Former NFL Pro-Bowler Bryce Paup may be Gophers D-line coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He is at Northern Iowa now I belive... not a lot of coaching experience.

That's to bad

He is at Northern Iowa now I belive... not a lot of coaching experience.

Was hoping for at least one holdover like Jeff Phelps from the old coaching staff. He was a great recruiter and a good D-line coach. If you look at the film, the group that improved the most from beginning of season to the end of season was coach Jeff Phelps group. In my opinion the D-line had the most significant improvement in technique and how they controlled the line of scrimmage from the first game until the last game. That kind of improvement speaks to me and say's that guy is a really good teacher. I thought Fleck wanted good teachers on his staff, not just names or NFL reputations.

Who are all the coaches confirmed so far? You are allowed 9 coaches right?
HC (1): Fleck
RB (2): Burns
WR (3): Simon
TE/T (4): Forget the name, Wagner?
OL (5): Marinner (spelling?)
OC (6): Cariacco (spelling?)
DC (7): Rob Smith
DB (8): Mississippi State guy

Have we hired a LB or Special Teams guy yet? Spots are getting slim for OB and Sherels.

Could be a great hire. UNI's defense has pretty much been a top 20 overall defense in FCS during his time there...very good against the rush.

Have we hired a LB or Special Teams guy yet? Spots are getting slim for OB and Sherels.

HC: P.J. Fleck
OC/QB: Kirk Ciarrocca
RB: Kenni Burns
WR: Matt Simon (he's from MN, if you haven't heard)
TE: Brian Callahan
OL: Ed Warinner
DC: Robb Smith
DL: Vacant
LB: Vacant
DB: Maurice Linguist
ST: Rob Wenger

You are allowed 9 assistants under the current rules, which means that we can't hire both a DL and LB coach with the staff as currently constructed (and is also why coordinators almost always are position coaches as well). Smith coached DBs at Arkansas and LBs in previous positions, so I'm guessing that he'll be the LB coach (sorry Sherels) and we'll hire someone for the LB job when the NCAA approves a 10th assistant later this year.

Bryce Paup was an absolute stud, btw.

I think it is a HC, 9 assistants, and 2 grad assistants.

HC: P.J. Fleck
OC/QB: Kirk Ciarrocca
RB: Kenni Burns
WR: Matt Simon (he's from MN, if you haven't heard)
TE: Brian Callahan
OL: Ed Warinner
DC: Robb Smith
DL: Vacant
LB: Vacant
DB: Maurice Linguist
ST: Rob Wenger

You are allowed 9 assistants under the current rules, which means that we can't hire both a DL and LB coach with the staff as currently constructed (and is also why coordinators almost always are position coaches as well). Smith coached DBs at Arkansas and LBs in previous positions, so I'm guessing that he'll be the LB coach (sorry Sherels) and we'll hire someone for the LB job when the NCAA approves a 10th assistant later this year.

Bryce Paup was an absolute stud, btw.

I could see Sherels & O'Brien as QC, then Sherels moving to LB when the 10th assistant is approved this spring.

I liked Bryce Paup as a player, just was kind of hoping there would be one spot held over for a guy like Jeff Phelps. He impressed me the most of anyone on staff last year in player development, and overall improvement of players in the DL group. That is all. Look's like there will not be any holdovers in position coaches which is a slight disappointment.

Always good to get some Packer karma. Good football.

This guy saying its official:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

On a much lower level but he coached Green Bay Southwest High School from a joke program to some good years and they have stayed respectable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paup has connections in both WI and IA. If he helps us steal some recruits from the rivals, I'm all for it!

Paup has connections in both WI and IA. If he helps us steal some recruits from the rivals, I'm all for it!

Bryce was an awesome coach here in GB. Granted at the High School level, but he took a door mat of a program and flipped it around to the state semis in a door 4 years. Relates well to kids, coaches the game the right way...we'll like him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Jim Nelson:

According to a reports out of the University of Minnesota, Northern Iowa defensive line coach Bryce Paup has accepted a similar position under newly hired Golden Gopher head coach P.J. Fleck.

Paup, the former UNI star who was a four-time Pro Bowler with the Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings, has served on Mark Farley's staff for the past four years.

Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel first reported the news Friday afternoon.

In 1995, Paup was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He played for UNI from 1986 to 1989 earning all-American honors in 1989. He played 11 years in the NFL drawing 113 starts.

Since joining Farley's staff, Paup has consistently developed one of the top defensive lines in the country with former star Xavier Williams just finishing his second season with Arizona, and December graduate Karter Schult, was named the Buck Buchanan Award winner, given annually to the FCS' top defensive player.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...cle_6681e7cf-9d9d-5c66-8756-fa27d51d3d85.html

Go Gophers!!

OK.

Trying to grade AC is a slippery slope to avoid. There is NO way to grade them. If they are great, they should stay where they are, right? No, they get promoted. On PC, go with the young, hungry guys. The older, not hungry guys might give you knowledge, but no intensity. Time to go with guts. Just a thing, just an idea. It might work.

We have basically sucked for 60 years. Why not try a jump start???

Three years tops and these guys will be gone.

Come on man, this stuff is ridiculous. Paup spent 6 years at a high school job and 4 years at Northern Iowa. He wasn't too good for these places, even as a former star player. Why so sure he would feel too good for a B1G coaching job?

No I'm not just talking about Paup but all of them. This is a Sh!t hire and he has minimal HC experience. This was a PC hire not a hire to improve our team. This isn't going to end well for the U and then the U will have to start all over again. And again three years tops. And if he is better than what I believe then I'll will say I was wrong. And not keeping Jay around will bite us in the ass too.

Top Bottom