Well you are in for the ride of your life!

We have a good ball club and good players already...this isn't a rebuilding year...this isn't Kill coming in after Brewster. Hopefully Fleck understand he has a good team and builds it not tear it down. We didn't hire him to go backwards.

Exactly.

Hi Gopher fans,
Well it’s year 3 from my post.
I predicted it and have watched - isn’t the ride great!
We at WMU have been ok but sure miss the days of whipping on the MAC.
You are living the dream and far from peaking. With your facilites and city to sell, PJ will recruit with anyone and stack the program with NFL talent.
These next few seasons will be talked about for years and when Gameday comes to town the electricity will be like your season - unbelievable.
Lock him up now while you can.
RTB from A Gopher fan in Kalamazoo.

Thanks CY77. I just read back through the original posts, and you had it spot on so far. Now hopefully your prediction of BT West title comes true. Remains to be seen, but in the driver's seat for now.
Thanks for your original post and nice to hear from you.

Thank you, CY77.

Your original post is so prophetic; almost unbelievably so.

Hopefully the U of M will do the smart thing and get Coach Fleck locked up.

Hi Gopher fans,
Well it’s year 3 from my post.
I predicted it and have watched - isn’t the ride great!
We at WMU have been ok but sure miss the days of whipping on the MAC.
You are living the dream and far from peaking. With your facilites and city to sell, PJ will recruit with anyone and stack the program with NFL talent.
These next few seasons will be talked about for years and when Gameday comes to town the electricity will be like your season - unbelievable.
Lock him up now while you can.
RTB from A Gopher fan in Kalamazoo.

You are the most accurate poster we have on this forum.
Reading your posts are like reading the future.

Yes thank you CY!I think i missed this thread the first time around but it’s fun to read now.

I remember reading your post the first time and thinking, that would be really cool, but there was 30 years of memories of Gopher ineptitude to consider, my own self doubt having seen so many tragic losses, the revolving door of coaches for what seems my entire adult life and a local media that is callous and counterproductive toward gopher sports banging negativity in my ear the day PJ arrived.

In the past year i have some of my most fond memories of Gopher football while hanging w my long time posse of friends - the drubbing of Purdue last year during a crazy snowy evening, the return of the AXE during an afternoon in a bar w the posse and 300 strangers that reached the heights of pandemonium, and last weeks blistering of Nebraska. Keep it coming PJ and I hope as you suggest our school has the leaders to lock him down. Thanks for the great posts.

Thank you CY77 for the foreboding post! As a long suffering fan, several times in non-conference play, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

It is hard to believe how a visionary hard working charismatic coach can turn a program around. It is finally happening after over a half-century! It is not over yet, and long standing records are already being broken.

I realize it is one game at a time henceforth. Barring injuries, IMHO the Gophers are going to greater heights never seen before. PJ Fleck and company know how to recruit legitimate talent and PJ Fleck knows how to coach the coaches. It is showing in the results. Recruiting is key to success on top of the winning culture that he imbued upon the players, the staff, and the administration.

PJ Fleck is a once in a lifetime hire. The U should do everything in their power to sign him long term. You want a winning program? Do whatever it takes to keep PJ for the rest of his career.

Last edited:

I would expect year 1 you will be a little down.
The culture will take some time to get full buy in. Coach runs at full throttle at all times good or bad.
Some players will struggle with his demands and expectations. There will be no attitude of entitlement allowed. This took time at WMU and you have players with Big Ten talent so he will need time to get everyone understanding the commitment.
The team will be well prepared for each game and you will hear " The ball is the program" non stop.
He runs a 50/50 pass run offense that is built on controlling the clock.

I don't know how the players fit his system but you will have a smart quarterback running the show.
He believes in 1 game seasons so every week is a new season nothing else matters
My guess is 5 or 6 wins due to unknowns but I guarantee nothing less than B10W title in 2 yrs.
Buckle in and enjoy. RTB

Welcome back CY77! You were right on for these items. A consistent approach by the HC on full display from your program to ours.

Really like your point on "a smart QB running the show." We're seeing that in spades.

Sweet.

Thats funny!

Hows this?

I will visit Your board again 3 years from now and post the thread again.

One of the following two scenarios will have played out.

1. Being one of the largest universities in the country with B10 money, you sign him to a long term mega deal and become a nationally recognized football school playing for championships every year. Not B10 west titles but the College Playoffs. Many NFL players will be developed and you become the next Clemson.

2. The administration takes for granted his effect and does not protect their investment now before it is to late. One of the power schools swoops in and gives him a top 5 deal and he is GONE before you know what hit you. You sign a good coach who does all the usual things and fall back into the average B10 team you have been comfortable being.

WMU tried with a 10 year 30 mil deal (which is unbelievable for a MAC school) but still wasn’t enough as he wants the opportunity to win and recruit on the national stage. You have that ability at UM.

Laugh now but you are only in year 3!
Year 4 was the year when everything came together at WMU.

You feel it happening, its infectious and great things will come, or you will look back and say remember that 2019 season with PJ wow what could have been.

At the start of training camp this year PJ’s WMU squad had 11 players on NFL rosters! 8 made teams.

Today we are an average MAC team with a nice ex player coach that just lost to EMU.
Enough said about how it worked out for us.

Enjoy the ride and don't forget PJ is very connected at ESPN. He worked very hard to get Gameday to Kalamazoo.

RTB

Thats funny!

Hows this?

1. Being one of the largest universities in the country with B10 money, you sign him to a long term mega deal and become a nationally recognized football school playing for championships every year. Not B10 west titles but the College Playoffs. Many NFL players will be developed and you become the next Clemson.

2. The administration takes for granted his effect and does not protect their investment now before it is to late. One of the power schools swoops in and gives him a top 5 deal and he is GONE before you know what hit you. You sign a good coach who does all the usual things and fall back into the average B10 team you have been comfortable being.

WMU tried with a 10 year 30 mil deal (which is unbelievable for a MAC school) but still wasn’t enough as he wants the opportunity to win and recruit on the national stage. You have that ability at UM.

You feel it happening, its infectious and great things will come, or you will look back and say remember that 2019 season with PJ wow what could have been.

At the start of training camp this year PJ’s WMU squad had 11 players on NFL rosters! 8 made teams.

Today we are an average MAC team with a nice ex player coach that just lost to EMU.

Enjoy the ride and don't forget PJ is very connected at ESPN. He worked very hard to get Gameday to Kalamazoo.

RTB

If it's infectious, I don't want penicillin...…………….

Thats funny!

Hows this?

RTB

That sounds like fun, but we’ll need an uptick in recruiting very soon to become the next Clemson. Getting to Wisconsin’s level seems very doable, but Clemson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats funny!

Hows this?

RTB

From your lips to God's ears...

Thanks for the generous post ! I truly hope you are correct.

This post is so prophetic....Goosebumps, total goosebumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats funny!

Hows this?

I think our current administration will lean towards option 1 and if that is the case I am all for it. Goes against what we have done traditionally in regards to coaches but this group showed a willingness to buck trends around here by going out and hiring the hot name in coaching in the first place when they went and got Fleck.

He will always rub some people the wrong way but there is no denying the shift in this program over these past 3 years. The amount of exposure he has brought us has been off the charts and the caliber of players he is getting is a definite step up from what we have gotten in the past with plenty of room to continue to improve in that department.

I am cautiously optimistic we will do what needs to be done to keep him here long term. In my opinion, we are the perfect type of program for what Fleck wants to do and have embraced his Row the Boat philosophy 100%. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the years ahead but I am hopeful that if you do wait 3 years to post again we will still have Fleck at the helm when you return to the board.

The only inaccuracy is the owning of MN and WI in recruiting.

Top Bottom