Sources: Wisconsin Def coordinator Justin Wilcox offered California head-coaching job

I doubt we flip anyone, but I'm ok with this.

Considering Cal's finances, not sure they can afford Chip.

This SURELY means the demise of Wisconsin.

Did I do that right?

This SURELY means the demise of Wisconsin.

Did I do that right?

Most definitely, this is the beginning of their decline for the 10th straight year.

Most definitely, this is the beginning of their decline for the 10th straight year.

Haha. Very true. However, I would be amazed that they could find another DC that good. Aranda was off the charts and took them from good to great. Wilcox was the hot prospect a couple years back.
Just had a terrible thought. What if they hire TC or Sawvel?

Wonder who they would replace him with? Hopefully not our former coach. This could end up really bad.

Wonder who they would replace him with? Hopefully not our former coach. This could end up really bad.

They won't (probably will promote a defensive position coach or something) but it wouldn't be a bad idea for them.

Also underscores what a hiring coup Fleck was. Cal got a coordinator from a good but not great program. We got a 13 win experienced head coach.

They won't (probably will promote a defensive position coach or something) but it wouldn't be a bad idea for them.

Also underscores what a hiring coup Fleck was. Cal got a coordinator from a good but not great program. We got a 13 win experienced head coach.

With the consistency Sconnie has shown over the last 2 decades it's hard to say they're not s great program- just not quite elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. Very true. However, I would be amazed that they could find another DC that good. Aranda was off the charts and took them from good to great. Wilcox was the hot prospect a couple years back.

The exact thought crossed my mind when I read the headlines.

Wisconsin is a great program. I don't see them sliding off the table. They've the bones in place.
I don't ever think we will see them in the National Championship format. This is what Fleck wants for the Gophers. If the level above the Badgers is elite, I'm cool with that.

Forgot about Sawvel! Id say well done Wisconsin if they pulled that off!

Think about the high drama! If that happened, the storylines for the Axe game would be incredibly compelling. And depending on both teams performance this season, College Gameday may finally come to Dinkytown.

Wisconsin is a great program. I don't see them sliding off the table. They've the bones in place.
I don't ever think we will see them in the National Championship format. This is what Fleck wants for the Gophers. If the level above the Badgers is elite, I'm cool with that.

Never Ruppert? With the current format of the playoff, Chryst as coach and the makeup of the Big Ten I would never say never. I used to thing the Dick Bennett final four Badger basketball run was a once in a lifetime experience. Not so much.

Speculation in Badgerland for the next DC is around Tim Tibesar the linebackers coach and possibly Jim Leonhard, although that might be a bit of a reach right now.

Never Ruppert? With the current format of the playoff, Chryst as coach and the makeup of the Big Ten I would never say never. I used to thing the Dick Bennett final four Badger basketball run was a once in a lifetime experience. Not so much.

Speculation in Badgerland for the next DC is around Tim Tibesar the linebackers coach and possibly Jim Leonhard, although that might be a bit of a reach right now.
Mark Banker is available. PC and him go way back. Git R done.

Agree. BCS days were a different animal. With the playoff format, win the Big Ten West, win the Big Ten Championship game you are probably in the playoff (unless you have 3 losses).

Probably a dumb question: was there ever a chance that Fleck would have kept Sawvel? Or, is it extremely rare for a new coach to keep a previous coordinator?

Jim Leonhard? didn't he just graduate?;)

Agree. BCS days were a different animal. With the playoff format, win the Big Ten West, win the Big Ten Championship game you are probably in the playoff (unless you have 3 losses).

Probably a dumb question: was there ever a chance that Fleck would have kept Sawvel? Or, is it extremely rare for a new coach to keep a previous coordinator?

Chryst kept Dave Aranda when he came back to Madison. I think it just depends on the quality of the DC and the existing relationships that the new head coach already has in place.

Leonhard does seem young but by all accounts he is an up and comer in the coaching ranks. Great with the players and great with the X's and O's. He says he wants to raise his family in Wisconsin so he would be less likely to bolt for greener pastures. In fact, given his young age he could even be a potential long term "coach in waiting" to replace Chryst down the line.

Penn St?

Cal's last Rose Bowl was 1958. They have been to three bowls in the 2010s. Stanford, their main rival, no longer really considers them a challenge. Good luck.

Bucky now looking for their 3rd DC in the last 3 seasons.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you are a 3-4 d cord why would not take the Wisconsin job? I think the last 6 for them have ended with head coaching jobs or the highest paid assistant in all of college football. So why would someone not take the job.

I had the same thought. We've junked one of the best defensive coaching staffs in the nation - will they come back to bite us?

That's why I said "probably" :cool:

Plus, after Ohio State laid an egg this year, probably will not see a non Big Ten champ in the playoff for awhile.

That can be said for all P5.

Bucky now looking for their 3rd DC in the last 3 seasons.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't argue with success. Hope Gophs start losing assistant coaches this way in the near future.

Top Bottom