Mark Coyle, Jedi Master?

Don't forget the part where someone in the U leaked a rumor that Miles was here last night to pressure Fleck to sign.
I'm hearing now that Miles was at his daughter's basketball game last night.

Don't forget the part where someone in the U leaked a rumor that Miles was here last night to pressure Fleck to sign.

latest

That's good negotiating!

No. I'm arguing he handled the scandal well given the situation. The EOAA report, the recruit, the boycott, all were very bad situations. I'm arguing this ended about as well as it could have for those involved. Coyle appears to have made a bad situation better. I imagine Maturi or Teague making it worse.

Yes I will agree with this paragraph. I believe he still bears responsibility for the sep 2 incident getting to boycott, but he really did a fine job of fixing the mess.

Read the Gaelin Elmore interview on the Pioneer Press. Coyle took a bad situation and made it worse. At best, he is a terrible communicator. At worst, he is a liar.

Coyle got up at the Claeys firing press conference and said the decision was not made until after the bowl game.

So, if you believe that, then you have to believe that Coyle and his staff - after firing Claeys on Tuesday- managed to arrange the following in one day - set up trip to Chicago with Kaler to meet with Fleck's representatives - set up trip for Les Miles to Mpls and make flight arrangements - meet with Fleck's people - meet with Miles - and they set all that up in one day. Horse Bleep!

Coyle had made up his mind to fire Claeys long before the Tuesday Press Conference - then got up and basically lied when he talked about "waiting till emotions died down to make the decision." Jerry Kill said that Coyle (or someone in his office) was contacting coaching candidates before Claeys was fired - and I believe him. Unless Coyle and his staff are miracle workers - or have super speed - the Fleck hiring was set in motion before the press conference - and Coyle was - at the very least - being disingenuous during that press conference.

Fleck may turn out to be a good hire - but we sure took a crooked road to get to this place. And I, for one, am not going to forgive and forget when it comes to Coyle and Kaler.

It's very difficult to get rid of someone that wins 9 games with an impressive bowl victory but Tracy Claeys was never going to be the head coach beyond 2016. As a fan, Tracy Claeys was a solid X's and O's defensive mind and a great person but he just never seemed to be head coach material when it comes to the face of your program, especially at the Division I level. Kill and Claeys helped re-build the program, now it's up to Fleck to take the program to the next level and generate some excitement. Sure Claeys won 9 games, but he should have won 10 or 11 games with that schedule this year.

Geez I get tired of this "should have won 10 or 11 games" tripe. It was one of the few things I took issue with on a nice post by Galty a few days ago. Who says we should have won that many games?? I went back and looked at every major publication, every available prediction site (except GH) and the Las Vegas boards and NOONE predicted any better than 7-5 for our Gophers with the great majority predicting 6-6. Sure Coach Claeys hoped for 10 wins but what coach doesn't try and encourage and motivate his guys with lofty expectations? If PJ comes out and says we should be 9-4 this year are YOU going to hold him to that even if Vegas and the pundits all predict 6-6 for us (at best)?

Read the Gaelin Elmore interview on the Pioneer Press. Coyle took a bad situation and made it worse. At best, he is a terrible communicator. At worst, he is a liar.

Coyle got up at the Claeys firing press conference and said the decision was not made until after the bowl game.

So, if you believe that, then you have to believe that Coyle and his staff - after firing Claeys on Tuesday- managed to arrange the following in one day - set up trip to Chicago with Kaler to meet with Fleck's representatives - set up trip for Les Miles to Mpls and make flight arrangements - meet with Fleck's people - meet with Miles - and they set all that up in one day. Horse Bleep!

Coyle had made up his mind to fire Claeys long before the Tuesday Press Conference - then got up and basically lied when he talked about "waiting till emotions died down to make the decision." Jerry Kill said that Coyle (or someone in his office) was contacting coaching candidates before Claeys was fired - and I believe him. Unless Coyle and his staff are miracle workers - or have super speed - the Fleck hiring was set in motion before the press conference - and Coyle was - at the very least - being disingenuous during that press conference.

Fleck may turn out to be a good hire - but we sure took a crooked road to get to this place. And I, for one, am not going to forgive and forget when it comes to Coyle and Kaler.

If someone is obviously lying, is it really that deceptive?

I agree whole-heartedly SON although I wouldn't even give him the benefit of the doubt about being disingenuous. He flat out lied while speaking out of the other side of his mouth about honesty and virtue. Bull Sh1t.

I would not be surprised it it was coyle that leaked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Wow we are getting into some House of Cards type of alleged behavior here.
Highly doubtful though with how quickly the local sports media and Lee Hutton are to jump over the Gophers and Coyle and Kaler, I don't think there is a chance in he// that wouldn't have been reported (Coyle or U leaking).

No. I'm arguing he handled the scandal well given the situation. The EOAA report, the recruit, the boycott, all were very bad situations. I'm arguing this ended about as well as it could have for those involved. Coyle appears to have made a bad situation better. I imagine Maturi or Teague making it worse.

Ended as well as it could for those involved?

1 poor kid having intimate details of her experience posted across the press
10 others, 5 of whom were not there (?) being pictured and branded as rapists by some whilst student confidentiality quoted left right and centre.
Likely court cases against the U
A team boycotting football activities
Protest rallies
Online petitions on both sides
Legislature threatening to withdraw money from the University
Regent likening us to Baylor or Penn State.

The Fleck appointment is a great hire, Coyle cannot be blamed for a lot of the above, but, even if he is not the one most at fault, this could have ended (it is not over yet) a lot better for many of those involved with better management/communication/honesty from the AD.

Obviously within our rights to disagree about that.

Yeah, I mean, who has ever drummed up false interest to help with leverage.

If that impresses you, you are in for an exciting life my friend.

Ended as well as it could for those involved?

1 poor kid having intimate details of her experience posted across the press
10 others, 5 of whom were not there (?) being pictured and branded as rapists by some whilst student confidentiality quoted left right and centre.
Likely court cases against the U
A team boycotting football activities
Protest rallies
Online petitions on both sides
Legislature threatening to withdraw money from the University
Regent likening us to Baylor or Penn State.

The Fleck appointment is a great hire, Coyle cannot be blamed for a lot of the above, but, even if he is not the one most at fault, this could have ended (it is not over yet) a lot better for many of those involved with better management/communication/honesty from the AD.

Obviously within our rights to disagree about that.

Good post.

Highly doubtful though with how quickly the local sports media and Lee Hutton are to jump over the Gophers and Coyle and Kaler, I don't think there is a chance in he// that wouldn't have been reported (Coyle or U leaking).

Pure speculation on my part yes but doing so would have benefited him so I dont think it is that far fetched.

#coacheslivesmatter

You don't think that KSTP wouldn't have taken the bombshell that was the EOAA report, on the condition of the source remaining anonymous? That certainly is possible but also highly unlikely. And the station had everything to gain to keep the name of that source quiet.

Which they have been successful at.

Who stood to gain the most from it's release? The EOAA committee who wanted it out all along, Coyle, who wanted to crush the boycott and was pissed-off that Claeys wouldn't just stand by and take it or Hutton? The first two are a toss-up. Hutton would be way down that list.

Hutton is sure looking at lawsuit money, but he had plenty of ammunition for that already. All a release of that report, before his trial(s) did was castigate the players publicly. Shame them in front of the world as rapists and possibly kill the relationships with their teammates.

Releasing the police report afterwards? Yes, now that probably was Hutton. But as damage control goes, it was a losing proposition. Both repots will certainly be fair game in the lawsuits too.

Coyle and Kaler look to have made a very strong hire in Fleck. No reason to whitewash what went on to get there.

You don't think that KSTP wouldn't have taken the bombshell that was the EOAA report, on the condition of the source remaining anonymous? That certainly is possible but also highly unlikely. And the station had everything to gain to keep the name of that source quiet.

Which they have been successful at.

Who stood to gain the most from it's release? The EOAA committee who wanted it out all along, Coyle, who wanted to crush the boycott and was pissed-off that Claeys wouldn't just stand by and take it or Hutton? The first two are a toss-up. Hutton would be way down that list.

Hutton is sure looking at lawsuit money, but he had plenty of ammunition for that already. All a release of that report, before his trial(s) did was castigate the players publicly. Shame them in front of the world as rapists and possibly kill the relationships with their teammates.

Releasing the police report afterwards? Yes, now that probably was Hutton. But as damage control goes, it was a losing proposition. Both repots will certainly be fair game in the lawsuits too.

Coyle and Kaler look to have made a very strong hire in Fleck. No reason to whitewash what went on to get there.

Well written and thought out Iceland, and maybe I am too complaint and trust authority too much. I still think it was one of the players, but I would be quite mad if I found out otherwise.
Legally would kstp have to disclose where it came from? If it wasn't a player or Hutton,wouldn't Hutton be making a big stink about it?

Well written and thought out Iceland, and maybe I am too complaint and trust authority too much. I still think it was one of the players, but I would be quite mad if I found out otherwise.
Legally would kstp have to disclose where it came from? If it wasn't a player or Hutton,wouldn't Hutton be making a big stink about it?

No, journalists' sources are protected under law.

So you are arguing that the best way to put out a fire in one house is to burn down the whole block. If that's your take, yeah., Coyle is a frickin'' genius.

Top Bottom