Assistant Coaches - who stays, who goes, who does Fleck bring with him?

Looks like Fleck is by far focusing on contacting recruits and players first, and lining up coaches second. The WMU site is going into meltdown over the number of their recruits now heading to MN. Not only did we take their coach, we also got their recruits, and looks like we're even taking "Row the Boat" from them as well. Next up, we'll probably take a lot of their assistant coaches. Bummer for them -- they finally get a great season, think they've survived all the P5 coaching changes with their program intact, the WMU admin is put together a long-term (10 year) contract for their coach that Fleck is close to signing, and then we fire Claeys and everything goes up in dust...

Getting dumped is never easy.

I work with a former player under Kill at NIU who then was a GA at Minnesota. They thought he was a phony and way more sizzle over substance. This was a staff of mostly conservative rednecks, and Fleck is....not that. Plus, he wasn't "one of them", which was of course huge currency for Kill. Ironically, Claeys in particular didn't like him and used to make fun of him in front of the other players.

That said, I'm very glad Fleck is here, and they are not.

Karma is a b****

I would love if Fleck took note if that defensive performance and gave a thought to Sawvel.
Sherels would be my other one.
Not attached to any others.....

Nearly all the suspended/expelled players played for Swavel. No chance of his being retained or Coyle would have had him on the transition team. Unfortunately, despite his football acumen, he was part of the problem.

Nearly all the suspended/expelled players played for Swavel. No chance of his being retained or Coyle would have had him on the transition team. Unfortunately, despite his football acumen, he was part of the problem.

My take is close to yours, where I do not necessarily think Sawvel was part of the problem I do believe he would be emblematic of the problem and thus not retainable.

Keeping Sawvel (it would have to be as D-Coord) is an absolute must. Assuming he wants to stay here; I'm sure he will have a ton of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six out of 10 is nearly all?

Kill retained two coaches when he took the job at NIU, PJ Fleck and Jeff Phelps. They coached together on Novak's staff and Kill's. Coach Phelps has done a great job with the Gophers D Line. I hope Fleck's history with him is enough to keep him around along with Sherels.

I'm anxious to hear something on the coaching front, especially regarding the two coordinator positions. Would think we should start having news on this front shortly. I'd guess Fleck is meeting with current Gophers coaches today. Betting that Sherels, Weber and Phelps have best chance of staying. I hope Anderson also stays. All other probably gone, but either way we should have some news shortly I'd suspect.

The following table lists the team's coaching staff.[2]
Name Position Year at WMU Alma mater
P. J. Fleck Head coach 4th Northern Illinois (2004)
Kirk Ciarrocca Offensive coordinator 4th Temple (1990)
Ed Pinkham Defensive coordinator, defensive backs 4th Allegheny (1975)
Kenni Burns Running backs 1st Indiana (2006)
Brian Callahan Offensive line 4th Eastern Illinois (1992)
David Duggan Linebackers 1st New Hampshire (1986)
Bill Kenney Tight ends, offensive tackles 4th Norwich (1982)
Matt Simon Wide receivers 3rd Northern Illinois (2004)
Rob Wenger Special teams, defensive ends 4th Colgate (2008)
Jimmy Williams Defensive line 1st Nebraska (1982

I work with a former player under Kill at NIU who then was a GA at Minnesota. They thought he was a phony and way more sizzle over substance. This was a staff of mostly conservative rednecks, and Fleck is....not that. Plus, he wasn't "one of them", which was of course huge currency for Kill. Ironically, Claeys in particular didn't like him and used to make fun of him in front of the other players.

That said, I'm very glad Fleck is here, and they are not.

Thank God for revisionist history. You can sleep <strike>during class</strike> at night now.

Doggie said O'Brien is staying and it's a safe bet Sherels is too.

Defensive Coordinator is the most critical hire and should be the best coach hired.

per Shooter:

It will be interesting whether Fleck tries to entice Andy Bischoff, the two-time Grey Cup championship Montreal Alouettes assistant under Marc Trestman, current Baltimore Ravens assistant under Harbaugh and former assistant head coach at Cretin-Derham Hall, to join his staff.

Bischoff, 45, is well-connected with Minnesota high school football coaches.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...d-coyle-landed-p-j-fleck-without-search-firm/

Go Gophers!!

Wonder how this process is playing out. I guess I have no clue. Does Fleck hand a list over to Coyle to contact and get the ball rolling. Does Fleck do the work? Will be interesting to see this play out.

If he were bringing WMU coaches with him, I'd have think he'd have announced that by now. Maybe they're negotiating salaries or such; or having to wait to see if WMU is going to promote a current assistant to HC?

According to the WMU chatroom, Gerrit Chernoff of the WMU staff will be joining Fleck and the U of M. There's no outside source referenced, so put this in the rumor category.

PJF said he will take some with him from WMU during his presser, IIRC. He also just made some reference on 'CCO about how he has "heard the fans/players" here on a couple of the current coaches and seemed to imply he was going to try to keep a couple around. Didn't name names.

PJF said he will take some with him from WMU during his presser, IIRC. He also just made some reference on 'CCO about how he has "heard the fans/players" here on a couple of the current coaches and seemed to imply he was going to try to keep a couple around. Didn't name names.

Fleck slipped at one point and indicated he would do his best to try to keep "him" involved... (singular).... I thought this to be an inadvertent slip, and in my mind, he was talking about Sherels. Cross your fingers for Sawvel too.

Fleck slipped at one point and indicated he would do his best to try to keep "him" involved... (singular).... I thought this to be an inadvertent slip, and in my mind, he was talking about Sherels. Cross your fingers for Sawvel too.

You could be right. I may have heard what I wanted to.

He also said he wants all in place by Thursday or Friday and on campus by Monday. He's headed to coaches conference in Nashville.

According to the WMU chatroom, Gerrit Chernoff of the WMU staff will be joining Fleck and the U of M. There's no outside source referenced, so put this in the rumor category.
A lot of Gopher staffers started following him on Twitter, and he started following our recruits, so it is accurate.

Per the WMU threads, looks like this is the Offensive Coaches:
-- Kirk Ciarocca = OC (was WMU's OC)
-- Ed Warinner = OL (was OSU's OC)
-- Brian Callahan = TE (was WMU's OL)
-- Matt Simon = WR (was WMU's WR)
-- Rob Wenger = Special Teams (also from WMU)
-- Dan Nichol = Strength and Conditioning (again, from WMU)

Top Bottom