What is the Gopher football/Fleck "buzz factor" in your social circles?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you are like me, you are the "Gopher guy/gal" in your social circle/family. You know, the one that people call and text to get your perspective on the latest big game, scandal, big news, etc. I'm curious how many people have reached out to you in the last 24 hours to talk Fleckamania.

My phone has been buzzing with texts and calls.

A buddy from college is part of a high level booster family for Ohio State athletics. He said he was shocked we were able to hire Fleck. He said many of his OSU booster buddies have had their eye on Fleck thinking he would be Urban Meyer's replacement in a few years (I sheepishly said that could very well be the case).

Another buddy from college who lives in the heart of SEC country now said for the first time the average SEC fan will instantly know who our head coach is.

I have heard from a number of wisconsin friends who all resigned to the fact that we made a good hire. One said "finally the rivalry is game on."

Two uncles called this morning to talk about the flipped recruits. These uncles are slightly more than casual Gopher fans, but never before have they called to talk recruiting!

Yesterday at work it was a steady steam of colleagues stopping by to talk Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

My wife is a corn-fed Iowa City girl, she heard the presser speech and flipped to the Gophers

Yes, lots of texts and calls. Most common response: Fleck sounds awesome, just hope he's not Brewster 2.0

CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM

The best we can hope for considering the incredible rift in the fanbase and all other stakeholders over the last 8 weeks.

My wife is a corn-fed Iowa City girl, she heard the presser speech and flipped to the Gophers

My wife heard the presser while I was watching, came downstairs and said she wanted to play for Fleck....she is from Eastern Wisconsin....

I don't remember a HC from the B10 taking the same job at another B10 school- does anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember a HC from the B10 taking the same job at another B10 school- does anyone?

Glen did his best. He tried hard, very hard.

Go Gophers!!

Good point BG!!

Where'd u pull that out dpo!! Coached both ball and football at some places!

A very close friend of mine who bleeds Orange and Blue for Auburn texted me when he heard the news to send congrats. (Like I had something to do with it) In reality I think it is a, "Damn, Minnesota got Fleck?" moment for a lot of people. That sort of buzz is all good IMO.

Pretty different responses, depending on whether they are Minnesotans or not. Locals, especially even lukewarm Gopher fans, generally play the cautious optimism card. "He sounds great but we've heard it before. I hope he's as good as he sounds." Then you get people from anywhere else in the country, who are not affiliated with the state of MN or the U. Those comments have been 100% positive. More along the lines of... "you guys actually got him?"

Only one I recall in my lifetime was Alex Agase going from Northwestern to Purdue in 1973. Damn....I am too old.

Wes Fesler

More recent was the move of Johnny Pont from Indiana to Northwestern in the 1970's. To put it in context, Northwestern was horrible and desperate to find a decent coach while Pont was a NU alum and had pretty much worn out his welcome at Indiana. Indiana was amenable to the change.

Wes Fesler was before my time but in looking back at previous records, etc., I have also felt that Ohio State was amenable to their change as well.

Never for a second when Glen Mason was looking at Michigan State or Ohio State did I think he had a chance. I have long held the belief that there is an unwritten understanding that one Big 10 school will not build their football or basketball program by tearing down another Big 10 program.

Long live the Big 10.

More recent was the move of Johnny Pont from Indiana to Northwestern in the 1970's. To put it in context, Northwestern was horrible and desperate to find a decent coach while Pont was a NU alum and had pretty much worn out his welcome at Indiana. Indiana was amenable to the change.

Wes Fesler was before my time but in looking back at previous records, etc., I have also felt that Ohio State was amenable to their change as well.

Never for a second when Glen Mason was looking at Michigan State or Ohio State did I think he had a chance. I have long held the belief that there is an unwritten understanding that one Big 10 school will not build their football or basketball program by tearing down another Big 10 program.

Long live the Big 10.

1973, Agase moves from Northwestern to Purdue and Pont goes from Indiana to Northwestern.
You have a good memory.

Buzz is good. People have been asking Gopher Football questions about Football.

1. My mom called last night to express how excited she is. That has never happened and she loves Gopher Football. I can see casual fans buying in big time, she even asked about buying season tickets! 2. I was in Costco today (Sioux Falls) and saw a ton of Gopher gear, literally at least 50 people (granted it was a busy place today). I even struck up a conversation with a gentleman wearing an M cap from Austin, MN. He was excited but dissapointed he gave up season tickets before last season because of the 3 year plan of price hikes. He was very interested in buying back in. In all, after just one day of the hiring, I would say the excitement level is Cheech & Chong high! And I'm in husker country.

I live in the heart of SEC country. I highly doubt the average SEC fan that lives in this area knows or cares. To most of them, the Big Ten doesn't exist. At least as far as football is concerned. I haven't heard a peep from anyone about it. However, it did snow about an inch yesterday. Which means the entire metro area is shut down. So, that may have something to do with the lack of buzz in the ATL.

My friends at work wanted to know who she was. ?

Your first paragraph perfectly describes me. I am the "Gopher guy" in my circle of friends. People are excited. This should be a very interesting ride.

My buddy who is a big Florida fan/alum asked me why Minnesota is such a cesspool with all the drugs and sex stuff. My response was that during the 9 months of winter there isn't much else to do. He nodded like that made sense to him.

More interest / excitement in my social (and work) circle than ever before. My badger co-workers and very unhappy with the hire, which reinforces my opinion that is was an outstanding hire!

My buddy who is a big Florida fan/alum asked me why Minnesota is such a cesspool with all the drugs and sex stuff. My response was that during the 9 months of winter there isn't much else to do. He nodded like that made sense to him.
We don't have really good fixers, like the Gators do.

My sister and her hair dresser watched the press conference. After they got done watching both started laughing saying they wanted to suit up and play for coach Fleck. People I never heard bring up Gopher football are bringing it up to me! SKI U MAH!!!

Not true.

Wait, Minnesota is a cesspool? None of this stuff happens at other universities, caught or not? Ridiculous.

Other than Minnesota fans, hardly anybody knows our deepest darkest problems, just like we don't know theirs - because we pay attention to our own and not theirs. The only reason this ended up being a big thing on the national stage - just like Gangelhoff - was because (1) it was reported and (2) there was a significant counter-action (and then reaction, and more reaction). In other places, either (1) or (2) or both do not occur for similar transgressions, like it or not.

If PJ is honest, he will be taking on more kids of higher integrity, and if so, these problems should lessen here. We'll see.

Fritz Crisler went from Minnesota to Michigan, but I think that's because he was dismissed here.

Top Bottom