Mason, please stop with the sideways "drift" jump shot.

I guess we need Lynch out there shooting them with that analogy. How about Bakary? Personal belief that shooters who are stuggling should keep shooting, like Mason was doing. Also believe people who definitely aren't shooters are wide open because the defense doesn't think you can hit it.

Curry's 3 was absolutely necessary as a 3 for 15 3pt shooter. Murphy above the 3pt line is worthless as he cannot make that shot nor can he drive from there without turning it over. He has done great in the high post as of late!

Oh by the way Murphy is 3 for 17.

If you want to just argue with hyperbole than let's just stop.

As a coach, it's incredibly difficult to tell one guy he can or cannot take a certain shot.

Murph HAS mad 3 3's this year. I'm not, nor is anyone in their right mind, arguing that we should run sets that encourage Murph or Curry to shoot threes, obviously they shoot a lower percentage from 3 than the rest of their attempts.

The suggestion that coach should tell Murphy he can or cannot take a shot, in my opinion, is not a productive conversation. If it's in rhythm and a good look, take it.

I got to the Ohio State game early, and watched the guys warmup and shoot-a-round. I normally don't notice much of any significance, but I couldn't help notice that Mason missed every single jump shot I saw him take. I brushed it off and thought "it will be different in the game". Well, it was more of the same. While the defense against him was very good, I think a lot of it was just him having a rare off night. I'm predicting he tears it up against the Spartans. We need his scoring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

False.

Definition of multiple
1: consisting of, including, or involving more than one <multiple births> - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiple

Since he had 2 TOs with under 5 minutes to go over the last two games, he had multiple TOs. In those two games, he's accounted for 40% of the teams TOs with under 5 minutes left.

Ok, that's an odd way of phrasing it, basically he had one turnover in the last five minutes in each of the last two games and you want to call it multiple turnovers in the past two games in the last five minutes? Go ahead I guess. So, he's had two of the team's five turnovers in a total of ten minutes over two games? Reggie Lynch also has 40% of them (and they all came in one game, while he was fouled out for most of the final five minutes of the other).

Interesting battle to try to fight. Not in the Top 50 of things to worry about in relation to this team.

It's just a different philosophy. PF and C 20 years ago rarely shot the 3. Now if you have a big man with good touch its part of the game, see Wisconsin. I think what gets lost in that philosophy is that certain players who rarely hit from 15 ft are now attempting 3's off 1 pass without making the defense work, as Knight would say. In my mind unless Murphy is setting a pick I wouldn't want him above the 3 pt line, he is not a factor there. He is a 15 ft and in monster especially on the glass.

It's the same reason the announcers were telling us what a mistake it is to crowd Tate and Lyle on the 3pt line when their game is based on driving to the basket. Play to your strengths.

Maybe a coach doesn't need to tell Murphy he cannot take a certain shot, but maybe suggest he take one dribble and let it go from 15 where he can still be a factor on the glass.

If you want to just argue with hyperbole than let's just stop.

As a coach, it's incredibly difficult to tell one guy he can or cannot take a certain shot.

Murph HAS mad 3 3's this year. I'm not, nor is anyone in their right mind, arguing that we should run sets that encourage Murph or Curry to shoot threes, obviously they shoot a lower percentage from 3 than the rest of their attempts.

The suggestion that coach should tell Murphy he can or cannot take a shot, in my opinion, is not a productive conversation. If it's in rhythm and a good look, take it.

Mason, I love your game. But please stop with the sideway drift when you are shooting jump shots on the move. I'm not talking about the floater when you drive the lane to the basket - that is a thing of beauty. I'm talking about the shot right after a great lateral move when you've created space with the defender 10-18 ft from the basket. Last night you took 5-6 shots within 18 ft of the basket that when you went up for the jump shot you didn't go straight up - you were drifting sideways relative to the basket. That is a darn tough shot. You got several of those to go in against Purdue - a night when nearly every shot went in. Last night, you didn't make any of them. Its cool when they go in, but it is not a high percentage shot - its a tough shot to make consistently. I actually think its a lazy shot (not that your lazy), it just takes more energy to get your body under control and go straight up. But the shooting results are undeniable. I know you value my opinion, so there it is.
Go Gophers!

Suddenly, Nate' short-to-mid range jumper has turned into an ugly, no-arc, no spin, line drive dud. It's strange, cause he always showed such a soft, sweet touch. Nate's become out-of-sorts lately. Hope he gets his groove back.

Suddenly, Nate' short-to-mid range jumper has turned into an ugly, no-arc, no spin, line drive dud. It's strange, cause he always showed such a soft, sweet touch. Nate's become out-of-sorts lately. Hope he gets his groove back.

Drugs:confused:

Too think we were debating whether Mason could play in the NBA just a few weeks ago. Melo had 13p, 7 reb, and 9 assists. Melo is a backup NBA pg who probably wont get drafted until the second round. He isn't athletic enough to be projected as a starter in the NBA, but he is way quicker than Mason.

He scored 31. Then he became the focal point of Big Ten defenses and he has had difficulty with it as he seems to have to expend a lot of energy to find a shot now. He is shift and smart but not super quick.

He scored 31. Then he became the focal point of Big Ten defenses and he has had difficulty with it as he seems to have to expend a lot of energy to find a shot now. He is shift and smart but not super quick.

Expend a lot of energy? He's missing open shots. "Not super quick " He is constantly beating single coverage off the dribble. He has to do a better job on the kickkout double team at the top of the key. When he sees the double come up he needs to move the ball to the open side.

Expend a lot of energy? He's missing open shots. "Not super quick " He is constantly beating single coverage off the dribble. He has to do a better job on the kickkout double team at the top of the key. When he sees the double come up he needs to move the ball to the open side.

I'm sure Musselman would coach it out of him...:rolleyes:

Mason has a hitch in his shot, so its not surprising he is a streaky shooter

Mason is a bit like Tyus Jones. Neither were great super quick athletes. But they could change gears and get by people. They aren't like Bobby Jackson or Kevin Clark.

Mason is a bit like Tyus Jones. Neither were great super quick athletes. But they could change gears and get by people. They aren't like Bobby Jackson or Kevin Clark.

Is there a difference between quick and super quick? That is a new one on me.

Some guys can score by being great athletes and going straight to the rim ( Bobby, Nolen, Clark), others who aren't as fast (Cobb, Mason, Tyus, Devoe) score on step back floaters, fade aways, or changing gears going from slow to faster where the defense cant recover. When these players are going through a shooting drought it is much harder to score as they don't have that other gear.

Top Bottom