STrib: Who said it: P.J. Fleck or Tim Brewster?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

First, as always, the disclaimer:

The comparisons between current Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck and former Gophers coach Tim Brewster start and stop with their outgoing styles. Fleck was brought in after coaching an undefeated regular season at a D-I school. Brewster had never been a head coach or coordinator in his life. Big football difference.

There’s nothing wrong with genuine enthusiasm, and there’s no reason Fleck can’t succeed with the Gophers even though Brewster did not.

OK, with that throat-clearing out of the way, a lot of people have suggested it would be fun to compare Fleck’s opening news conference Friday with Brewster’s opening news conference almost exactly a decade ago in January 2007. Both were boisterous events filled with colorful phrases and visions of success. And let’s face it: every news conference starts to sound the same after a while.

So: let’s have some fun. I want back and found the transcript from Brewster’s introductory presser. I of course also have Fleck’s transcript. I was physically there for both events, too. Below, you will find 10 combined quotes — five from Fleck, five from Brewster — from those first news conferences. Can you guess who said what? Answers are at the bottom.

1)We share a vision of winning the Big Ten and having Rose Bowls. And I’m not afraid to say that because that’s the way I live my life. I’m not afraid to hide behind something and say, you know, I can’t promise you something. I’m going to promise you a lot, because that’s the way I live my life. And that’s what I want to be able to create here at the University of Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/who-said-it-p-j-fleck-or-tim-brewster/410292895/

Go Gophers!!

Go away. Dig something up on the Vikings

Yeah, I agree with you. I did not click on the link. Brewster did not fail because of what he said, rather he failed because of things he did not accomplish. And to quote words spoken by someone else, "At this point, what difference does it make.":)

Who wrote it: Star Tribune or The Onion? That would be a tough one.

I am supportive of the hire, do not agree with the Brewster to Fleck comparisons and still enjoyed the article.

You can like his resume, but there's no doubt that Fleck is a salesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can like his resume, but there's no doubt that Fleck is a salesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think?

Articles like this feed into the whole "Fleck is Brewster, Brewster is Fleck" rhetoric that some in the media are running with and non-fans are eating up. It's dumb and only serves to falsely equate the two.

You think?

Articles like this feed into the whole "Fleck is Brewster, Brewster is Fleck" rhetoric that some in the media are running with and non-fans are eating up. It's dumb and only serves to falsely equate the two.

Agree the story is overblown by the media and casual fans are likely to believe whatever the media says, which is unfortunate in this instance.

If I were to say "PJ Fleck is quite the salesman" would you disagree with me?

Maybe I should finish the sentence "PJ Fleck is quite the salesman who also has shown he knows how to coach." But it's pretty clear to me he brings a lot of sales and flash to the program, for better or worse.

Ok, count me among those who are excited and energized by the hire of Fleck. But, it seems to me people are getting too uptight about rational comments about Fleck, who is so far unproven at this level and warranting some degree of caution, especially given his generous salary. He hasn't actually beaten any top notch Big Ten teams despite his "elite" recruiting classes (forgive me if I don't think his two Big Ten wins -- Northwestern [barely] or Illinois are "elite" wins, and let's not forget that he lost his last big game to....Wisconsin, which was never even really that close). I'm very intrigued by the hire and feel more optimistic about Gopher football. But, there are legitimate comparisons to Brewster's style being made. Fleck's style, while motivating to some, is also somewhat understandably nauseating to others. But, I accept that young impressionable men may buy into his flashy style, and he likely may be what's needed, and be successful. i'm hopeful and optimistic. But, it's not crazy to compare his style to someone we know from the recent past with similar elite tremendous promises...I'll wait to judge him after I see his success on the field.

Ok, count me among those who are excited and energized by the hire of Fleck. But, it seems to me people are getting too uptight about rational comments about Fleck, who is so far unproven at this level and warranting some degree of caution, especially given his generous salary. He hasn't actually beaten any top notch Big Ten teams despite his "elite" recruiting classes (forgive me if I don't think his two Big Ten wins -- Northwestern [barely] or Illinois are "elite" wins, and let's not forget that he lost his last big game to....Wisconsin, which was never even really that close). I'm very intrigued by the hire and feel more optimistic about Gopher football. But, there are legitimate comparisons to Brewster's style being made. Fleck's style, while motivating to some, is also somewhat understandably nauseating to others. But, I accept that young impressionable men may buy into his flashy style, and he likely may be what's needed, and be successful. i'm hopeful and optimistic. But, it's not crazy to compare his style to someone we know from the recent past with similar elite tremendous promises...I'll wait to judge him after I see his success on the field.

This board should be a safe zone from criticizing Fleck.

If Brewster had gotten us to the Rise Bowl, we'd have loved the Rose Bowl turf.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Fleck being compared to Brewster is just like Claeys being compared to Gutekunst.
Neither of the comparisons are valid.
With Claeys, we will never know as he wasn't given time to run the program.
With Fleck, we will be able to make that comparison in a few years. Here's hoping that it isn't even a close comparison and he is able to take Gopher Football to the promised land! Ski-U-Mah

Top Bottom