Just checking, does everyone still hate Kaler?

Teague, the Med School scandal, the Wrestling Drug Ring, the Basketball team incidents, the scapegoating of Claeys?

That all happened on Kaler's watch. Why would the hiring of a good Football Head Coach make that all go away?

agree 100% My point exactly!

Kaler is really bad at putting himself in a positive light. He often comes off as greasy in times of conflict.
However, he has led a resurgence in the undergraduate engineering and business programs at the U.
He has hired a pretty good AD as evidenced by the fact that we just hired a legitimate coach for the first time since Lou Holtz.
And he has presided over a pretty large expansionary period for the U.
I don't like his personality as spun by the Strib. I do like him in person. And I think he should stay out his term at minimum.

Winning fixes everything. This board will forget all about the last few months if the Gophers start competing with the big dogs in the B1G.

Yes. Until he eliminates the present EOAA members and selects both male and female members who support athletics. Until then he won't be on my Christmas card list.

Kaler and Coyle most certainly could have handled this better. No doubt. Kaler...Indifferent to him. Always have been. Coyle...Still really like the guy. We're noticing a change within the AD department and that's a GREAT thing. I still have his back.

Don't love Coyle but dislike him a lot less now considering the hire. Still don't really like Kaler. I am glad though that they decided to pony up and pay the guy as it shows a real commitment to winning.

Seems like an incredibly self-serving bureaucrat to me, and I have worked with my share over the years.

He needs to be called out by the regents for his terrible handling of this whoe bungled mess. He is the face of the U and needs to face the consequences of this terrible stain.

He will be, but won't lose his job for it. His review will definitely reflect the poor management of this situation.

As far as Kaler goes, this put him in a position where he could have hit zero in my opinion of him. Hopefully Coyle has selected a coach who can deliver and that is a solid buffer between outright dislike of Kaler.

If Kaler wants to raise my opinion of him, then he needs to implement a formal appeals process for EOAA penalties and get the EOAA to be clear about the nature and severity of communication with their investigations.

Kaler and Coyle are like the cats who fell out of a fourth floor window, but landed on their feet. Good hire, but Fleck doesn't have anything like the experience of Miles or the Kill gang. But he does have youth, enthusiasm, originality and one great season at WMU. Should be a good recruiter and should rally the troops. Doesn't change that Claeys was very badly treated and the whole Sept. 2 mess mishandled, with little regard for coaches, players or fans. Nevertheless, this is a good hire and I'm looking forward to the presser (BTN is carrying it starting at 2:45).

Hate is a strong word - I still don't respect him for his part in the manner of the Claeys dismissal and never will.

I can feel that way but still acknowledge that Fleck is a great hire and hopefully a big brick to build on the foundations Kill and Claeys have laid.

The single worst AD & Prez? Of just The U or the entire nation? Come on, Ted. Given our history, are they the best?

I am glad we got Fleck and i'm more than happy to give Coyle credit for that. But you might be going a bit overboard. If you would have polled Gopherhole on December 27th and asked one question:
(1) If we fire Claeys and are willing to pay $3.5M for a replacement who is his likely realistic replacement?

I think 75% to 85% of the people would have said Fleck.

It was a good hiring, I give Coyle credit for that, but it wasn't like out of nowhere.

Kaler - - I have never seen someone in his kind of a position handle a situation much worse. I am not talking about the decision to suspend, everything could have went the exact same way - - suspensions, fire Claeys, hire Fleck - - without his gross incompetence.

Coyle - - I never blamed him for staying quiet (I said numerous times, I don't really blame him). I think he was well prepared for his press conference (didn't open up the U to liability like Kaler), but some of the content of the press conference was terribly stupid. So if he would have done a little less in the press conference, he would have done much better.

Yes. Slimy weasel stench doesn't wash off with the hiring of a perceived upgrade in coaching.

Except it sure seems from Flugaur's twitter timeline that the entire plan had been worked out since at least December 26th. Seems like most of the angst was lack of information on fans' part, which was incorrectly interpreted as not having a handle on the situation.

Doesn't matter - he and Coyle sh*t all over the players and coaching staff.

Kaler is a control freak that is ultimately in over his head. Most definitely one that needs serious looking into.

As far as Kaler goes, this put him in a position where he could have hit zero in my opinion of him. Hopefully Coyle has selected a coach who can deliver and that is a solid buffer between outright dislike of Kaler.

If Kaler wants to raise my opinion of him, then he needs to implement a formal appeals process for EOAA penalties and get the EOAA to be clear about the nature and severity of communication with their investigations.

The EOAA report specifically references the appeals process.

Top Bottom