What is the Gopher football/Fleck "buzz factor" in your social circles?

Five of us had season tickets from 06-15. We have a pretty consistent group text always go about Gopher football. After the presser, one of the guys texted, "Who is back in for season tickets?" The first response was, "Tickets? Hell, I'm ready to suit up."
There is much excitement.

Five of us had season tickets from 06-15. We have a pretty consistent group text always go about Gopher football. After the presser, one of the guys texted, "Who is back in for season tickets?" The first response was, "Tickets? Hell, I'm ready to suit up."
There is much excitement.

I had a friend that has been pretty negative about Gopher football and likes to tease some of us about why we like it so much send a text to a group of our friends suggesting that we go to a game together next year.

Fritz Crisler went from Minnesota to Michigan, but I think that's because he was dismissed here.

Crisler wasn't fired from here, and he went to Princeton before ending up at Michigan.

I didn't like the way Claeys was let go, so I'll admit that I might be biased. I'm just not a fan of really loud people who haven't backed it up yet. Nick Saban can talk about being elite because he is. PJ isn't elite. That said, he's made some good hires and the kids seemed to like him. I'm hopeful, but cautious. There do seem to be a lot of PJ groupies here.

About 7 of us have long text strings back and forth about gopher sports. We had a long one as they were looking for a coach. It's usually the same theme in all our texts, a couple of us bleed. We'd be optimistic, we'd drink the new kool aid. A few would be hopeful, and a couple would wonder why we don't cheer for st Thomas or hire mike grant or just not have sports at the u.

We've been through about 7 hires together. This is easily the most excited the collective has been. We're getting well past our primes, so we're more logical now. More realistic. So, it is funny to me how easily we grown men have been swayed back onto the bandwagon. Row the damn boat I say, row the damn boat.

Crisler wasn't fired from here, and he went to Princeton before ending up at Michigan.

Wasn't fired, but didn't the powerful people in town basically force him out? I remember hearing that his original hiring was fought hard and he almost didn't come here in the first place.

I am on a couple of group chains, and everyone seems very excited.

I also was not a fan of the way Claeys was let go...and was ready to give up my season tickets. I am reconsidering and am also part of a fairly active Text group with a 'flipped recruit' count going.

I'm just not a fan of really loud people who haven't backed it up yet. Nick Saban can talk about being elite because he is. PJ isn't elite.
It's an attitude. A mindset.

He's not calling himself the best coach in the country.

I didn't like the way Claeys was let go, so I'll admit that I might be biased. I'm just not a fan of really loud people who haven't backed it up yet. Nick Saban can talk about being elite because he is. PJ isn't elite. That said, he's made some good hires and the kids seemed to like him. I'm hopeful, but cautious. There do seem to be a lot of PJ groupies here.

You crack me up sometimes.

Northern Minnesota, Fargo area very excited for this hire. Kill, claeys never gave you a real sense of " hell ya, we got this win" in my opinion Fleck makes you feel like you can win. It's a culture, I've seen it at NDSU and it can happen at Minnesota ! Our group left camp Randall disgusted this year

There is zero buzz factor at my work. Most are more concerned with the extinction of mankind during the Trump years. They have no sense of importance. [emoji41]

The chili is quite hot in my circle of idiots.

A very close friend of mine who bleeds Orange and Blue for Auburn texted me when he heard the news to send congrats. (Like I had something to do with it) In reality I think it is a, "Damn, Minnesota got Fleck?" moment for a lot of people. That sort of buzz is all good IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That definitely seems to be the National perception. Locally I have had people who were really casual fans wanting to know what I make of Fleck, they didn't have this same curiosity when Kill or Claeys was hired. This coaching hire is generating a ton of buzz around the program in ways we haven't really seen around here in the past. Could all crash and burn but right now we are getting a lot of positive attention which is great considering the run of negative stuff we have been dealing with of late.

Friends who know I go to Gopher football games have asked me who otherwise never ask me.

But then again it is about 50/50 about the incident / Fleck.

Wasn't fired, but didn't the powerful people in town basically force him out? I remember hearing that his original hiring was fought hard and he almost didn't come here in the first place.

That's what I'd read too somewhere. Crisler had done well here, but the crazed Minnesota football fan base wanted more.

Only one I recall in my lifetime was Alex Agase going from Northwestern to Purdue in 1973. Damn....I am too old.

Agase was destined to leave once QB Maurie Daigneau graduated (I kid. I kid.). But seriously, no one seems to remember Maurie, but he was one of the best athletes to come out of Southern Minnesota in the 1960s.

Back to the OP. There's a LOT of buzz in the general community. One of my daughter's former teammates who now goes to Mankato State asked me about it and her eyes were bulging out in excitement. Even for non U-goers, there's a sense of pride in the state's Division 1 Big Ten school, and most everyone would like to see them do well. I've generally soft-peddled it, saying I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but even when I've done so, there's a look of fear in the eyes of the Badger fans I know, and that's fun to see.

A co-worker of mine has a vote for the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award. He asked me who I thought he should vote for, and my response:

"Row The Boat."

So, Fleck will be getting at least one first-place vote (he gave Colorado's Mike MacIntyre his second-place vote).

There is tremendous buzz for Gopher sports right now. Obviously all my rube alumni friends are jacked about fleck, but causal sports fan guys and non-U grads have taken notice. The only thing that I see taking some of wind out of the momentum sails for Fleck are a resurgent Gophers Hoops team. About 3 more wins and peeps are going to start getting really really excited about the hoops team #NCAA #SkiUMah #RTB!!!

Back to the OP. There's a LOT of buzz in the general community. One of my daughter's former teammates who now goes to Mankato State asked me about it and her eyes were bulging out in excitement. Even for non U-goers, there's a sense of pride in the state's Division 1 Big Ten school, and most everyone would like to see them do well. I've generally soft-peddled it, saying I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but even when I've done so, there's a look of fear in the eyes of the Badger fans I know, and that's fun to see.
LOL, you mistake fear for drunken stupor. [emoji12] [emoji482]

The Minnesota Club out here in Arizona pretty excited. Last year no one talked about Gopher Football. Last Monday at a Pizza Social it was really being buzzed. Yesterday at the workout center there wasa Western Michigan alumnus who saw my Gopher tt-shirt. He said: " He's the real deal and you guys got a gem. He made our school so much better."

Top Bottom