Fleck tells Sherels he won't be on staff, Sherels hopeful to be added later

Because the position he coached showed regression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been told that the new quarterbacks are ready to step in and play better than Mitch liedner did this year.

Not only newspapers but anyone with a pulse and access to twitter thinks he should be hired as an assistant coach.

I have both and I don't care either way. Same with people in my season ticket group.
From what I've heard sherels is a great guy and does a good job but are people actually upset with this? If so, why?

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall to hear that conversation. I'm not sure of Sherel's relationship with Coach Claeys. If they didn't see eye to eye, it's never been stated publicy. Claeys always spoke highly of Sherels and was respectful and handled Sherel's illness as well as could be expected.
I'm not sure if Fleck requested a list from Sherels as to the state of Gopher football, or if Sherels provided that in an unsolicited fashion. If it's the latter, perhaps Fleck wasn't buying. Fleck seems like the kind of guy that wants to focus on the positive. Maybe Fleck didn't receive the conversation as elite.
Sherels will be fine. If he gets the 10th coaching position, I'm good with that. If not, I have no doubt he'll be elite elsewhere.

I have both and I don't care either way. Same with people in my season ticket group.
From what I've heard sherels is a great guy and does a good job but are people actually upset with this? If so, why?

Trolling....

Oh and you never answered your own question of how many sites you post on.

As far as his health, Sherels was healthy enough to come back and coach full-time ( or at least close to full-time) at the end of the season and through the bowl game.

Sounds like this latest surgery was planned to help improve his quality of life and minimize the need for the external feeding tube - so it doesn't mean his condition is worse - it means that it's another step in his recovery.

I would think a guy with great ties to MN coaches - a guy whose position group was clearly one of the strengths of the team (so much so that they designed the game plan for the bowl game around the linebackers) - a guy who has shown great personal character in dealing with a life-threatening illness - and a guy who clearly loves the U of MN ----that is a guy you would want on your staff.

The question only Fleck can answer - is he making this decision because he thinks he can get a better coach/recruiter than Sherels - OR is he making this decision because he doesn't want any carry-over from the previous staff?

If Mike Sherels is being dumped in order to show that Fleck and Coyle are cleaning up the team's "culture," then I say BS to Fleck. BS to Coyle.

I see Sherels as a modern-day equivalent to Butch Nash - a walking embodiment of everything we love about Gopher FB. And a damn good coach, to boot. If there's no room for a Mike Sherels on PJ Fleck's staff, then PJ Fleck has just lost major points in my viewpoint.

As far as his health, Sherels was healthy enough to come back and coach full-time ( or at least close to full-time) at the end of the season and through the bowl game.

Sounds like this latest surgery was planned to help improve his quality of life and minimize the need for the external feeding tube - so it doesn't mean his condition is worse - it means that it's another step in his recovery.

I would think a guy with great ties to MN coaches - a guy whose position group was clearly one of the strengths of the team (so much so that they designed the game plan for the bowl game around the linebackers) - a guy who has shown great personal character in dealing with a life-threatening illness - and a guy who clearly loves the U of MN ----that is a guy you would want on your staff.

The question only Fleck can answer - is he making this decision because he thinks he can get a better coach/recruiter than Sherels - OR is he making this decision because he doesn't want any carry-over from the previous staff?

If Mike Sherels is being dumped in order to show that Fleck and Coyle are cleaning up the team's "culture," then I say BS to Fleck. BS to Coyle.

I see Sherels as a modern-day equivalent to Butch Nash - a walking embodiment of everything we love about Gopher FB. And a damn good coach, to boot. If there's no room for a Mike Sherels on PJ Fleck's staff, then PJ Fleck has just lost major points in my viewpoint.

And amen to that.

Sherels new the risks when he decided to become a college coach. For that matter, Sherels was nothing but a class act in his comments after he was let go. Fleck has every right to hire his own people. That said, I would not be in the least bit surprised if Sherels is added to the staff once the NCAA adds an addition coaching spot. Sherels is solid. He will land on his feet.

Sherels still has a life threatening condition and should remain near his medical care team and family as much as possible.

He was working about 4 hours a day. That is a fact. Part of it was hooked on an IV.

Not only newspapers but anyone with a pulse and access to twitter thinks he should be hired as an assistant coach.

Ok, I love Mike and think he's a great guy. Do you know anyone with his condition? Anyone who cannot eat solid food?

"Short bowel syndrome in adults usually results from surgical resection for Crohn disease, malignancy, radiation, or vascular insufficiency. In infants and small children, the major causes are necrotizing enterocolitis and congenital intestinal anomalies.

The type and severity of clinical manifestations are variable. In some patients, caloric and protein needs can be adequately met enterally, but vitamin and mineral deficiencies may still occur. In others, fluid and electrolyte losses are the predominant clinical problems while nutrient absorption may be adequate.

In many cases, the process of intestinal adaptation may ultimately permit transition to oral feeding. Intestinal failure is a new term commonly being used to describe the state when gastrointestinal function is inadequate to maintain the nutrient and hydration status of the person without intravenous or enteral supplementation.
The process of intestinal adaptation is lengthy but actions taken in the first few months after resection have a significant role in the ultimate outcome. Because quality of life in patients with short bowel syndrome is decreased due to chronic fatigue and ongoing gastrointestinal symptoms special attention to the process of intestinal adaptation is critical."

A lot to read, but basically the short and long term prognosis is permanently chronic, and permanently debilitating. Even with a transplant, the odds are great. He cannot function is a "normal" lifestyle, especially one as physical as a FB coach. He would likely miss more than half his duties just due to feeding, hydrating, and fatigue. He needs to worry about his family and his health.

We can wish and hope, but this a terrible, terrible disorder. All the "will" in the world by the patient and family and friends doesn't magically make it better.

This is not like Kill's condition.

I love Mike Sherels. He cannot coach football right now, and likely will never be able to.

Gee, I thought Claeys told us everything was just great with Gopher Football. It sounds like Mike Sherels disagrees.
Good luck to Mike! Hoping he gets healthy and gets back in football coaching some way.

..........how do I say this? If Mike did indeed do what's reported, I'm sure he sealed his fate with Fleck immediately. Nobody likes a Judas.

What happened with Coach Sherels is really unfortunate. If I recall they removed his entire small intestine except the duodenum and half his large intestine. He has a catheter and currently uses TPN (IV feeding), bypassing his stomach and intestines.

Sometimes people with these issues get worse over time, not better. There is a constant risk of catastrophic infection, blood clots from the catheter. Liver disease among other issues can result from the long-term TPN. People tend to get worse not better on long term TPN. If he has a transplant performed that may reduce some risks and open others up. Hopefully he can undergo a successful transplant.

In a nutshell, he has a tough road and possibly a very tough road. He is not totally "well" even if he feels like he can coach. Sometimes people with chronic health issues have to be transferred to "desk jobs" both for their own sake and for the goals of the company. We would all like to see Sherels be around the program in some capacity but I suspect Fleck wants his guy and a guy he can rely on to be able to work 100% at all times and be available. Life can be very unfair and hopefully he can make it back. I'm sure he will find a good position just maybe not what he wants right away. Get well coach!

Really terrible take. Why do you presume it has anything to do with cleaning up the culture? If Fleck can't find and secure the services of a better LB coach than Mike Sherels, he isn't worth what he's being paid. Someone's alumni status should play zero role in the consideration of their hiring.

Plus, isn't his wife a full-time employee of the University? Wouldn't she be able to cover him under her policy?

If she is then yes he can be covered as soon as the next open enrollment period occurs or when they have their impending child.

Sherels still has a life threatening condition and should remain near his medical care team and family as much as possible.

I don't believe folks realize how serious Mike condition is (not was). It a testament to his perseverance that he was able to coach at all last season. Most folks couldn't have did what he did if faced with the same situation.

..........how do I say this? If Mike did indeed do what's reported, I'm sure he sealed his fate with Fleck immediately. Nobody likes a Judas.

I don't see how giving an honest opinion about the State of the Program that he loves and wants it to be better is being a Judas.
Not trying to be insensitive, but would you feel the same about Police Officiers covering for other Police Officiers or the Police Dept if it were suspected of systemic misconduct? I doubt it, and neither would I.
I don't see how providing an assessment of the good and bad about the Gopher Football Program is treasonist.

I don't see how giving an honest opinion about the State of the Program that he loves and wants it to be better is being a Judas.
Not trying to be insensitive, but would you feel the same about Police Officiers covering for other Police Officiers or the Police Dept if it were suspected of systemic misconduct? I doubt it, and neither would I.
I don't see how providing an assessment of the good and bad about the Gopher Football Program is treasonist.

I don't like the system misconduct comparison. I don't know how the conversation went, but I've been around similar situations before, albeit not in sports. Never rag on the previous regime, especially if you were part of it. If you're looking to continue employment, you either praise your previous manager, or gloss it over. The talk should be moved to how you'll be an asset in the future. That seems to be what Fleck does.

I don't like the system misconduct comparison. I don't know how the conversation went, but I've been around similar situations before, albeit not in sports. Never rag on the previous regime, especially if you were part of it. If you're looking to continue employment, you either praise your previous manager, or gloss it over. The talk should be moved to how you'll be an asset in the future. That seems to be what Fleck does.

Interesting. If he was asked to be honest and up front and decided to do the opposite, how long would he last if brought on board once PJ realized he had not been honest and up front?

Sherels new the risks when he decided to become a college coach. For that matter, Sherels was nothing but a class act in his comments after he was let go. Fleck has every right to hire his own people. That said, I would not be in the least bit surprised if Sherels is added to the staff once the NCAA adds an addition coaching spot. Sherels is solid. He will land on his feet.

I haven't been paying attention to this, but have seen other references to it. Is the NCAA for sure adding another coaching spot? If so, is there any indication as to when it would happen?

I haven't been paying attention to this, but have seen other references to it. Is the NCAA for sure adding another coaching spot? If so, is there any indication as to when it would happen?

They vote on rules in the spring

Two completely different things. One is criminal and involves folks lives and or freedom.

If I assume leadership of a department and one of the potential holdovers sits down with me with a list (assuming this is what happened) of what was wrong under the previous administration. I'm going to have a bunch of questions for that person that will center around what did he do about the information/issues on said list? If those questions are not answered to my satisfaction (i.e. he comes across as disloyal to his previous boss who gave his ass a job) I would not want a hat person near me (you do it once....)

Well said. Claeys program was never considered a problem program. He was fired (unfairly in my opinion) for his response to a one time issue. That fact that Mike went there with Fleck and then public in a article doesn't bold well at all for Mike's continued employment.

Interesting. If he was asked to be honest and up front and decided to do the opposite, how long would he last if brought on board once PJ realized he had not been honest and up front?

Why tell a writer?

Hopefully Coyle can find another role for him, at least until the extra spot is added.

No way Coyle touches this. He kept Sherels on for PJ to fire him. This move is consistent with the fine and upstanding moral character that Mark Coyle wants to instill in Gopher Athletics. Never do anything yourself you can otherwise pass off to or blame someone else for.

If Coyle is still there, it's not cleaning up the culture, it's changing it. Apparently we need to be more backhanded, less honest and more cowardly. Integrity is for losers, and if Fleck is as genuine as people say he is, it won't take long for him to be at odds with Messers Everyone is going to be held accountable......except us.

Gee, I thought Claeys told us everything was just great with Gopher Football. It sounds like Mike Sherels disagrees.
Good luck to Mike! Hoping he gets healthy and gets back in football coaching some way.

there is an assumption that he threw coaches under the bus, but his comment was for 13,14 years. There are a lot of problems that have existed within the administration, the Athletic department, and the football team (among other things). He may have shared his thoughts on what he might have done differently as it relates to Claeys, but most likely spent time talking about the internal strife in the department, the lack of support at the school, and the dysfunction in the overall approach to athletics -- think saying "No" to John Anderson to build the new baseball stadium, with donations he lined up with his alumni players because -- I forgot what stupid ass reason was used when that first unfolded.

Just because Sherels had thoughts of his own and shared them, it may not have been throwing anyone under the bus, it may have been providing his vision for a program. Whatever happens, this was Coyle's first "Gift" to PJ. There are more coming.

No way Coyle touches this. He kept Sherels on for PJ to fire him. This move is consistent with the fine and upstanding moral character that Mark Coyle wants to instill in Gopher Athletics. Never do anything yourself you can otherwise pass off to or blame someone else for.

Coyle wanted Fleck to fire Sherels? That's why he's offering him a spot in the athletic department if he wants it right?

there is an assumption that he threw coaches under the bus, but his comment was for 13,14 years. There are a lot of problems that have existed within the administration, the Athletic department, and the football team (among other things). He may have shared his thoughts on what he might have done differently as it relates to Claeys, but most likely spent time talking about the internal strife in the department, the lack of support at the school, and the dysfunction in the overall approach to athletics -- think saying "No" to John Anderson to build the new baseball stadium, with donations he lined up with his alumni players because -- I forgot what stupid ass reason was used when that first unfolded.

Just because Sherels had thoughts of his own and shared them, it may not have been throwing anyone under the bus, it may have been providing his vision for a program. Whatever happens, this was Coyle's first "Gift" to PJ. There are more coming.

These are my thoughts as well. Long term thinking and problems ..... like lack of great game day experience through massive micromanagement.

Coyle wanted Fleck to fire Sherels? That's why he's offering him a spot in the athletic department if he wants it right?

I didn't say Coyle wanted Fleck to fire Sherels. More in line with his M.O., he did nothing that he could be held accountable for, or associated with, and passed it off for someone else to deal with.

Did Coyle offer him a spot in the athletic department? I've heard rumors here on Gopherhole, but have not seen anything to suggest it's more than that anywhere else, including no mention of it in the article.

I didn't say Coyle wanted Fleck to fire Sherels. More in line with his M.O., he did nothing that he could be held accountable for, or associated with, and passed it off for someone else to deal with.

Did Coyle offer him a spot in the athletic department? I've heard rumors here on Gopherhole, but have not seen anything to suggest it's more than that anywhere else, including no mention of it in the article.
Enough with folks trying to blame Fleck or Coyle on not having hired Sherels. First, ADs do not name the coaching staff, that's on the head coach, period. New coaches bring in who they want. With what Sherels is dealing with there is a big question of whether he'll ever be able to coach at 100% again. I hope he can and I hope he does with the Gophers but his future right now is still up in the air and Fleck cannot afford to hire a coach now that can't go 100% now with NSD just around the corner. If Sherels health improves he may be offered the LB coach spot if the NCAA votes for an additional coaching spot or possibly a job somewhere in admin. Here's wishing Coach Sherels well in his recovery and improved health!!

Top Bottom