recruited over him a bit, but didn't pull his offer or anything like that. He probably just saw a clearer path to playing time here and thought it would be a better choice. Great get.

That's a great offer list. I don't suspect that he will have trouble academically.

Honestly, that's as impressive an offer list as one can have

The most interesting thing I read in the Omar article was him moving from General Mills to Nike. Was that a coincidence? I know Marvin (or is it Anderson?) Windows is known for offering positions to parents of highly skilled hockey players (T.J. Oshie is probably the best example).

Top Bottom