Fleck's 1st interview - Ski-U-Mah meets Row The Boat

GopherLady

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have been thinking about a new slogan for Fleck since WMU owns "Row The Boat". I am going to toss in "Fill The Bank"

It can play on multiple levels. 1. Filling "TCF stadium". Creating an excitement around the program to pack the place. 2. Putting in "Work" each and every day to grow and earn your paycheck. Investing in yourselves to create a strong foundation to live upon 3. Making the Withdrawal i.e. filling up your bank account so you can make a large withdrawal i.e. a trip to Indy & eventually Rose Bowl.

Excellent!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks Nadine! PJ has to be the perfect guy to transition the mess administration created. I'm optimistic we are going to move forward in an upward arc and build on the bowl win and our 9 and 4 season!!!

Did he say he was blessed to have gotten the job??

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we just reinterpret Ski-U-Mah to mean "Row the Boat?" #SUM #Ski-U-Mah

"You didn't pick me, but I picked you."

got damn this dude is really hitting the ground running.

Nadine, you should have gotten the first interview. You work harder than those old media types, and have access to the people this guy should care about: the diehards. PR mistake number one!

This famous Minnesota phrase Ski-U-Mah (pronounced SKY-YOU-MAH) is more than 115 years old. In 1884, two Minnesota rowing team members, John W. Adams and Win Sargent, tried to think of a fitting team yell. They used the word “Ski”, a Sioux battle cry meaning row, and combined it with “U-Mah” (representing the "the boat" and rhyming with “rah-rah-rah”) to create a team cheer. The phrase stuck and was incorporated into both official school songs, “Hail Minnesota” and more commonly in the “Minnesota Rouser.”

Even gets the tie and handkerchief colors right. Wow! I didn't realize how bad Claeys was as a face of the football team until I put his interviews next to this one. Fleck gets it...he knows what to say. I particularly loved the "the guys didn't pick me but I picked them." Words matter.

This famous Minnesota phrase Ski-U-Mah (pronounced SKY-YOU-MAH) is more than 115 years old. In 1884, two Minnesota rowing team members, John W. Adams and Win Sargent, tried to think of a fitting team yell. They used the word “Ski”, a Sioux battle cry meaning row, and combined it with “U-Mah” (representing the "the boat" and rhyming with “rah-rah-rah”) to create a team cheer. The phrase stuck and was incorporated into both official school songs, “Hail Minnesota” and more commonly in the “Minnesota Rouser.”

:clap:

Nadine, you should have gotten the first interview. You work harder than those old media types, and have access to the people this guy should care about: the diehards. PR mistake number one!

Didn't work hard enough to get to Flying Cloud like dpodell and I

Could there be a more stark contrast between Tracy Claeys and PJ Fleck?! Wow. This is nothing like listening to Jerry Kill or Tracy Claeys. Nothing. Not saying it's good or bad, but man what a difference.

He's a good hire and a great interview. But I just caution that we can't be content to win the press conference. Rip on Kill/Claeys styles all you want but they won 8 or more games here 3 times in last 4 years. That's more successful than anyone recently.

I'm anxious to see what happens next season.

Ok - the Gophers have a shiny new toy, and everyone is excited.

I hope it works out. I hope Fleck is successful.

but, please - please - please - let's not forget how we got here.

Let's not forget that the Gopher AD is at best a terrible communicator, and at worst is a bald-faced liar.

Let's not forget that some good people and good coaches lost their jobs.

Let's not forget that 10 Gopher athletes are suspended - some likely for good reason - but some quite possibly for no good reason - and they are forced to appeal their suspensions just for their cases to be heard before a (hopefully) impartial panel.

let's not forget how we got here.

Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Don't know if you heard, but this was blaring in the WMU football locker room this morning:

Ever since our voyage of love began
Your touch has thrilled me like the rush of the wind
And your arms have held me safe from a rolling sea
There's always been a quiet place to harbor you and me

Our love is like a ship on the ocean
We've been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion
So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

, don't rock the boat baby
(Rock the boat), don't tip the boat over
(Rock the boat), don't rock the boat baby
(Rock the boat)

Up to now we sailed through every storm
And I've always had your tender lips to keep me warm
Oh, I need to have the strength that flows from you
Don't let me drift away my dear, when love can see me through
(Our love is like a ship on the ocean)

We've been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion
(To rock the boat), don't rock the boat baby
(Rock the boat), don't rock the boat, baby

ooh-ooh
(Rock the boat) rock on with you, baby
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)
(Rock the boat)

Looks like Fleck really has done his homework already on U traditions. There is a tie-in here. Ski-U was the cheer heard at Sioux canoe races, according to Wikipedia. Mah was added later.

Ok - the Gophers have a shiny new toy, and everyone is excited.

I hope it works out. I hope Fleck is successful.

but, please - please - please - let's not forget how we got here.

Let's not forget that the Gopher AD is at best a terrible communicator, and at worst is a bald-faced liar.

Let's not forget that some good people and good coaches lost their jobs.

Let's not forget that 10 Gopher athletes are suspended - some likely for good reason - but some quite possibly for no good reason - and they are forced to appeal their suspensions just for their cases to be heard before a (hopefully) impartial panel.

let's not forget how we got here.

Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Why not? We don't decide to fire coaches and it's not us that is going to "repeat" anything.

I support my University and I'm glad there is renewed energy in the program. Let us be happy that we just inked a highly sought-after candidate. We all use this team as a fun escape from our stressful lives. Why prolong the stress? Are you going to have this black cloud hang over everything for Fleck's entire tenure?

Your post is a bit dramatic.

Hey! Fleck's been being doing Ski-U-Mah (English translation) all along.

He must have been telegraphing the Gophers job for a while.

Fleck is who he is. Claeys is who he is. We can be excited about Fleck without denegrating Claeys. They are two different people.
Tracy is basically a soft-spoken, no-nonsense football guy who was (yes) successful as a head coach. Fleck is a fired-up sort of
guy who is (yes) a successful head coach. Its possible to actually like them both!

I have been thinking about a new slogan for Fleck since WMU owns "Row The Boat". I am going to toss in "Fill The Bank"

It can play on multiple levels. 1. Filling "TCF stadium". Creating an excitement around the program to pack the place. 2. Putting in "Work" each and every day to grow and earn your paycheck. Investing in yourselves to create a strong foundation to live upon 3. Making the Withdrawal i.e. filling up your bank account so you can make a large withdrawal i.e. a trip to Indy & eventually Rose Bowl.

Banks charge usery fees and pay no meaningful interest on deposits. Banks serve only themselves at the expense of clients. Please!...choose another analogy.:mad:

Banks charge usery fees and pay no meaningful interest on deposits. Banks serve only themselves at the expense of clients. Please!...choose another analogy.:mad:

There are banks that charge no fees. Also interest is trash because fed rates are so low. Why would they give away money?

You clearly don't have much of a basic economic understanding.

Very, very creative and funny. Great job!

Nooooo!!! That stinks! Are you in marketing at TCF?

Top Bottom