Fleck on his priorities: Recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Then recruit more.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to guess Fleck, for the who said it. Although I'm sure Brewster said something very similar.

Whether we like it or not, recruiting has somehow turned into a 365 day 24/7 issue. This is good and bad.

Whether we like it or not, recruiting has somehow turned into a 365 day 24/7 issue. This is good and bad.

While I don't disagree, recruiting is going to be Fleck's only priority right now with signing day just a few days away and them trying to get as much talent on board as possible in a really small window or time. Ask this same question after signing day and I would be recruiting would still be part of the answer but he might add some other things to the mix as well. :)

While I don't disagree, recruiting is going to be Fleck's only priority right now with signing day just a few days away and them trying to get as much talent on board as possible in a really small window or time. Ask this same question after signing day and I would be recruiting would still be part of the answer but he might add some other things to the mix as well. :)

Agree. Any new coach now has a month to do what others have been building towards for two years. Everything is going to be secondary to this until signing day.

I'm going to guess Fleck, for the who said it. Although I'm sure Brewster said something very similar.

I suspect that every coach in college basketball and football has said something similar. But I love how you want to turn it into a negative by making the connection to only Brewster.

I suspect that every coach in college basketball and football has said something similar. But I love how you want to turn it into a negative by making the connection to only Brewster.

I don't love it.

We will need to recruit until we get so great we start selecting...

The main reason W Michigan went from 1-10 to 12-1 in Fleck's tenure is recruiting. They had the number 1 class in the MAC three years in a row. There is a W Michigan wide receiver targeted for the 1st round in this years Mock draft and their quarterback may get drafted at some point. Talent makes all coaches better. Saban was mortal at Michigan St but a God at Alabama. He probably is a better coach with more experience, but Alabama has had Top 1 or 2 recruiting classes last 5 years. So, recruiting more talent will 100% make PJ Fleck a better coach and provide a better opportunity to succeed at Minnesota.

Even with WMU adding recruits, it has now sunk even further...89th. Wow.

The main reason W Michigan went from 1-10 to 12-1 in Fleck's tenure is recruiting. They had the number 1 class in the MAC three years in a row. There is a W Michigan wide receiver targeted for the 1st round in this years Mock draft and their quarterback may get drafted at some point. Talent makes all coaches better. Saban was mortal at Michigan St but a God at Alabama. He probably is a better coach with more experience, but Alabama has had Top 1 or 2 recruiting classes last 5 years. So, recruiting more talent will 100% make PJ Fleck a better coach and provide a better opportunity to succeed at Minnesota.

Of course recruiting is important, but coaching has to work in concert or it won't go anywhere. There are countless examples of guys who can recruit like crazy but can't coach a lick. There are also guys who can coach and have no interest in or ability to recruit. You need guys who can do both well in order to be elite.

I have zero doubt whatsoever that Saban would've won a national title at MSU had he stayed there. He had them finishing in the top 10 in year 5.

As noted on other threads, the previous WMU coach had several classes ranked higher than the ones Fleck had those years. Overall rankings of MAC recruiting has declined in recent years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the QB was there already when Fleck arrived. He had been red shirted.

Of course recruiting is important, but coaching has to work in concert or it won't go anywhere. There are countless examples of guys who can recruit like crazy but can't coach a lick. There are also guys who can coach and have no interest in or ability to recruit. You need guys who can do both well in order to be elite.

I have zero doubt whatsoever that Saban would've won a national title at MSU had he stayed there. He had them finishing in the top 10 in year 5.

Yep. To get upward recruiting momentum, they have to be able to find talent with high potential, and then develop and coach up those players to capitalize on that potential. Fleck has much better talent here than he did at WMU. With the majority perception that PJ is a better HC coach than Claeys, he should hit the ground running without any drop off in success.

I don't doubt that either. I don't think he'd have equalled his success at 'Bama, though.

Yep. To get upward recruiting momentum, they have to be able to find talent with high potential, and then develop and coach up those players to capitalize on that potential. Fleck has much better talent here than he did at WMU. With the majority perception that PJ is a better HC coach than Claeys, he should hit the ground running without any drop off in success.

What's the objective measure?

Hopefully he can develop his "elite" recruits. Over the last 6 years or so, Tommy Olson and Carter Coughlin are the only two 4-star recruits that actually panned out. Isaac Hayes, Jamal Harbison, Seth Green, Jeff Jones, Melvin Holland, Andrew McDonald, Moses Alipate all were disappointments in their own respects. There's got to be a balance of recruiting and developing. Kill was 29-29 in the B1G all while only having 1 or 2 4-stars that actually made an impact. It all starts with recruiting, but hopefully Fleck's staff can coach these kids up like Kill was able to do year in and year out.

If you can find one D1 coach who says his #1 priority is NOT recruiting, I'll eat my favorite Gopher t-shirt.

Everybody says the #1 priority is recruiting. Fleck just says it with a little more pizazz - as he does with virtually everything.

If I say I'm having a tuna salad sandwich for lunch, you go "so what." If Fleck says he's having a tuna salad sandwich for lunch, everybody will be running out and buying tuna. Dude's a salesman.

If you can find one D1 coach who says his #1 priority is NOT recruiting, I'll eat my favorite Gopher t-shirt.

Everybody says the #1 priority is recruiting. Fleck just says it with a little more pizazz - as he does with virtually everything.

If I say I'm having a tuna salad sandwich for lunch, you go "so what." If Fleck says he's having a tuna salad sandwich for lunch, everybody will be running out and buying tuna. Dude's a salesman.

His tuna salad is ELITE: the tuna got caught and then proceeded to row the boat all the way from the Pacific, through the chain of Great Lakes, and straight on to his bread. :)

That is one funny post but very true. :D

Wow...WMU 2017 class continues to tumble. Even with adding recruits, it has dropped to a log jam tie ranked 99th. Looks like PJ will bring the Gophs in at right around where they've been the last several years...about 50th.

Top Bottom