Mason, please stop with the sideways "drift" jump shot.

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Mason, I love your game. But please stop with the sideway drift when you are shooting jump shots on the move. I'm not talking about the floater when you drive the lane to the basket - that is a thing of beauty. I'm talking about the shot right after a great lateral move when you've created space with the defender 10-18 ft from the basket. Last night you took 5-6 shots within 18 ft of the basket that when you went up for the jump shot you didn't go straight up - you were drifting sideways relative to the basket. That is a darn tough shot. You got several of those to go in against Purdue - a night when nearly every shot went in. Last night, you didn't make any of them. Its cool when they go in, but it is not a high percentage shot - its a tough shot to make consistently. I actually think its a lazy shot (not that your lazy), it just takes more energy to get your body under control and go straight up. But the shooting results are undeniable. I know you value my opinion, so there it is.
Go Gophers!

Mason, I love your game. But please stop with the sideway drift when you are shooting jump shots on the move. I'm not talking about the floater when you drive the lane to the basket - that is a thing of beauty. I'm talking about the shot right after a great lateral move when you've created space with the defender 10-18 ft from the basket. Last night you took 5-6 shots within 18 ft of the basket that when you went up for the jump shot you didn't go straight up - you were drifting sideways relative to the basket. That is a darn tough shot. You got several of those to go in against Purdue - a night when nearly every shot went in. Last night, you didn't make any of them. Its cool when they go in, but it is not a high percentage shot - its a tough shot to make consistently. I actually think its a lazy shot (not that your lazy), it just takes more energy to get your body under control and go straight up. But the shooting results are undeniable. I know you value my opinion, so there it is.
Go Gophers!

lol he does those all the time.. can't tell if he is trying to draw a foul or what? maybe he thinks is getting separation by doing it?

Agreed! Also, Jordan Murphy please stop turning the ball over in the last 5 minutes of games. Dupree Mcbrayer please get back to having confidence. Reggie Lynch please stop fouling out. & Bakary Konate please be smarter.

He has been hitting that shot all year. He normally is moving right, but elevates vertically. It's a fantastic shot to have in his arsenal, he just can't get lazy and drift.

also, I love that you addressed the post like Mason was reading it :D

Agreed! Also, Jordan Murphy please stop turning the ball over in the last 5 minutes of games. Dupree Mcbrayer please get back to having confidence. Reggie Lynch please stop fouling out. & Bakary Konate please be smarter.

And team, please keep winning:)

And team, please keep winning:)

+1, I forgot about that haha! In all honestly, it's impressive that we won last night when the only players who played well were Coffey & Springs (with an honorable mention to Reggie). I know it's been discussed on here a bunch, but we have so many guys who can go off on any given night & pick up the slack when others aren't playing well... Let's hope everyone plays well on Wednesday!

It 100% has to do with his defender. He was afraid of getting his shot contested/blocked last night because of the length they had against him, Lyle was a problem. He was more vertical and aggressive to the hole when the smaller defender, Jackson, was on him.

He struggled similarly against Northwestern's length at the guard.

Against Purdue, he elevated relatively straight up and drifted very infrequently because Thompson wasn't a factor in changing his shot.

Absolutely. Also, Murphy, keep rebounding like crazy, Dupree, keep being super disruptive on defense, Reggie, keep improving your offensive moves every game and blocking shots like an NBA player and Bakary, keep bringing energy, defense and a whiff of offense to the floor. Guys like GopherDude thought you wouldn't see the floor this year, so thanks for working your ass off in the weight room and on the court to prove him and others wrong.

Oh, and Nate, keep taking whatever shot you think you can make. You have a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio, shoot 42% from three, shoot 77% from the line and average nearly 34 minutes a game. Plus, you are obviously the team's leader (along with Akeem). Some people don't understand that you may be working on that shot or maybe you just had an off night shooting. I'm ok with that.

Sheesh.

what winsota G said.

you could really tell he was bothered by the defender last night

Was a tough night for him and others last night. Missed quite a fre floaters they normally dont. I dont think it will be a big problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Absolutely. Also, Murphy, keep rebounding like crazy, Dupree, keep being super disruptive on defense, Reggie, keep improving your offensive moves every game and blocking shots like an NBA player and Bakary, keep bringing energy, defense and a whiff of offense to the floor. Guys like GopherDude thought you wouldn't see the floor this year, so thanks for working your ass off in the weight room and on the court to prove him and others wrong.

Oh, and Nate, keep taking whatever shot you think you can make. You have a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio, shoot 42% from three, shoot 77% from the line and average nearly 34 minutes a game. Plus, you are obviously the team's leader (along with Akeem). Some people don't understand that you may be working on that shot or maybe you just had an off night shooting. I'm ok with that.

Sheesh.

Calm down. I didn't say these guys aren't doing great things on the court for us, I'm just pointing out that over the last two games Murph has turned the ball over multiple times with under 5 minutes to go, Dupree has been lacking confidence on the offensive end lately, Reggie is averaging 3.3 PFs per game (6.2 per 40 mins.) & Bakary needs to stop fouling 90 ft. from the basket in additional to getting Ts for slapping the backboard.

You're acting like I just kicked a puppy... I love this team, including Bakary ;), and I love the way they're playing, but there's always things that can be improved upon - I thought those were 4 specific things I've noticed lately. Go Gophers!

OSU did a fantastic job making Mason work his butt off to even get a shot. JaQuan Lyle is a physical specimen, a lot bigger than Mason, and did an exemplary job on him. Forced Mason into mostly difficult, hurried looks.

That stuff happens when you become #1 on teams' scouting report after putting up 31 on Purdue in West Lafayette.

Although last night wasn't Mason's night, you could tell he was off. We didn't lose or get discouraged. Springs was on fire. I just love it so much that we have others and it's not a one man show. Hopefully Nate works out whatever was bugging him last night and is ready for Wednesday.

Who else do you want taking that shot? I want it in Mason's hands every single time.

To me, it's less about who takes the shot and more about that we actually run a play that lets SOMEBODY get a decent shot off.

Sheesh.
Oh, and Richard - thanks for hanging around, working with the team on all things on and off the court, and please do keep making those great hilarious comments.

Can't wait to hear how they'll all reply to our requests.

To me, it's less about who takes the shot and more about that we actually run a play that lets SOMEBODY get a decent shot off.

This.

Having your best player always take the last shot is the dumbest thing in basketball. They get double-teamed and toss up a prayer instead of passing to the open man.

This.

Having your best player always take the last shot is the dumbest thing in basketball. They get double-teamed and toss up a prayer instead of passing to the open man.

And that's what happened at end of overtime against MSU. The designed play was simply: Inbound ball with 10 seconds to go, run down and drive off the Curry screen.

So what happens? Curry attempts to set a screen and Mason tries to drive. Well, Curry broadcast that screen and they easily switched so Nate couldn't drive. Meanwhile the other three players just stayed outside the lane easily covered so now Mason has no pass options...so he fakes a jumper (which would have been blocked without the player covering him even jumping), picks up his dribble, jukes to the left to maybe hopefully pass down low...except nobody has slashed so now his only option before he travels is to jump to the side and that's it.

I'm just pointing out that over the last two games Murph has turned the ball over multiple times with under 5 minutes to go

And, you'd be wrong.

Last five minutes of OSU game Murphy had:
1 turnover
1 missed shot
two made FTs

Last five minutes of NW game Murphy had:
1 turnover
2 rebounds
1-2 FT's
1 blocked shot

(Murphy had a total of 3 turnovers in each game)

In fact, here are the Murphy turnovers the last two games:

vs. OSU:
1:44 left in 2nd H
18:27 left in 2nd H
17:42 left in 1st H

vs. NW:
4:41 left in 2nd H
14:14 left in 2nd H (charging foul)
12:58 left in 2st H (charging foul)

Dear Nate,
Please continue to do what you're doing.
BarnBoy

Our non shooters taking multiple 3's.

I would ask that Murphy and Curry stop putting up three's unless absolutely nesessary. You are not 3 pt shooters, the defense loves you shooting that and they will keep giving it to you. Does not mean you should take it.

Work on it over the summer and maybe next year.

I would ask that Murphy and Curry stop putting up three's unless absolutely nesessary. You are not 3 pt shooters, the defense loves you shooting that and they will keep giving it to you. Does not mean you should take it.

Work on it over the summer and maybe next year.

And lose to Purdue.

You guys are nuts. This isn't a goddamn video game. You can't put handcuffs on kids and tell them don't do this or don't do that. Most of those 3s are in rhythm, part of the offense etc. Good Shots.

False.

Definition of multiple
1: consisting of, including, or involving more than one <multiple births> - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiple

Since he had 2 TOs with under 5 minutes to go over the last two games, he had multiple TOs. In those two games, he's accounted for 40% of the teams TOs with under 5 minutes left.

Dude, you guys are each reading the statement differently. One person is reading it as more than one turnover in the last 5 minutes of a single game and you are reading/meant it as more than one turnover in the last 5 minutes of multiple games combined.

Handcuff's on kids or being smart

I guess we need Lynch out there shooting them with that analogy. How about Bakary? Personal belief that shooters who are stuggling should keep shooting, like Mason was doing. Also believe people who definitely aren't shooters are wide open because the defense doesn't think you can hit it.

Curry's 3 was absolutely necessary as a 3 for 15 3pt shooter. Murphy above the 3pt line is worthless as he cannot make that shot nor can he drive from there without turning it over. He has done great in the high post as of late!

Oh by the way Murphy is 3 for 17.

And lose to Purdue.

You guys are nuts. This isn't a goddamn video game. You can't put handcuffs on kids and tell them don't do this or don't do that. Most of those 3s are in rhythm, part of the offense etc. Good Shots.

I guess we need Lynch out there shooting them with that analogy. How about Bakary? Personal belief that shooters who are stuggling should keep shooting, like Mason was doing. Also believe people who definitely aren't shooters are wide open because the defense doesn't think you can hit it.

Curry's 3 was absolutely necessary as a 3 for 15 3pt shooter. Murphy above the 3pt line is worthless as he cannot make that shot nor can he drive from there without turning it over. He has done great in the high post as of late!

Oh by the way Murphy is 3 for 17.

Non-shooters taking unguarded shots (unguarded by defensive plan) beat the Gophers in Game 1. Tum Tum is not a good shooter and he dropped at least two unguarded threes while Mason was choosing to be on the free throw line. Obviously the plan because he couldn't shoot. He made them and we lost. Purdue did the same with Curry. I'm going to let the coach decide what's in the offense and what is not. Unguarded guys that can make the shot should take the shot. They don't all have to in. Lynch can't make the shot and he's never out there, either. Murph and Curry are.

Top Bottom