PJ Fleck and our Trophy Games

fmlizard

Reaction score
I didn't hear Coach Fleck mention our trophy games at all during the press events today - no Axe, Pig, Jug, etc. While talk of national championships is great, we ain't winning one without winning those important games first.

Once he does his research into Gopher lore...holy crap, will PJ Fleck ever beat the heck out of those games! More than really anything else they form the core of modern Gopher tradition and Coach Fleck loves him some corny motivational and traditional symbols.

I expect the Pig and Axe to take on an even more heightened importance in the new era. I expect the $5 Chair found or rebuilt! Let's hope they are finally won back.

They didn't really talk football.

We did provide the people who write the fortune in fortune cookies some matierial though!

Maybe we have set our goals too low...winning trophy games. National championships would be nice would it not? Question: Win a National Championship with one loss...to Wisc. Could we stomach that?

He's got to start winning these on a regular basis. Must.

It's a pretty simple language to decode for success and winning,

The formula "PIG"+ "AXE"+"Chair" in the West, with an occasional JUG match up.

Win those and you will likely find yourself in Indianapolis Indiana in November.

Two keys to going to Indianapolis every year. Beat the Hawkeyes for the Pig, and the WHO HATES IOWA chants(This is not literal hate but it is a traditional cheer since at least 1998". # Floyd # Lost pig

Beating the Badgers is important but it has become kind of a distant memory. Yes we play the Badgers for the AXE "Have not seen since 1993" and we chant "Better dead than Red". "F the Badgers that one the administration probably wants to die and go away.
He will need to find a way to keep Badger scum out of the stadium although it is always tough to keep the Badger horde out since so many of them live here now. We have extreme dislike for Wisconsin that does pretty much border on the actual phsychology of hate.
There are too many Badger fans that infest the Twin Cities, they have spread like a disease.

We play Michigan for the Little Brown Jug. We have a more recent history of beating MEAT CHIKEN than we do the Badgers. Should have beat them for sure in 2015. Brown water Jug been around forever "1913" I believe, and it would be nice to beat Kahki man glasses Mc******y, as he steals recruits from us.

We play Nebraska for the "Broken chair" trophy. The administrations hate it because the fans created the trophy and there is a fake twitter account of Bo Pellini connected to that one. I think Nebraska and Minnesota administrations want this one to die. To me they are still rivals and as long as Goldy and that Husker Inflatable dude exchange a chair we still play them as a rival.

The Victory Bell. Penn State stole it back this year. We were the first team to Play Penn State in the Big 10 so the conference decided that we needed a rivalry trophy with them. Gophers broke this cheap trophy when they last won it in 2013 I believe. Yep that one slipped away in the Big 10 opener this year, because we forgot that we were tough and actually kicking Penn States ass at one point during the third quarter. That damn McSorely killed us in the final minute, to many backs turned to the QB.
Victory Bell is meaningless and a lot of us Gopher fans would like to see it retired.

What am I missing, year after year we want to beat the Hawkeyes, for the PIG the "Floyd of Rosedale" he is heavy bronze pig weighs almost about 100 pounds. Floyd should have been staying in Minneapolis this year, but the Hawks smuggled and cheated "Targeting to the QB's chin" out of Minneapolis We owe them one in Iowa City nexy year.

With his handsome salary, his two primary expectations have to be creating an identity for the program and occasionally winning the B10 west.

Gopherdudepart2 spent an eternity typing a post that can be found in Wikipedia in 11 seconds.

Handsome salary? You mean middle of the big ten salary. Not saying he shouldn't compete in the B1G West but he isn't making Harbaugh money...yet

While we're talking about trophies, our trophy rivals are talking about championships.

Aim for championships and the trophies will come.

Gopherdudepart2 spent an eternity typing a post that can be found in Wikipedia in 11 seconds.

Handsome salary? You mean middle of the big ten salary. Not saying he shouldn't compete in the B1G West but he isn't making Harbaugh money...yet

Great point. His 6th out of 14 in the B10, over 2x what the previous coach made, and about 4x what he previously made salary should come with the expectation of culture change and occasional B10 West superiority. I've removed all subjectivity in the descriptors of his salary so we can be in agreement on his expectations.

Top Bottom