<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Can't they find him a role in the Gophers football non-coaching staff or Athletics department?

Surely there is something for him to contribute to the team.

Sherels had zero chance of staying. Fleck was just dragging it out, hoping he could drop him when the "heat of the moment" reactions have died down.

They have. Mike was just way too sick to have stayed on a coaching staff regardless of what docking staff it was.

Him and his family have had to deal with a lot. Hope/pray they get through it well.

per Chip:

Sherels said he has had positive conversations with Fleck since he was hired.

"He’s been nothing but great to me," Sherels said. "I don’t have a bad word to say about him. I really don’t."

Sherels said he met with Fleck last week to discuss his thoughts on the Gophers program and share his insight as a former two-time team captain and assistant coach.

"I had a lot of thoughts about the team, the direction that it needed to go and things that needed to change," Sherels said. "And he sat down and listened to every one of them. Those to me were a lot more important than trying to get my job saved. This has been a hole for 13,14 years since I’ve been here. 'This is what’s wrong with Minnesota football right now.' I went through a long list. He sat down and listened and took notes."

http://www.startribune.com/fleck-doesn-t-retain-sherels-on-staff/410725905/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Can't they find him a role in the Gophers football non-coaching staff or Athletics department?

Surely there is something for him to contribute to the team.

Maybe he could do something in the department but if you're not classified as a "coach" you're very limited on what kind of contact you can have with players and such.

Even if he was promised the 10th spot I doubt he would be able to say. Sounds likes it's best for him to take the next couple months and recover instead of doing the recruiting grind.

I've seen a lot of anger at different place on the web/Twitter over Sherels not being on the staff, but it certainly seems like his health is a huge factor in this. We have so few alumni who are rising in the coaching ranks, and to lose Sherels (and to a lesser extent Weber) hurts. I hope the best for Coach Sherels and would love to see him on the staff in any capacity as long as he's healthy.

I've seen a lot of anger at different place on the web/Twitter over Sherels not being on the staff, but it certainly seems like his health is a huge factor in this. We have so few alumni who are rising in the coaching ranks, and to lose Sherels (and to a lesser extent Weber) hurts. I hope the best for Coach Sherels and would love to see him on the staff in any capacity as long as he's healthy.

Its not over. Let him get healthy and hopefully this spring at some point he can come back on board with us.

Ok that's fine and all, but hopefully the U helps with his medical expenses?

Chip Scoggins: If Sherels isn't on Gophers coaching staff, it's Fleck's mistake

P.J. Fleck hasn’t officially announced his Gophers coaching staff, but holdover linebackers coach Mike Sherels confirmed Saturday that he won’t be part of it. For now.

That’s a shame, though the door remains open for Sherels depending on a proposed NCAA rule change that would expand football coaching staffs by one member.

“P.J. Fleck has been nothing but great to me,” Sherels said. “I don’t have a bad word to say about him. I really don’t.”

Every new coach deserves to bring in his own staff. They shouldn’t feel obligated to keep anyone.

But Fleck’s decision to not retain Sherels is a mistake because it’s a missed opportunity by a new coach in a new market.

Sherels brings deep institutional knowledge as a former two-time team captain and assistant coach. He’s popular with his players, state high school coaches and fans. He’s a dynamic recruiter. And he coached the second-most effective position group on the team this season behind running backs.

Sherels would be a smart hire for those reasons. That’s how he wants to be evaluated. On merit. He doesn’t want a pity party.

http://www.startribune.com/if-mike-...g-staff-that-s-p-j-fleck-s-mistake/410741615/

Go Gophers!!

When did it become newspapers jobs to decide who deserves to be assistant coaches and who doesn't?

Adam Weber also a great guy who has given a ton to the university, why no stumping for him?

When did it become newspapers jobs to decide who deserves to be assistant coaches and who doesn't?

Adam Weber also a great guy who has given a ton to the university, why no stumping for him?

Because the position he coached showed regression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only newspapers but anyone with a pulse and access to twitter thinks he should be hired as an assistant coach.

Hopefully Coyle can find another role for him, at least until the extra spot is added.

So basically, it sounds like the story is...

Sherels isnt healthy enough to fulfill his role as a coach....Sherel's says he understands why he won't be on staff, and gives a testament to Fleck's character as a person and as a coach. Sherel's is also hopeful that he will be back on the staff, once a 10th spot is open.

What's the big outrage about?

So basically, it sounds like the story is...

Sherels isnt healthy enough to fulfill his role as a coach....Sherel's says he understands why he won't be on staff, and gives a testament to Fleck's character as a person and as a coach. Sherel's is also hopeful that he will be back on the staff, once a 10th spot is open.

What's the big outrage about?

No it doesn't, not at all.

The story is that this is the University of Fleck football program now, he wants his guys, and everybody better be all right with that, even if it hurts the feelings of fans of Minnesota football.

All the ACs got medical insurance for this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus, isn't his wife a full-time employee of the University? Wouldn't she be able to cover him under her policy?

No it doesn't, not at all.

The story is that this is the University of Fleck football program now, he wants his guys, and everybody better be all right with that, even if it hurts the feelings of fans of Minnesota football.

Not sure if your response is positive or negative, but your description pretty much sounds like the situation at every successful college football program in the country - and something we have been sorely lacking around here. I wish Coach Sherels the best and fully expect him to get added to the staff when it becomes possible (assuming his health allows it) but dedicating 10% of your assistant coaching quota in the name of PR is something a program that is okay with 5-8 wins does.

Coach Fleck may or may not succeed here, but at least it appears that we are finally dipping our toes into the cesspool that is major college football run by megalomaniacs.

per Chip:

Sherels said he has had positive conversations with Fleck since he was hired.

"He’s been nothing but great to me," Sherels said. "I don’t have a bad word to say about him. I really don’t."

Sherels said he met with Fleck last week to discuss his thoughts on the Gophers program and share his insight as a former two-time team captain and assistant coach.

"I had a lot of thoughts about the team, the direction that it needed to go and things that needed to change," Sherels said. "And he sat down and listened to every one of them. Those to me were a lot more important than trying to get my job saved. This has been a hole for 13,14 years since I’ve been here. 'This is what’s wrong with Minnesota football right now.' I went through a long list. He sat down and listened and took notes."

http://www.startribune.com/fleck-doesn-t-retain-sherels-on-staff/410725905/

Go Gophers!!
Gee, I thought Claeys told us everything was just great with Gopher Football. It sounds like Mike Sherels disagrees.
Good luck to Mike! Hoping he gets healthy and gets back in football coaching some way.

Not sure if your response is positive or negative, but your description pretty much sounds like the situation at every successful college football program in the country - and something we have been sorely lacking around here. I wish Coach Sherels the best and fully expect him to get added to the staff when it becomes possible (assuming his health allows it) but dedicating 10% of your assistant coaching quota in the name of PR is something a program that is okay with 5-8 wins does.

Coach Fleck may or may not succeed here, but at least it appears that we are finally dipping our toes into the cesspool that is major college football run by megalomaniacs.

My response is neither positive or negative in the same way that yours is. ;)

My only objection is that Sherels would hardly be just in the name of PR- his track record and reputation, and yes, him being a hometown hero, make him an absolutely viable candidate for a position that has major recruiting and coaching responsibilities. Hard to think that Fleck could bring in an outsider that would so greatly outperform him as to justify the off-the-field hit that this might result in. But, if you win, everybody forgets all that stuff.

Top Bottom