Mike Sherels

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Chip:

Sherels said he has had positive conversations with Fleck since he was hired.

"He’s been nothing but great to me," Sherels said. "I don’t have a bad word to say about him. I really don’t."

Sherels said he met with Fleck last week to discuss his thoughts on the Gophers program and share his insight as a former two-time team captain and assistant coach.

"I had a lot of thoughts about the team, the direction that it needed to go and things that needed to change," Sherels said. "And he sat down and listened to every one of them. Those to me were a lot more important than trying to get my job saved. This has been a hole for 13,14 years since I’ve been here. 'This is what’s wrong with Minnesota football right now.' I went through a long list. He sat down and listened and took notes."

http://www.startribune.com/fleck-doesn-t-retain-sherels-on-staff/410725905/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

It would be very bad PR for Fleck to not retain Sherels. He is local, well liked and has been a compelling story with his health issues.

If Sherels is gone, a lot of good will for Fleck will evaporate.

I think the average fan has no idea who Sherels is or has any opinion on whether he should stay. That and the passionate fans would get over it.

Hope everything goes ok for him, he is in a tough place. Hope they can find some capacity for him because it sounds like he breathes and bleeds maroon and gold.
GL Mike

Does anyone have the link to contribute to the Sherels family? I've misplaced it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the average fan has no idea who Sherels is or has any opinion on whether he should stay. That and the passionate fans would get over it.

Yes, you are probably right and my take was overly dramatic. The only way it would become a big deal is if Mike made it one- and he is too classy a guy to make it a big deal.

Right now he just needs to take care of himself and not push this condition that he currently has. Its mind boggling what he has been able to do in the last few months after the surgery. I'm just hoping that a job is there for taking when he recovers at the speed he needs to get well. I've never met him, but from all reports that I've read, he is a super Minnesota fan, coach, and citizen. GET WELL!

The average fan absolutely knows who Mike is...same with Marcus.

Darn. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipscoggins ✔ @chipscoggins
Sherels sat down with Fleck last week and gave him a long list of reasons why Gophers football hasn't won consistently. Fleck took notes. ..
11:17 AM - 14 Jan 2017

I would have like to be in the room for this one.

Chip Scoggins: If Sherels isn't on Gophers coaching staff, it's Fleck's mistake

P.J. Fleck hasn’t officially announced his Gophers coaching staff, but holdover linebackers coach Mike Sherels confirmed Saturday that he won’t be part of it. For now.

That’s a shame, though the door remains open for Sherels depending on a proposed NCAA rule change that would expand football coaching staffs by one member.

“P.J. Fleck has been nothing but great to me,” Sherels said. “I don’t have a bad word to say about him. I really don’t.”

Every new coach deserves to bring in his own staff. They shouldn’t feel obligated to keep anyone.

But Fleck’s decision to not retain Sherels is a mistake because it’s a missed opportunity by a new coach in a new market.

Sherels brings deep institutional knowledge as a former two-time team captain and assistant coach. He’s popular with his players, state high school coaches and fans. He’s a dynamic recruiter. And he coached the second-most effective position group on the team this season behind running backs.

Sherels would be a smart hire for those reasons. That’s how he wants to be evaluated. On merit. He doesn’t want a pity party.

http://www.startribune.com/if-mike-...g-staff-that-s-p-j-fleck-s-mistake/410741615/

Go Gophers!!

Chip Scoggins: If Sherels isn't on Gophers coaching staff, it's Fleck's mistake

P.J. Fleck hasn’t officially announced his Gophers coaching staff, but holdover linebackers coach Mike Sherels confirmed Saturday that he won’t be part of it. For now.

That’s a shame, though the door remains open for Sherels depending on a proposed NCAA rule change that would expand football coaching staffs by one member.

“P.J. Fleck has been nothing but great to me,” Sherels said. “I don’t have a bad word to say about him. I really don’t.”

Every new coach deserves to bring in his own staff. They shouldn’t feel obligated to keep anyone.

But Fleck’s decision to not retain Sherels is a mistake because it’s a missed opportunity by a new coach in a new market.

Sherels brings deep institutional knowledge as a former two-time team captain and assistant coach. He’s popular with his players, state high school coaches and fans. He’s a dynamic recruiter. And he coached the second-most effective position group on the team this season behind running backs.

Sherels would be a smart hire for those reasons. That’s how he wants to be evaluated. On merit. He doesn’t want a pity party.

http://www.startribune.com/if-mike-...g-staff-that-s-p-j-fleck-s-mistake/410741615/

Go Gophers!!

Sherels met with Fleck several times last week to discuss the program. Sherels gave him a long list of reasons why he believes the program hasn’t won consistently and what needs to change. Fleck took notes.

“Those [issues] to me were a lot more important than trying to get my job saved,” Sherels said.

His devotion to coaching and Gophers football remains remarkable. He returned to the sideline about a month after fighting for his life on a ventilator. He worked long hours despite not being able to eat or drink. He receives nutrients in a formula that is pumped through a line in his chest.

Sherels made his first trip alone after the season to visit recruits, traveling to Oklahoma and Texas. He was “terrified” the first trip because his wife, Emily, has always prepared the formula he receives at night.

“I had a good teacher in Emily and seeing her do it hundreds of times prepared me well,” he said.

The timing of his latest surgery was tricky because it overlapped with Fleck’s arrival. Sherels realized that could complicate his chances of getting on Fleck’s staff, but he didn’t consider rescheduling.

He hopes to eat “socially” again, but he likely always will need additional nutrition via his port. He’s already thinking about how this critical step will affect his coaching, specifically his desire to become a head coach someday.

“How do you go to a booster or go to a donor event and you can’t eat?” he asked. “This has to happen.”

This has been a long, hard journey for Sherels. He hasn’t lost his optimism or fighting spirit.

“Put one foot in front of the other and just keep rolling,” he said.

He vows to continue that march. And if the NCAA adds a 10th coach soon, Fleck shouldn’t look very far to fill it.

Top Bottom