Fox Sports on Fleck to Minn: "Minnesota just pulled off the heist of the century."

So you don't think we had the talent to win 2 more games last year?

My point exactly. If PJ is an elite coach, he wins one or two more. Iowa at home and either Penn State or Neb.

Funny how the expectations game is playing with those who feel he is a home run.

You said playing...now it's starting?

I did say playing and I should have clarified starting. It's different when freshman are playing spot duty, like this year, compared to being at the top of the depth chart.

It was a completely different world with no Internet, social media, etc., but based on what I recall I think it was a bigger deal then, particularly because the program was at absolute rock bottom (they had lost 84-13 to Nebraska three months earlier), and people were amazed that Paul Giel could pull it off. Holtz had a national reputation and had been in New Year's Day bowls with Arkansas; he was viewed as an established star, not the hot prospect that Fleck is. To give you an idea of how excited people were back then, I believe they actually sold (albeit at a low price) over 40,000 tickets to the spring game in 1985.

I still have my "Gopher Fever" 3-song music cassette from when Holtz came into town.

And for those younger ones, at the time, the program was down, but it had "only" been less than two decades from some very strong teams. There was also a brand new Metrodome that was the "in" thing, and was actually attractive to recruiting (at least under Holtz). There was still an apparent perception then that Minnesota Gopher football was important to the state as a whole, and there was an aura of confidence that the Gophers were going to be bigtime again, a return to dominance of football in the state of Minnesota.

The arrival of Holtz was huge.

Top Bottom