Fleck Press Conference Thread

Layers always work well during the dark months of Minnesota winters. I like sweatshirts, sweatpants, sweat t-shirts, sweat underpants. Very warm. Believe me.
I hear you. Layer, layer, layer....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It is a shift because there's a new staff. Not a rebuild, I agree, but a shift. To think that will take no time is a folly in my opinion. You sound salty that Claeys is gone in the first place and not rational about the path forward with a new staff.

I'm being completely rational. The U just paid $3.5 M a year to a coach with a national presence who just won 13 games and had his team in the Cotton Bowl.

A little salty, maybe, because I think it's funny that the posters who feel he is a home run have now suddenly gotten pretty conservative on near term expectations now that he's in the door. The things they all brought up as to why they wanted him somehow now are not the same reasons we should have expectations that the program will at least maintain next year and then get better from that point on.

I'm reserving judgment on expectations for next year until I see what happens in the next week or two with the 10 suspended players, possible transfers, etc. Impossible to tell what kind of team you're looking at until that all shakes out.

We did win the bowl game without them.

I'm being completely rational. The U just paid $3.5 M a year to a coach with a national presence who just won 13 games and had his team in the Cotton Bowl.

A little salty, maybe, because I think it's funny that the posters who feel he is a home run have now suddenly gotten pretty conservative on near term expectations now that he's in the door. The things they all brought up as to why they wanted him somehow now are not the same reasons we should have expectations that the program will at least maintain next year and then get better from that point on.

I guess I'm just saying that coaching changes are wonky more often than not in the first year. WMU declined from four to one win in his first season. Then they got 8.

Near term for me after a coaching change is 2 years. There is a learning curve and to act like - even if we think he's a home run - there won't be with him is potentially doing him and our program and our players a disservice.

" My wife has the biggest ............heart." Thank god he didn't slip up on that one.

Quit your damn pouting and stop being ridiculous. Please provide all these examples. Also, let's at least give him time to locate a scholarship worthy QB. We get it, you don't get to get on your knees for Sumlin. Move on...

Quit your damn pouting and stop being ridiculous. Please provide all these examples. Also, let's at least give him time to locate a scholarship worthy QB. We get it, you don't get to get on your knees for Sumlin. Move on...

We already have one.

I think you're sort of missing the point. The point Fleck was trying to make was that football players are going to be known in a positive light around campus. I for one love the idea of making players sit in the front row of class and dressing somewhat nicely. Believe it or not, but professors notice that kind of stuff and more importantly, students notice that kind of stuff. My fraternity strongly suggests we sit in the front row in every class and a byproduct of that has been i have gotten to know everyone of my professors because I am forced to being that close in proximity. If you want students to care about this program, then players need to be likable. Half of the people that I know that never attend games have a perception that all players are jerks who cheat and don't try in class.

I didn't catch this part of the press conference but I get it if that's what he wants to institute. I've said it before during this fiasco, but I am tired of the us versus them atmosphere that seems to exist between the football team and the rest of the university. If this gets the whole university community pulling together, it's a good idea.

Of course, I could just be crazy.

Pete Thamel from SI just gave an interview on KFAN that made me want to run through a wall. EXTREMELY complimentary of Fleck.

I heard that interview also. Thamel covers college football and knows the landscape really well. Has spent days watching Fleck coach and recruit, and I couldn't believe how positive he was. He made the point he's been a national writer covering college football for 15 years, and he had never felt the need to go to Minnesota because we just weren't on the radar. He said that changed today.

I didn't catch this part of the press conference but I get it if that's what he wants to institute. I've said it before during this fiasco, but I am tired of the us versus them atmosphere that seems to exist between the football team and the rest of the university. If this gets the whole university community pulling together, it's a good idea.

Of course, I could just be crazy.

You may have to bulldoze Morrill Hall for that to happen.

Did anyone notice Fleck called on the local sports reporters to cover the team in a positive way or did I mis hear that?

Did anyone notice Fleck called on the local sports reporters to cover the team in a positive way or did I mis hear that?

I don't think he quite said it that way. He told them he'll give them so much to write about they won't have to spend time sniffing around for crumbs and scandals.

But yeah, I thought it was hilarious he said, "Everyone in this room has a job to do! Media, you've got a job to do!"

Pretty much. He said it, but didn't he also say he was gonna give them many quotes and many positives to cover?

I don't think he quite said it that way. He told them he'll give them so much to write about they won't have to spend time sniffing around for crumbs and scandals.

But yeah, I thought it was hilarious he said, "Everyone in this room has a job to do! Media, you've got a job to do!"

That was it! Thank you!

The best comment for me was when Fleck said that Jim Tressel told him to treat the job like he was going to be there forever. If only some of our previous coaches had that attitude.

Heard the Barreiro interview with Pete Thamel too (from SI).

If you can believe it he was more convincing than Coach Fleck on what the future holds for Gopher Nation (couldn't resist with all the Brewster comparisons).

It's not up on KFAN on Demand yet but well worth the listen. Here's the SI web update on the hire: http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/01/06/pj-fleck-minnesota-golden-gophers-coach

Here's the original SI article:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/24/western-michigans-pj-fleck-ushering-new-coaching-style

Go Gophers!

Someone needs to tell PJF that we don't say Ski-U-Mah here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone needs to tell PJF that we don't say Ski-U-Mah here.

It's gonna make a comeback.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wow! Drink the cocaine-laced Koolaide and strap your big boy pants on for a ride!

Yeah, this may work.

As I listened to his delivery, it reminded me of someone else. And then it hit me. Jim Rome.

I am exhausted after listening to this man speak.

I heard that interview also. Thamel covers college football and knows the landscape really well. Has spent days watching Fleck coach and recruit, and I couldn't believe how positive he was. He made the point he's been a national writer covering college football for 15 years, and he had never felt the need to go to Minnesota because we just weren't on the radar. He said that changed today.

Sonyou're saying we might finally get that chance at College Game Day?

Top Bottom