Realistic expectations

Name the 6 losses.

It means going 2-4 at best against Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, and @Rutgers. Indiana and Iowa are .500 in conference, the rest are below.

Now that we broke a slump I think the guys can take a breath and refocus.. iowa W Rutgers W Indiana W Michigan L Maryland L penn state W Nebraska W whisky dick L 9 and 9 and il predict a 7 seed in the big dance.. or we could just lose out lol

Expectations for Pitino to keep his job. 10 Big Ten Conference wins and an NCAA Tournament bid.

Realistic expectations. 6 Big Ten wins. Pitino will lose his job if this happens and rightfully so.

Pitino is not coaching this team. He is relying heavily on the raw talent on this team to carry it through games. The two Michigan State losses show this. The Penn State loss echos this. He didn't reign this team in and focus them once they showed up in the national rankings. This team played like being ranked was enough to instill fear in Penn State. Their play shows that they don't realize that a national ranking means teams will play harder against you. The players (and coach?) fail to realize that you have to work harder once you are nationally ranked.

It is time for Pitino to show his actual coaching skills or this Big Ten season is lost. He can't rely on manipulating the talent of his players. He has to coach them into being a team. It is now or never for the coaching career of Richard Pitino.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Seriously? So what are we going to do, fire him and hire who? Who the hell is going to want to come here and coach the team after we fire Pitino who has been bringing in better and better recruiting classes every year??? OMG, you are just insane! People like you are part of why it's so hard for the U of M to succeed.

Why so dour about their chances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just don't believe in Pitino. He has not shown me anything as a coach to say he is better than any D3 coach we could persuade to come here. I think he is the Brewster of our basketball program.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just don't believe in Pitino. He has not shown me anything as a coach to say he is better than any D3 coach we could persuade to come here. I think he is the Brewster of our basketball program.

Clem Haskins went 6-30 in his first two seasons here.

In his first THREE seasons, they won a grand total of FOUR road games.

AND, the had a FOUR GAME LOSING STREAK, that didn't start until late in Feb and the 4th loss was on MARCH 2nd, MARCH, it was a LATE SEASON LOSING STREAK, and not one single game was a close loss, the closest loss was a 5 pt loss, the other 3 were a 13 pt loss, and a 15 pt loss and a 38 pt loss.

YET THAT TEAM went on to make the Sweet 16.

So F you Ewert and all of your sickening negativism!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clem Haskins went 6-30 in his first two seasons here.

In his first THREE seasons, they won a grand total of FOUR road games.

AND, the had a FOUR GAME LOSING STREAK, that didn't start until late in Feb and the 4th loss was on MARCH 2nd, MARCH, it was a LATE SEASON LOSING STREAK, and not one single game was a close loss, the closest loss was a 5 pt loss, the other 3 were a 13 pt loss, and a 15 pt loss and a 38 pt loss.

YET THAT TEAM went on to make the Sweet 16.

So F you Ewert and all of your sickening negativism!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clem Haskins didn't come in here with as high of expectations. Clem wasn't riding his family name, in the family business. Clem also had significantly less pressure of his basketball program when he arrived.

If you think negative because I'm not all "row the boat" about a coach who get obliterated in Big Ten Conference play, well good for you. We have a football program that has rebuilt itself significantly in the same amount of time we have been trying to do the same thing with men's basketball. Men's basketball has five, maybe six or seven, key players. Football has twenty-two positions to fill. The program that relies on three to four times as many key players as basketball has turned itself around in half the time.

Iowa,
Indiana,
Michigan,
Maryland,
Penn State,
Wisconsin,

PSU at home? The same PSU who gave Rutgers it's first B1G road win, and whom we barely lost to on the road? Highly unlikely. I'd say we split those 6 at worst, the losses being IU, MD and Sconnie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PSU at home? The same PSU who gave Rutgers it's first B1G road win, and whom we barely lost to on the road? Highly unlikely. I'd say we split those 6 at worst, the losses being IU, MD and Sconnie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If not PSU, there's always Nebraska.

Clem Haskins didn't come in here with as high of expectations. Clem wasn't riding his family name, in the family business. Clem also had significantly less pressure of his basketball program when he arrived.

If you think negative because I'm not all "row the boat" about a coach who get obliterated in Big Ten Conference play, well good for you.

We have gotten obliterated in exactly one conference game this year. I also think you're overestimating the "legacy pressure." I don't think Pitino and Coffey are under immense mental stress and constantly freaking out about making their fathers proud, to the point that it is detrimental to their performance.

That 6-12 record that you predicted would be interesting in that it would be probably our best conference road record and worst conference home record of the last ten years. Twice as many road wins as home wins.

We have gotten obliterated in exactly one conference game this year. I also think you're overestimating the "legacy pressure." I don't think Pitino and Coffey are under immense mental stress and constantly freaking out about making their fathers proud, to the point that it is detrimental to their performance.

That 6-12 record that you predicted would be interesting in that it would be probably our best conference road record and worst conference home record of the last ten years. Twice as many road wins as home wins.
Even with that home/road disparity he will be under .300 in Big Ten games for his career. Stellar.

If you think negative because I'm not all "row the boat" about a coach who get obliterated in Big Ten Conference play, well good for you. We have a football program that has rebuilt itself significantly in the same amount of time we have been trying to do the same thing with men's basketball. Men's basketball has five, maybe six or seven, key players. Football has twenty-two positions to fill. The program that relies on three to four times as many key players as basketball has turned itself around in half the time.

Are you one of those simpletons who actually think that a family name, all by itself means a ton???

WOW!!! Where were you born, under a rock???

Do you pay ANY attention to recruiting???

And no, I do not think negative because you are not all row the boat about Pitino, it is YOU that is being all negative.

I like Pitino and I like the increasingly better and better recruiting classes he is bringing in and the promise of a bright future those constantly superior recruiting classes bring to this program.

Pitino has won just as many conf road games in this one season as Haskins won in his first 2 seasons, or in his 2nd and 3rd season combined, and the season is only half way over.

You have to be the most negative fan I've EVER ran across. Don't worry dude, be happy!!! Lighten up a bit.

If you think negative because I'm not all "row the boat" about a coach who get obliterated in Big Ten Conference play,

Wait! What? Obliterated in conference play? Other than the loss at East Lansing, where are the obliterations this season? Have you been watching Macalester and thought it was Minnesota?

Even with that home/road disparity he will be under .300 in Big Ten games for his career. Stellar.

Haskins won just 4 road games in his first 3 seasons as a Gopher coach.

Haskins went 6-30 in his first 2 seasons, lol. WOW.

Haskins was 13-37 in his first 3 seasons in conf, that is just barely over .250 winning percentage, with like I said, only FOUR road wins. That is just 1.33 road wins A YEAR!!!!!!

Oh, but Haskins was under so much less pressure??? What, being under a ton of pressure is supposed to ensure more success???

Pitino is going to make us great, so just STFU, seriously. Sit back and watch, give him another 13-14 months and you will be embarrassed with how negative and how much of an unbeliever you were!!! Will he become the next Dean Smith??? Damn dude, he's still a youngen, give him time, he has MANY YEARS, in fact, MANY DECADES to become a great, maybe even HOF kind of coach.

Tell me, have you ever coached??? I seriously doubt it!!!

Haskins won just 4 road games in his first 3 seasons as a Gopher coach.

Haskins went 6-30 in his first 2 seasons, lol. WOW.

Haskins was 13-37 in his first 3 seasons in conf, that is just barely over .250 winning percentage, with like I said, only FOUR road wins. That is just 1.33 road wins A YEAR!!!!!!

Oh, but Haskins was under so much less pressure??? What, being under a ton of pressure is supposed to ensure more success???

Pitino is going to make us great, so just STFU, seriously. Sit back and watch, give him another 13-14 months and you will be embarrassed with how negative and how much of an unbeliever you were!!! Will he become the next Dean Smith??? Damn dude, he's still a youngen, give him time, he has MANY YEARS, in fact, MANY DECADES to become a great, maybe even HOF kind of coach.

Tell me, have you ever coached??? I seriously doubt it!!!
+1

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haskin's team in 1989, his Sweet 16 team, went on a FOUR GAME LOSING STREAK, in LATE FEBRUARY, with the 4th game occurring on MARCH 2nd. Talk about a late season losing streak???

And the thing is, they didn't lose those 4 games by 1 or 2 pts, they lost them by scores of 5 pts, 13 pts, 15 pts AND THIRTY EIGHT POINTS!!!!!!

Yeah, 3 straight BLOWOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet those players still somehow recovered, got into the NCAA tourney, and got to the Sweet 16, and the next season, despite only finishing 5th in conf, got to the Elite 8. The 1987-90 Gophers, won less than 8 conf road games in 4 seasons, yet pulled off a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 run.

Knowing that, Pitino needs to be given a bit of a break, seeing as he could do just as much as Haskins, and much more if you look past his first 4 seasons. Haskins pulled off ONLY 2 sweet 16 seasons in his first 10 seasons.

I was in favor of keeping him this year based on the belief that he would need this long. However, define great. I Do not think of Haskins or Dutcher as great. Great is winning the conference once every 5 years and always being in the top 5 in your conference. The Tourney is a crap shoot. Even Izzo and K have gone out in the first year. EVERY great coach wins their conference by year 5. I think this year could mean a sweet 16 in a very down year but over time will he still be way under .500 lets say by year 6. because by then he should be able to click out a 16-2 record especially in a conference that does not stack up to the ACC and its plethora of great coaches. No more for thinking 9-9 is a good year. This program needs to expect more.

I was in favor of keeping him this year based on the belief that he would need this long. However, define great. I Do not think of Haskins or Dutcher as great. Great is winning the conference once every 5 years and always being in the top 5 in your conference. The Tourney is a crap shoot. Even Izzo and K have gone out in the first year. EVERY great coach wins their conference by year 5. I think this year could mean a sweet 16 in a very down year but over time will he still be way under .500 lets say by year 6. because by then he should be able to click out a 16-2 record especially in a conference that does not stack up to the ACC and its plethora of great coaches. No more for thinking 9-9 is a good year. This program needs to expect more.

Good idea. Keep firing coaches every few years unless they're John wooden. It can't fail!

I said i did not want him fired. I renewed my tickets and make a very substantial gift each year. None of the programs i referenced had anything to do with John Wooden. But guys like Bo Ryan, Tony Bennett, Sean Miller, Brad Stevens etc. all won conferences early. Ryan won in year one and followed it several times. Bennett won the ACC, the ACC for goodness sakes in year 4. he got Washington State ! to the sweet 16 in year two. Arizona was in a terrible spot when Miller came in. Whichita St. was terrible and Marshall got it done quickly. If Pitino is great he should be able to to win the conference by next year. There is nothing that stops greatness. I simply do not believe that years of sub .500 are acceptable and 9-9 is not a good year by year 4. keep in mind that i am one who still thinks this team will get to 10-8 this year.

I said i did not want him fired. I renewed my tickets and make a very substantial gift each year. None of the programs i referenced had anything to do with John Wooden. But guys like Bo Ryan, Tony Bennett, Sean Miller, Brad Stevens etc. all won conferences early. Ryan won in year one and followed it several times. Bennett won the ACC, the ACC for goodness sakes in year 4. he got Washington State ! to the sweet 16 in year two. Arizona was in a terrible spot when Miller came in. Whichita St. was terrible and Marshall got it done quickly. If Pitino is great he should be able to to win the conference by next year. There is nothing that stops greatness. I simply do not believe that years of sub .500 are acceptable and 9-9 is not a good year by year 4. keep in mind that i am one who still thinks this team will get to 10-8 this year.

You can chery pick statistics to support an idea - all the coaches you used came into their situations differently and gained experience different ways - Ryan Was assistant at uw for 8 years before his first head coaching job, Bennett Was groomed to take over at Washington state(didn't win conf. While there) Miller was at Xavier under Thad Matta before taking over , he won conf in year three there (even though they won it the prior three years when he was assistant)

Patino is figuring things out and wasn't put into a situation to succeed easily. He's figuring things out -recruiting, style of play, player integrity and how to win consistently. The program is turning into his program and I'm excited about the direction the future is taking.

Stop it!

Is Coach K a great coach? If so, your narrative was just shredded.

Your right, every situation is different. I have stated that i supported and support keeping him. I just do not want to settle into the mindset that mediocre is great. He will have to win the Big 10 relatively soon to get those kind of accolades. There is nothing stopping him from doing that. He has a roster right now that should win a ton in the weakest Big 10 in my lifetime.

Your right, every situation is different. I have stated that i supported and support keeping him. I just do not want to settle into the mindset that mediocre is great. He will have to win the Big 10 relatively soon to get those kind of accolades. There is nothing stopping him from doing that. He has a roster right now that should win a ton in the weakest Big 10 in my lifetime.

I don't disagree that we're rooting for big ten championships. But also, weakest big ten in your lifetime? Maybe at the top, but this is a punishing big ten season because I can't remember the last time we had this few bottom feeders. Seems like any team can beat any other in any given night.

We can't settle for mediocre. But we must expect soon what hasn't happened in what? 2x in 80 years. K.

If Lynch can continue to play they way he did yesterday (with a reasonable amount of discipline) they'll be in a much better position down the stretch.

That has been my largest complaint. That people talked like this was some historic program and all i have experienced is mediocre. I want PITINO do thrive, i just do not want this to be Nebraska, year 5 Tim Miles and have fans keep telling me that Miles is a really good coach. The record says he is poor. Making the tourney this year is the 1st step and i think that will happen but he will need to follow that up by contending at the top spot next year.I do not think it is unreasonable to expect getting into those 13-5 type records. The reason for that is there is a direct correllation between doing well in your conference and getting good seeds and then year after year having teams that can advance in the tourney as opposed to rarely doing well and occassionally going on a deeper run. I am supporting him to become the guy that does that.

That has been my largest complaint. That people talked like this was some historic program and all i have experienced is mediocre. I want PITINO do thrive, i just do not want this to be Nebraska, year 5 Tim Miles and have fans keep telling me that Miles is a really good coach. The record says he is poor. Making the tourney this year is the 1st step and i think that will happen but he will need to follow that up by contending at the top spot next year.I do not think it is unreasonable to expect getting into those 13-5 type records. The reason for that is there is a direct correllation between doing well in your conference and getting good seeds and then year after year having teams that can advance in the tourney as opposed to rarely doing well and occassionally going on a deeper run. I am supporting him to become the guy that does that.

You sound like you don't have a clue about the history of Gopher BB???

You sound like you have a serious disrespect for the Gopher BB program and its past, and Unrealistic expectations for its immediate future, which combined, makes me think you are a really a Gopher Hater, not lover. Seems to me you are a FAKE Gopher fan. Or at the least, a fan who needs some serious attitude readjustment. It wouldn't surprise me to find out you are really a Wisconsin Badgers fan, pretending to be a Gopher fan for some nefarious reason.

But I hope I am wrong.

Top Bottom