Sawvel to Wisconsin?

Rickman55

Banned
Reaction score
Justin Gaard on KFAN just mentioned Sawvel could wind up at Wake Forest or Wisconsin if wisconsin's defensive coordinator leaves for Cal.

I would think that any contract would have a non-compete clause in it, namely that a coach can't go to another Big10 team right away. I have no idea if that clause is actually in the contracts, I'd just think that'd be pretty standard for any coaching contract.

I would think that any contract would have a non-compete clause in it, namely that a coach can't go to another Big10 team right away. I have no idea if that clause is actually in the contracts, I'd just think that'd be pretty standard for any coaching contract.

I have no idea and am speculating. When the coaching staff is fired I would think they can sign anywhere. This coach wasn't leaving us. He got fired.

I have no idea and am speculating. When the coaching staff is fired I would think they can sign anywhere. This coach wasn't leaving us. He got fired.

But they're still being paid by Minnesota. Typically when someone gets severance pay like that, it comes with some sort of non-compete attached to it.

Depends on the language in the contract. They are honoring the contract so its terms would stay in effect as it is being paid out. Don't think they do lump sums...pay salary and probably benefits until the end of the contract.

Here we are worried about our coaches leaving us again.... who we already fired.

So Minnesotan!

But they're still being paid by Minnesota. Typically when someone gets severance pay like that, it comes with some sort of non-compete attached to it.

I've never heard of a non-compete for a coordinator in college football....

Those aren't usually enforceable- especially when he's been essentially fired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised no one brought this up when we hired a coach from OSU.....

Surprised no one brought this up when we hired a coach from OSU.....

I'm asking this in all seriousness, because I have no idea. Is he getting a buyout from OSU, or did his contract simply expire and not get renewed? Seems that would make a big difference.

Either way, PLEASE no Sawvel in B1G!

Sawvel could finally have a chance to get and keep the Axe.

With the way coaching staffs are treated by colleges and fired and bought out even when they are doing well, it would be pretty foolish for any college coach to EVER sign a non-compete clause in a contract that just runs from one year to the next or even a multi-year contract that can be bought out at the whim of the administration...you know, kind of the way TC & the STAFFERS got treated here at Minnesota.

With the way coaching staffs are treated by colleges and fired and bought out even when they are doing well, it would be pretty foolish for any college coach to EVER sign a non-compete clause in a contract that just runs from one year to the next or even a multi-year contract that can be bought out at the whim of the administration...you know, kind of the way TC & the STAFFERS got treated here at Minnesota.

Oh CRAP! I agree with Wren. I'm going to give myself a timeout...

The possibility exists for Claeys and Sawvel to land at Nebraska, Wisconsin or Purdue. Yikes!

Justin Gaard on KFAN just mentioned Sawvel could wind up at Wake Forest or Wisconsin if wisconsin's defensive coordinator leaves for Cal.

This just in:

Justing Gaard read the link from earlier speculating on the possibility of Sawvel going to those spots and ran with it.

Quality reporting.

So true Wren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt that Wisconsin hires from outside, I'd think they'd want some continuity. If they did though, Sawvel would be a great pick for them. I'm wondering why they wouldn't consider Tracy Claeys too.

On a side note, I noticed that Wake Forest hired a DB coach this week, so I'm guessing that landing spot may be out for Sawvel.

I'm sure Sawvel will get hired by someone but I doubt Claeys does this year. Too much negative national attention for someone to hire him now. He'll likely have to wait until everything blows over.

Top Bottom