Larry Fitzgerald: Tracy Claeys: Gopher scapegoat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fitzgerald:

Usually leadership at NCAA Institutions like Big Ten schools with 45,000 students comes from university presidents. Not at Minnesota, where President Eric Kaler has done his best recently to bungle the important role of the athletic program.

He places academic achievement as his number-one priority, and in many ways under his watch he has undermined the importance of the athletic program, which drives the revenue streams for university athletics.

It’s been called dysfunctional: The clear incompetence and laxity of administration leadership have pushed the Gophers to the verge of being a national joke. Last week, Head Football Coach Tracey Claeys was fired after becoming the first Gophers football coach to win both of his first back-to-back bowl games.

http://msrnews.online/2017/01/10/tracy-claeys-gopher-scapegoat/

Go Gophers!!

the Minneapolis Spokesman Recorder may want to check its official position on academic achievement.

From Fitz article:
Fleck will make $3.5 million a year over the next five years while the suspended Gopher football players await a hearing on their fate and suspensions. Kaler still has job, and his mistakes are evident. His lack of leadership and poor decision-making are clear and are costing this university a small fortune.

of course Tracy was made the scapegoat....

Larry, your son should have been a Gopher. Unforgivable. And we're moving on with RTB. Didn't you get the memo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If LarF, Sr. is against it, it must have been a good thing.

Larry, your son should have been a Gopher. Unforgivable. And we're moving on with RTB. Didn't you get the memo?

Can we just drop this Row the Boat schtick and stick with Ski U Mah already?!? What are we going to do in three years if Fleck moves on to a better job? This mini-hero worship is a bit over the top.

Claeys is not a scapegoat. He flat out lied to his players about him not having anything to do with the suspensions, then lied to the public about it as well. We finally have a president and AD who bypassed the search committee and went out and got their first choice for head coach while paying huge amounts of money that this school has never been willing to pay before. Kaler and Coyle are both the kinds of administrators people on this board have been begging to come here for years, administrators who care about winning in football and basketball and are willing to pay like the Michigans and Ohio States of the world. Now that we have them and this dream is becoming reality, we're complaining because Claeys got his damn feelings hurt? We hired Jerry Kill 6 years ago, not Tracey Claeys. Coyle didn't fire Claeys, you don't fire an interim coach (which is really what Claeys was). Coyle simply decided not to hire Claeys for this job, which was the right decision as Claeys has no business being a head coach in the Big Ten.

We need Kaler and especially Coyle to stick around a long time.

Sure is easy for folks to forget Claeys, his accomplishments, and the disgusting way he was treated by AD and Prez. Now that we have Fleck, all is well.

At some point, you or your family may be treated in the same manner. You wont like it.

Sure is easy for folks to forget Claeys, his accomplishments, and the disgusting way he was treated by AD and Prez. Now that we have Fleck, all is well.

At some point, you or your family may be treated in the same manner. You wont like it.

At some point your daughter or niece will be treated in the same manner by 10 football players. You won't like it.

Larry, Larry, why ya buggin'?

Oh that's right, because you're self righteous. :)

Claeys is not a scapegoat. He flat out lied to his players about him not having anything to do with the suspensions, then lied to the public about it as well. We finally have a president and AD who bypassed the search committee and went out and got their first choice for head coach while paying huge amounts of money that this school has never been willing to pay before. Kaler and Coyle are both the kinds of administrators people on this board have been begging to come here for years, administrators who care about winning in football and basketball and are willing to pay like the Michigans and Ohio States of the world. Now that we have them and this dream is becoming reality, we're complaining because Claeys got his damn feelings hurt? We hired Jerry Kill 6 years ago, not Tracey Claeys. Coyle didn't fire Claeys, you don't fire an interim coach (which is really what Claeys was). Coyle simply decided not to hire Claeys for this job, which was the right decision as Claeys has no business being a head coach in the Big Ten.

(1) I don't see how you could have any idea that Claeys lied.
(2) Every time Kaler or Coyle discuss the situation, they've described it differently. They've changed their story how many times?
(3) You think people are complaining that CLaeys feelings got hurt? That's how you would describe the situation. Ha. Ok.
(4) We hired Jerry Kill 6 years ago and we HIRED Tracy Claeys as a head coach a year and 2 months ago (new contract and everything). I figure you aren't the kind of person that lets reality get in the way of their asinine ideas, but Tracy Claeys was hired as our head coach. He was not an interim coach.
(5) No, Coyle fired Claeys. Again, there is a thing called reality that you want to avoid. I am fine with an AD bringing their own guy, but lets live in reality. He fired Claeys and hired Fleck.

I am not surprised that someone who supports these two clowns is attempting to find some sort of fiction about how things really went down.

At some point your daughter or niece will be treated in the same manner by 10 football players. You won't like it.

LOL. Ha. Engage in consensual group sex with them? That sounds more like your family messed up on that one.

Wrong.

1) My daughter does not use Tinder
2) At age 22 she won't be hooking up with 17 and 18 year olds for group sex

Can we just drop this Row the Boat schtick and stick with Ski U Mah already?!? What are we going to do in three years if Fleck moves on to a better job? This mini-hero worship is a bit over the top.

Do you need your morning coffee? Or perhaps a binky?

Maybe Larry, but at this point it is time to move on.

The King is dead.

Long live the King.

+1

Are you asking the Gopher Nation to drop "Row the Boat"?;)

(2) Every time Kaler or Coyle discuss the situation, they've described it differently. They've changed their story how many times?
(3) You think people are complaining that CLaeys feelings got hurt? That's how you would describe the situation. Ha. Ok.
(4) We hired Jerry Kill 6 years ago and we HIRED Tracy Claeys as a head coach a year and 2 months ago (new contract and everything). I figure you aren't the kind of person that lets reality get in the way of their asinine ideas, but Tracy Claeys was hired as our head coach. He was not an interim coach.
(5) No, Coyle fired Claeys. Again, there is a thing called reality that you want to avoid. I am fine with an AD bringing their own guy, but lets live in reality. He fired Claeys and hired Fleck.

I am not surprised that someone who supports these two clowns is attempting to find some sort of fiction about how things really went down.

Yet you don't know any more details than DMB123. Your opinion doesn't hold any more truth.

You and a few other posters continue to believe since their actions were deemed legal, they didn't do anything wrong. The majority of the rest of the fans and the media across the country believe it's immoral and disgusting to run a train on a drunk girl regardless if she consented or not.

Claeys is just as much to blame for this whole fiasco blowing up as the other two people in leadership. At least Kaler and Coyle made a tough, lose-lose decision and stuck by it with conviction. The University would have been absolutely crucified publicly and legally if they had gone against the recommendation of the EOAA. People act like Claeys stuck his neck out for his players, but he was basically silent on the suspensions outside of one tweet! Your head football coach is the face and voice of your program, whether he was leaning one way or the other, he should have been out in front of it and made himself available for questions to the media. I may be mistaken, but I don't think he every issued an official statement. He lost control of his team and his threw his boss into the fire over a difficult decision that they were put into.

Maybe he is a scapegoat, but Claeys is not the martyr some of you are making him out to be. He showed zero leadership in a very dark time for the program.

Right there with you. How many presidents and athletic directors have we had that didn't care at all about athletics?

So we've had ADs who didn't care about athletics?

I don't know if we will ever know who did or did not lie. Just like the case itself, there are many interpretations of what happened. Coyle has to take some responsibility in this. He knew about the case since mid-September. So did the President of the University. According to most accounts Pres. Kaler attended most all of the games. I'm sure he was aware that some players were suspended during the season.

The majority of the rest of the fans and the media across the country believe it's immoral and disgusting to run a train on a drunk girl regardless if she consented or not.

Bizarre thinking and a scary statement. Keep your judgement and moralizing away from me.

So we've had ADs who didn't care about athletics?

Well let's put it this way. The AD's may have cared but didn't have the balls or the pull to do much after the McKinley Boston fiasco. Remember Badger Joel? Most people on this board thought he was sabotaging our athletic dept.

(1) In my opinion Claeys lied because I believe Mark Coyle when he says that him and Claeys discussed the suspensions together and Claeys didn't voice any opposition to it with Coyle at that time. Then later he says he was against it?
(2) No they haven't. In fact they've been quite consistent on the matter, which is obviously why you chose not to provide any evidence of this.
(3) Yes, people are upset that Claeys was mistreated, without realizing that it was his own actions, and actions of his team during his watch, that got him fired. You continue to give Claeys a pass, even though all of this happened on his watch. He was the head coach and he allowed a 17 year old recruit to engage in group sex. He is to blame for allowing that type of thing to occur with a recruit, he needs to make sure the recruits are being taken care of and are with a responsible chaperone for the weekend.
(4) This is where you are dead wrong, and very naive. You, me, and everyone on this planet knows that the 2016 season was a one year trial for Tracey Claeys. That is the definition of an interim coach. He was an interim coach without the official interim tag, and you know it. I will say again, Coyle didn't truly fire him (although yes, technically he did). He simply decided to not hire Claeys on as the full time head coach of this program. Keep burying your head in the sand and believing that Claeys wasn't an interim coach on a one year trial, but you're alone in that regard.

Bob, you may want to think about who you are defending. In your mind, it's not the ten players that may have raped a girl that are the problem. In your mind it's not the head coach's fault for allowing this type of culture and behavior to occur with recruits in town for visits. Nope, it couldn't be their fault. Instead it's the fault of two men who, by all accounts, had more information to go off of than anyone else had.

I would also like to know why you're so rude to posters who simply have a different opinion on this matter than you have. I haven't posted much here. I make one post and you respond in a very rude and child like manner. Grow up and engage in a discussion like an adult.

LOL. Ha. Engage in consensual group sex with them? That sounds more like your family messed up on that one.
You mean besides the part where she asked it to stop and went directly to the emergency room and the police immediately afterward claiming she was just raped?

You clearly don't have kids, or at least not a daughter. And I hope you never do. Wow.

Top Bottom