How to swap staffs with minimal disruption?

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Fleck seems like the type of guy that wants to rip off the Band-Aid and build it his way. He won 1 game his first year at WMU and is on record saying things like (I'm paraphrasing): "I don't care if we win a single game this first year."

That said, the cupboard is not bare. From a playbook standpoint, have you heard of any stories where coaches will "translate" their playbook to accommodate the "incumbent" players? You still get the new guy's playbook, but the nomenclature is mapped to the Claeys/Kill terminology. I'm on board with Fleck's long-term vision, but HOW he gets there might have an impact on his success.

Fleck did mention a "glossary" or something like that, but I got the feeling that was more culture than X's and O's.

What are some other things a new coaching staff can do to make it as easy as possible to transition to a new philosophy, scheme, playbook, etc? How do you combat any "them" vs "us" mentality that might creep up between WSU flips and Minnesota players?

Fleck seems like the type of guy that wants to rip off the Band-Aid and build it his way. He won 1 game his first year at WMU and is on record saying things like (I'm paraphrasing): "I don't care if we win a single game this first year."

That said, the cupboard is not bare. From a playbook standpoint, have you heard of any stories where coaches will "translate" their playbook to accommodate the "incumbent" players? You still get the new guy's playbook, but the nomenclature is mapped to the Claeys/Kill terminology. I'm on board with Fleck's long-term vision, but HOW he gets there might have an impact on his success.

Fleck did mention a "glossary" or something like that, but I got the feeling that was more culture than X's and O's.

What are some other things a new coaching staff can do to make it as easy as possible to transition to a new philosophy, scheme, playbook, etc? How do you combat any "them" vs "us" mentality that might creep up between WSU flips and Minnesota players?
He's not going to take shortcuts, sacrificing longterm development for immediate success

Translating the playbook to fit the 80+ guys that are already on the team is not a shortcut.
Just curious.

Coaches can grasp this stuff much more than players.

The team this year had to understand new terminology with Coach Johnson. Early in the year there were some rough patches with false starts, but as the year went on it got much better.
Would think the same this coming season. They will have some early missteps, but will improve as the year goes on.
The players will have an entire spring to work through the new terminology and schemes. I believe the players can grasp those concepts in that time, work on them individually and in groups over the summer and then refine them when it gets to fall camp. From looking at some WMU games, the offense is similar to what we have run here the past 6 years, so the transition shouldn't be as tough as if we were switching to an Air Raid or Triple Option offense.

I haven't watched more then the game against Wisconsin but their offense looks very similar to our current offense scheme. Language will be different. Looks like they use to run a 4-3 defense....looks like Arkansas does the same.

Shouldn't be too difficult.

Top Bottom