Why Is Everyone So Excited?

"My heart is pumpin', and my corpuscles are jumpin', baby!" Let's go get a B1G championship!

Honestly the Wacker comparison in regards to enthusiasm is probably a far better one then the Brewster one because like it was with Wacker I get the feeling that Fleck's is authentic. Brewster's was always more of a salesman act.

So if Fleck brings in a Top 25 recruiting class next year, my guess is some idiots will continue to compare him to Brewster, being as Brewster brought in close to a Top 25 class once while here???

It is too easy to compare him to Brewster to not do it. Even if he takes us to the rose bowl I would bet people will still compare him to Brewster. Why is everyone so butt hurt by the comparison?

It is too easy to compare him to Brewster to not do it. Even if he takes us to the rose bowl I would bet people will still compare him to Brewster. Why is everyone so butt hurt by the comparison?

My guess to why people are put off by the comparision is because Fleck had a track record of success before coming here, while Brew didn't (or much of a track record of anything, to be honest). And to many people Brewster's schtick is ultimately equated to losing and a program set adrift. I'm sure fans don't want to think we got another salesman who will do the same thing...at least I don't.

Because outside of the fact that both were positive, which it appears a lot of people here can't stand, the comparison between Fleck and Brewster is a bad one. Brew was way under-qualified and learning how to be a head coach on the job. Fleck has a resume, albeit a short one, to back up that he knows what he is doing as a head coach. Brewster was hired as a cheap fall back option by an administration that did not want to pay to get a coach, Fleck was one of the top names out there and the administrations first choice for the job.

It is a really weak comparison that focuses on only one aspect of the coaches's personality that happens to have some similarity to a joke of a head coach. For that matter, Fleck compares a lot closer to Kill in terms of his background than he does to Brewster.

There's no comparison to Brewster. But I have no problem with people bringing up Brewster quotes because they were funny. And this board needs more funny.

Brewster was a big talker, so is Fleck. Brewster was overly positive and so is Fleck. Brewster had catch phrases, so does Fleck. Brewster was a great recruiter so supposedly is Fleck. Brewster promised Rose Bowls and so is Fleck. Yes Fleck has actual head coaching experience. But there are more similarities than there are differences.

Can't wait to eat my hot chili on my row boat!

Just a comment about attendance figures.

I'm one of those geeks who pays attention to things like attendance figures for many Gopher sports and one thing I've noticed is that rarely do the peaks in attendance occur the year team's performances peak, instead the attendance peaks occur the year AFTER a team's performance peak.

So had Fleck stuck around WMU, the attendance in 2017 probably would have set WMU records. Even with him leaving, he didn't leave the cupboards empty, and the fans will still be excited about the team's chances of doing well this year, If I find the time, I'll try to look up some examples.

Brewster could be upbeat and recruit
Claeys could coach

Fleck can do both (per his record)

How about if we go back to 1984 for some inspiration?

''Playing at home is an advantage only if you win. If you lose , you're better off playing on the road because you have a better chance of getting out of the stadium alive.''

Only quote I could find from his time here and hard to understand without the lisp. Hopefully Fleck has the same impact and success as Holtz did, but sticks around a little longer

LOL. No he hasn't. The MAC dose not equal the B1G. Not even close.

He's probably referring to the fact that Fleck beat Northwestern and Illinois and played Wisconsin pretty tough.

Not really he's beating Big Ten teams with a MAC team.

I believe he was something like 2-7 vs the B1G. Care to laugh at your claim yet? I sure am.

He has done nothing to prove he can coach at this level.

I believe he was something like 2-7 vs the B1G. Care to laugh at your claim yet? I sure am.

He has done nothing to prove he can coach at this level.

Yes PJ Fleck and Tom Herman have both proven nothing at this level. They should bow down to Claeys because they haven't coached a game at a P5 level. What a dumb statement that has no relevance

Yes PJ Fleck and Tom Herman have both proven nothing at this level. They should bow down to Claeys because they haven't coached a game at a P5 level. What a dumb statement that has no relevance

Moving targets again JB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewster was a big talker, so is Fleck. Brewster was overly positive and so is Fleck. Brewster had catch phrases, so does Fleck. Brewster was a great recruiter so supposedly is Fleck. Brewster promised Rose Bowls and so is Fleck. Yes Fleck has actual head coaching experience. But there are more similarities than there are differences.

Can't wait to eat my hot chili on my row boat!

No comparison!!!

Brewster was a tight end and Fleck was a wide receiver.

So sayeth the elite boat rowers.

Ok, I was going to look up VB and hockey attendance figures, etc., but I found plenty of examples looking only at football, so...

Gopher football's BEST seasons throughout the years were

1934-36

But attendance was higher in 1937 than 1936, and it was higher in 1961 & 62 than in 1960, and it was higher in 1968 than in 67, and it was higher in 2000 than 1999, and it was higher in 2004 than in 03, and it was higher in 2015 than 2014.

But not sure how relevant it was, but our 2nd 8+ win season since 1903? ended up being one of our worst attendance seasons.

And for those who need to see the numbers

1934 avg home attendance - 38,584
1935 avg home attendance - 43,557
1936 avg home attendance - 49,531
1937 avg home attendance - 50,833

1960 avg home attendance - 57,033
1961 avg home attendance - 60,322
1962 avg home attendance - 61,367

1967 avg home attendance - 39,633
1968 avg home attendance - 52,134

1999 avg home attendance - 45,441
2000 avg home attendance - 47,352

2003 avg home attendance - 44,148
2004 avg home attendance - 47,573

2014 avg home attendance - 47,865
2015 avg home attendance - 52,355

0. How many has he coached? How many has Tom Herman coached? Flawed argument is flawed.

0 is correct. It is also correct he has coached 0 P5 teams. Which means it is also correct to say he has not proven he can coach at this level.

I doubt you understand the difference so I'll spell it out for you since you continually seem slow. I am not saying there is proof he CAN'T coach at this level. I am just saying there isn't any proof yet that he CAN. For you to argue against that is just plain stupid.

He has beaten P5 teams as a mid major coach.... does that count?

No, obviously it doesn't and it is a joke to try to make that argument unless he has a winning record against P5 teams.

Top Bottom