The CFP/New Year's 6 : ACC Reigns through 3 Years

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
These are the raw numbers. No gimmicks, no blatant agenda and/or SEC-boot-licking from ESPN, whatsoever. The best way to judge conferences is how they perform in the elite bowl games, defined as the New Year's 6 and CFP. Take with a grain of salt all the others.

Through 3 years of the CFP/New Year's 6 format, the ACC -- not the SEC or B1G -- has been the best conference. The SEC and B1G, pick your order, appear to be next in line.

CFP Bids
1 ACC (3)
B1G (3)
SEC (3)
4 Pac 12 (2)
5 Big XII (1)

CFP Records
1 ACC (3-2)
SEC (3-2)
3 B1G (2-2)
4 Pac 12 (1-2)
5 Big XII (0-1)

CFP Championships
1 ACC (1)
B1G (1)
SEC (1)

New Year’s 6 Bids
1 B1G (9)
2 SEC (7)
3 ACC (6)
4 Big XII (5)
Pac 12 (5)
6 American (1)
MAC (1)
Mountain West (1)
Notre Dame (1)

New Year’s 6/CFP Records
1 American (1-0)
Mountain West (1-0)
3 ACC (5-3)
4 B1G (5-5)
Pac 12 (3-3)
6 SEC (4-5)
7 Big XII (2-3)
8 MAC (0-1)
Notre Dame (0-1)

Schools with New Year's 6/CFP Wins -- By Conference
ACC (3) -- Clemson (3), Florida State (1), Georgia Tech (1)
B1G (3) -- Ohio State (3), Michigan State (1), Wisconsin (1)
Pac 12 (3) -- Oregon (1), Stanford (1), USC (1)
Big XII (2) -- Oklahoma (1), TCU (1)
SEC (2) -- Alabama (3), Ole Miss (1)
American (1) -- Houston (1)
Mountain West (1) -- Boise State (1)

I've always felt the power conferences are pretty even. The BCS years were getting ridiculous with the SEC ESPN boot licking. Basically the regular season had boiled down to two tournaments to determine the championship game participants. The SEC got to have their own participant and the rest of college football played to determine the opponent. I didn't even watch the "championship game" the year it featured two SEC teams because I felt it was a farce. The new format is much better. I feel a further expansion of playoffs would be even better.

A woman called into the Dan Patrick Show this morning. She noted that in this season Clemson had beaten the last 7 National Champions. Didn't check, but that's a nice, if slightly skewed, accomplishment.

A woman called into the Dan Patrick Show this morning. She noted that in this season Clemson had beaten the last 7 National Champions. Didn't check, but that's a nice, if slightly skewed, accomplishment.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom