What you are getting with Fleck

Broncofan1

Reaction score
Hello Gopher fans, and congratulations. Welcome to the first season of your historic turn from a middling Big10 football program with no national following to speak of, to a Big10 contender with national ranking and respect.

Make no mistake, that is the path you are now on.

It won't be easy. Fleck's style is overwhelming, his energy is unmatched, and his positively forward thinking approach can be off-putting.

Expect alumni players to take offense when Fleck says things like "always looking forward to what we can be, not what we once were". He will implement 'new' traditions. He will scare alumni old-timers who don't like change. He will make the campus community of faculty and staff roll their eyes when he talks of national championships and dynasty.

But, it works. He will first get his locker room on board 100%. Expect current players to leave - his style will rub some the wrong way. Don't worry about it. He's very much like a cult leader in that his players will do anything for him. He will win recruitment. Some are saying he can't recruit with Urban and Harbaugh. Watch him.

Know this: for all his bluster and energy and salesmanship, it is all genuine. He isn't making it up. Recruits eat it up. Plus, he is an ESPN darling, which will also help.

Next will be your student body. They are thirsty for national exposure and exciting football. They will LOVE PJ Fleck.

Be patient if you lose more games next year. Changing to his culture may require a step back. Think of it like drawing a bow/arrow. You may pull back before going forward, but hang on when you do.

I don't know than I can put into words what he did for WMU and the Kalamazoo community. Fleck is a human tornado who changed our culture from a polite little city with a modest approach to the world, to a polite little city with goals on becoming much greater. He turned a usually-good-but-never-great football program into a dominant force in our conference and a feared opponent out of conference. He sends players to the NFL. He put us on the national stage. He brought ESPN to our campus. He took us to a New Year's 6 Bowl.

He left us better than he found us.

Remember that when he leaves you for a Michigan or Notre Dame sometime down the road. He's a midwestern guy, with family in Illinois and Michigan, so I expect he will only leave you for one of the huge midwest positions. But, he will leave you better than he found you.

Have a blast, and good luck!

Broncofan1

PS...and yes, I'm very upset that he is poaching all of our recruits this year. It's part of the game, I know, but it is going to hurt our program moving forward.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Very similar to other takes I've read and seen. I'm so ready for boundless optimism and what the future holds. RTB!

p.s. my wife grew up in Richland and as such the Kalamazoo area holds a special place in my heart. Bell's rocks!

Yay...another lost fan from a program that lost their coach. Almost as much fun as when we hired Tubby.

Thanks for the input! We're all very excited too! Except a few negative nellies. But I know I'll be hoping wmu does well going forward as well. The wmu fans who've found their way over here have been cool good natured people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post Bronco. Best of luck to your squad moving forward. Our two programs are now connected and I hope you guys continue to flourish.

Go Gophers!!

Yay...another lost fan from a program that lost their coach. Almost as much fun as when we hired Tubby.

Almost 90% of the Kentucky fans that came to our board after we hired Tubby said "great guy, but they were ready for him to leave." Seems to be a different tone with these fans.

Go Gophers!!

Hello Gopher fans, and congratulations. Welcome to the first season of your historic turn from a middling Big10 football program with no national following to speak of, to a Big10 contender with national ranking and respect.

It won't be easy. Fleck's style is overwhelming, his energy is unmatched, and his positively forward thinking approach can be off-putting.

Expect alumni players to take offense when Fleck says things like "always looking forward to what we can be, not what we once were". He will implement 'new' traditions. He will scare alumni old-timers who don't like change. He will make the campus community of faculty and staff roll their eyes when he talks of national championships and dynasty.

But, it works. He will first get his locker room on board 100%. Expect current players to leave - his style will rub some the wrong way. Don't worry about it. He's very much like a cult leader in that his players will do anything for him. He will win recruitment. Some are saying he can't recruit with Urban and Harbaugh. Watch him.

Know this: for all his bluster and energy and salesmanship, it is all genuine. He isn't making it up. Recruits eat it up. Plus, he is an ESPN darling, which will also help.

Next will be your student body. They are thirsty for national exposure and exciting football. They will LOVE PJ Fleck.

Be patient if you lose more games next year. Changing to his culture may require a step back. Think of it like drawing a bow/arrow. You may pull back before going forward, but hang on when you do.

I don't know than I can put into words what he did for WMU and the Kalamazoo community. Fleck is a human tornado who changed our culture from a polite little city with a modest approach to the world, to a polite little city with goals on becoming much greater. He turned a usually-good-but-never-great football program into a dominant force in our conference and a feared opponent out of conference. He sends players to the NFL. He put us on the national stage. He brought ESPN to our campus. He took us to a New Year's 6 Bowl.

Remember that when he leaves you for a Michigan or Notre Dame sometime down the road. He's a midwestern guy, with family in Illinois and Michigan, so I expect he will only leave you for one of the huge midwest positions. But, he will leave you better than he found you.

Broncofan1

PS...and yes, I'm very upset that he is poaching all of our recruits this year. It's part of the game, I know, but it is going to hurt our program moving forward.

Another WMU fan stopped by, with class unexpected, and I told him that I'm a WMU fan for life now. You came here and repeated an act of class - good showing for you and for WMU. Should it be the case we live two lives, I'm a fan of WMU for both of them, sir.

Broncofan1

I think youre supposed to let go and do its thing. Hanging on would be ill advised.

Another WMU fan stopped by, with class unexpected, and I told him that I'm a WMU fan for life now. You came here and repeated an act of class - good showing for you and for WMU. Should it be the case we live two lives, I'm a fan of WMU for both of them, sir.

You obviously missed the shots at us... not super classy, yet it's understandable they'd be upset. Want to show some class WMU? Give (not sell) RTB back to who created it and for who it has deep personal meaning. Now THAT would be class!

You obviously missed the shots at us... not super classy, yet it's understandable they'd be upset. Want to show some class WMU? Give (not sell) RTB back to who created it and for who it has deep personal meaning. Now THAT would be class!

You are the only one here who thinks he is not bring classy. WMU fans are acting pretty fairly seeing as we just tool their coach. The melt down this place will have if PJ leaves will be much worse.

You are the only one here who thinks he is not bring classy. WMU fans are acting pretty fairly seeing as we just tool their coach. The melt down this place will have if PJ leaves will be much worse.

Fleck won't ever leave here, as Minnesota is his dream job. He said so.

Winning aside, this has always been my dream. Minnesota has always had a fairly apathetic student body when it comes to sports. Not sure if it's the state's culture, the city's culture or the U's culture, but there is something cultural. When he says he's going to change the culture, this is the first thing I thought of. I've always imagined a huge, crazed student section, like those legendary crowds you hear of from the Bierman era; if that can be realized and that culture created, the program will have arrived. That's the dream.

I just said the shots at us weren't super classy. I'd bet most WMU fans would give PJ RTB for free though, I was calling out the admin on reports they want to SELL RTB to Fleck. THAT is NOT classy but it's not the fans fault at all. (Hey, who are we to talk of classless, crappy admins tho right?)

I just said the shots at us weren't super classy. I'd bet most WMU fans would give PJ RTB for free though, I was calling out the admin on reports they want to SELL RTB to Fleck. THAT is NOT classy but it's not the fans fault at all. (Hey, who are we to talk of classless, crappy admins tho right?)

They only thing that their trademark matters for is the selling of merchandise. Unless Fleck plans on actually selling merchandise, then the matter is really between WMU and the U.

Fleck can say it all of the time. He can yell it on ESPN. That doesn't matter.

They only thing that their trademark matters for is the selling of merchandise. Unless Fleck plans on actually selling merchandise, then the matter is really between WMU and the U.

Fleck can say it all of the time. He can yell it on ESPN. That doesn't matter.

In that case, make your money WMU if you can. Hope it doesn't cost so much it holds the facilities back, then again the U would make it back quick on merchandise they sell.

In that case, make your money WMU if you can. Hope it doesn't cost so much it holds the facilities back, then again the U would make it back quick on merchandise they sell.

It shouldn't cost much money. It's kind of worthless to WMU at this point (they aren't going to keep selling Row the Boat stuff). It's only value is thye know the U probably wants it. However, we can hold out on it, I'd guess is that they'll come to some small agreement.

Broncofan1

If Fleck can do what he says he can, than Minnesota will be a huge Midwest position!!!!

Remember, we are in the B1G with all of the TV revenue and National exposure. If we are competing for the B1G title every few years and playing in the Rose Bowl he will be near the top of the heap in the Midwest. He can build his own legacy at Minnesota, not just be another coach in the shadows of others. Coaches typically don't leave B1G schools for other jobs.

Broncofan1

We're pretty tradition rich, believe it or not, and some of those wont go away. We'll be ok with new ones

But we're not getting rid of Ski U Mah or the Rouser

Another Bronco fan here. I agree with everything that Broncofan1 stated above. PJ is a whirling blast of fresh air, he believes what he says and does it mostly. (Except he said a week ago, he loved Kalamazoo and was staying). If you can keep him you will have fun, he is not an X & O guy, that is true. PJ can unite a group of players and establish a coaching staff like nobody else. PJ will reach out to your fans and community. You are in for a good time. Attendance will increase and your teams will play much better, he is a great motivator. Our teams grade points have increased each year, WMU not only lead the league in wins, but academically a team leading 3.2 average.

Football was so much fun at WMU with PJ Fleck, it takes a while but really worked. From installing a DJ's at games and practices, to installing a "Row the Boat" culture in our whole community, you are getting a great leader. Can you keep him will be your only problem. (When he leaves he will take the recruits that you have committed, even though they were recruited on your schools dollars. Just hope it isn't with only a few weeks away from signing day.)

PJ Fleck was great for Kalamazoo and Western Michigan, good luck, enjoy him while you can.

Winning aside, this has always been my dream. Minnesota has always had a fairly apathetic student body when it comes to sports. Not sure if it's the state's culture, the city's culture or the U's culture, but there is something cultural. When he says he's going to change the culture, this is the first thing I thought of. I've always imagined a huge, crazed student section, like those legendary crowds you hear of from the Bierman era; if that can be realized and that culture created, the program will have arrived. That's the dream.

I'd agree on FB, but that's about it. Almost all the other sports attract health student sections.

[video]http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18085764[/video]

Top Bottom