Gophers Top Michigan 5-2 In Series Opener

Reaction score
Despite giving up the first goal, the Gophers looked impressive after their week off, easily topping Michigan, 5-2, to open the weekend series.

Pitlick Snipes
About nine minutes into the contest, Michigan capitalized on a Minnesota turnover and took the first lead of the game. Up until that point, the Gophers had been dominating much of the play, and the early jump paid off. After a big save by Eric Schierhorn, Rem Pitlick streaked down the boards and fired an absolute laser to even the score. Really, you have to watch this shot.

“This year I haven’t been shooting the puck as much and I think I need to get that back in my game,” said Pitlick. “I just drove wide, closed my eyes, and just shot it and luckily it went in.”

Don Lucia has seen a lot of goals during his tenure and was still impressed by the snipe.

“That’s a goal-scorers goal,” said Lucia. “Not many guys can shoot a puck like that coming down the strong side.”

Sheehy Comes Up Big
Burnsville native Tyler Sheehy has been one of the Gophers most consistent scorers this season. He didn’t disappoint on Friday, tallying two goals and an assist. After the Wolverines made it 3-2, Sheehy potted the next two goals to put the game out of reach.

Speed Kills
Minnesota’s speed advantage was apparent against a physical Michigan squad. The difference was most obvious in the penalty minutes. Michigan racked up 25 minutes in the box (including a five-minute major) compared to just four for the Gophers.

“Throughout the entire game, we had a lot of speed,” said Sheehy. “We really didn’t let off at all...Overall I think we had a lot of speed.”

By The Numbers
45 Shots on net for the Gophers. Michigan mustered just 24 on the game.

1.7 Seconds left in the first period when Mike Szmatula scored to make it 3-1.

4 Shots on net for Ryan Collins. The big man had two assists on Friday and wasn’t shy about firing the puck.

Three Stars
3 Ryan Collins played a great game on D and added two assists.

2 Tommy Novak had a goal and an assist.

1 Tyler Sheehy led the Gophers with two goals and a helper.

What’s Next
The longtime opponents are back at it tomorrow with a 7pm puck drop at Mariucci. You can watch the game on FSN+, or listen on ESPN1500.

One of the first games this season where I wasn't worried about behind down 1-0. The team seems to be rounding into form. Good win. Need to finish the sweep.

Despite giving up the first goal, the Gophers looked impressive after their week off, easily topping Michigan, 5-2, to open the weekend series.

Pitlick Snipes
About nine minutes into the contest, Michigan capitalized on a Minnesota turnover and took the first lead of the game. Up until that point, the Gophers had been dominating much of the play, and the early jump paid off. After a big save by Eric Schierhorn, Rem Pitlick streaked down the boards and fired an absolute laser to even the score. Really, you have to watch this shot.

And I needed the replay on the Novak goal. What a cool deflection of Collins' shot. Bristedt's sloppy play, losing the puck in front of Schierhorn, really didn't require a second look. It was one of those times when Leon's stick handling ability made him a bit too brave. I'm also happy we got out from under the Stars and Stripes before Szmatula knocked in his period ender.

Good win. Good recap. Let's get a stick salute.

And the sweep. All in all, a good weekend. Let's keep it up with beating the ugly Badgers next week!

It was a game with a bit of everything. But the two penalty shots, one for each side when shorthanded, stand out. Fortunately, Lettieri buried his on his way to the hat trick. The downer was Novak's injury; hopefully we will hear good news.

Sounds like Novak is out for the year and the Gophers chances to turn into a contender this year took a massive shot.

Top Bottom