Scout: In terms of recruiting strategy, expect Fleck to be aggressive at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Allen Trieu at Scout has an analysis of what Gophers fans can expect of Fleck the recruiter:

Reports are now surfacing that P.J. Fleck will be the next head coach at Minnesota. Fleck has developed a reputation as being an excellent recruiter and he has signed a highly ranked class which has topped the MAC in each of his years in Kalamazoo. Within those classes, there were several impressive, individual recruiting jobs on players who had other opportunities, but signed with the Broncos.

- Asantay Brown was committed to Western Michigan when Minnesota ironically offered and Brown de-committed and had an official visit set to the Twin Cities. Fleck and the Broncos were able to get him to not take the visit and sign with them. He made 103 tackles as a sophomore for the Broncos last season and 83 as a junior this season.
- Offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor had power-five offers when he committed to the Broncos, but following that commitment, Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas and others offered, Michigan State had him up for a visit and many other major programs were in contact. A stressful last two months of recruiting for the big tackle ended with him signing with the Broncos as the highest-ranked MAC offensive line commit ever. Now a junior, he is considered an NFL prospect and one of the key players on the team.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1743582-pj-flecks-best-recruits-wmu

Go Gophers!!

I expect if things don't go well PJ kneecaps anyone who has offers from Wisc on his way out the door.

Meh. As we have seen with the two previous coaches as well as other programs you can do well with lower recruit rankings. I'm not sold that we have to recruit all 4 and 5 star talant to compete in the west. If he does that i'm fine with it but wisky and iowa do fine in the west without those. Please dont start a pissing match about whether or not stars matter. We have seen that you can recruit to a system and be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

He may be able to raise the recruiting profile but as a whole he will still be getting most prospects that are development types. So still expect mostly 3* types. How he develops them is most important.

I kind of wonder if some of the current Gophers players that were thinking of transferring will now stay, due to wanting to play for Fleck.

Meh. As we have seen with the two previous coaches as well as other programs you can do well with lower recruit rankings. I'm not sold that we have to recruit all 4 and 5 star talant to compete in the west. If he does that i'm fine with it but wisky and iowa do fine in the west without those. Please dont start a pissing match about whether or not stars matter. We have seen that you can recruit to a system and be fine.

#coacheslivesmatter
Its this mentality that will keep this program mired in mediocrity. Its not about just winning the West, its about competing for Big Ten titles and big time bowl games on an annual basis. And YES, you do need 4 and 5 star recruits to do this. I believe Coyle had this vision and that was part of the on-field reason he let Claeys go. Just didn't see him as a competent recruiter in the long run. Recent classes were at the bottom of BT rankings.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

There is not a single person on this board suggesting we have to go after "all 4 and 5 star talent".

Its this mentality that will keep this program mired in mediocrity. Its not about just winning the West, its about competing for Big Ten titles and big time bowl games on an annual basis. And YES, you do need 4 and 5 star recruits to do this. I believe Coyle had this vision and that was part of the on-field reason he let Claeys go. Just didn't see him as a competent recruiter in the long run. Recent classes were at the bottom of BT rankings.

No, it won't.

I'm a bit concerned that Fleck will be over recruiting kids ala Tom Crean. I would hate to se the U use these young men that way.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Recent classes were 9th, 10th, and 9th. Those classes were 10 to 20 spots higher than PJ's at WMU.

Given the presumption that he is a better coach, even if he holds steady to what the Gophs have been ranked in those years, we should expect he wins more games.

We've had pretty good luck with shorter DT's from Chicago....

Whose to say these guys are even players are P5 recruits...?

They are from Western Michigan, our bread-and-butter and gold standard recruit. Haven't you followed the Gophers?

They are from Western Michigan, our bread-and-butter and gold standard recruit. Haven't you followed the Gophers?

WMU classes have consistently been ranked 10-20+ spots below the Gophs. Guess I'd ask you the same question...

We've recently been in a new years day bowl game without those types of players. Other teams have done it as well. Dont give me that crap it cant be done. Rankings matter but it matters more if the players fit the system.

#coacheslivesmatter

WMU classes have consistently been ranked 10-20+ spots below the Gophs. Guess I'd ask you the same question...

It was a joke. There is a running joke on this board about Gopher recruits only being desirable if they have a Western Michigan offer. This goes way back.

Both Elmore and Chambers would be interesting DT's. Elmore is 6'1", 270-pounds but Chambers is 6'5", 325-pounds. What is interesting about Chambers is the fact that he just recently flipped to Western Michigan from Cincinnati. So you have to keep your eye on Cincinnati trying to flip him back now but he would be a definite prospect to keep an eye on for Minnesota. With that said, Chambers just did get a Ole Miss offer.

He recruited the highest rated OL in MAC history who got offers from Florida, Arkansas etc. etc. I think we would have taken that guy here.

There is not a single person on this board suggesting we have to go after "all 4 and 5 star talent".

Never said that. Just dont see that he is such a better recruiter than someone who focuses on recruiting to a system to take this program to the next level. I'll give him a chance to try though.

#coacheslivesmatter

We've recently been in a new years day bowl game without those types of players. Other teams have done it as well. Dont give me that crap it cant be done. Rankings matter but it matters more if the players fit the system.

#coacheslivesmatter
Selective comprehension I see...I said on an annual basis. Broken clock is right twice a day. Do you not want sustained excellence? And besides the 2015 Citrus Bowl, when was the last New Year's Day bowl the Gophs played? I'll wait...

Never said that. Just dont see that he is such a better recruiter than someone who focuses on recruiting to a system to take this program to the next level. I'll give him a chance to try though.

#coacheslivesmatter

Fleck does the same thing. He was Kill's recruiting coordinator at NIU for the love of god.

Both Elmore and Chambers would be interesting DT's. Elmore is 6'1", 270-pounds but Chambers is 6'5", 325-pounds. What is interesting about Chambers is the fact that he just recently flipped to Western Michigan from Cincinnati. So you have to keep your eye on Cincinnati trying to flip him back now but he would be a definite prospect to keep an eye on for Minnesota.

Could definitely use a few DTs. And QBs.

Selective comprehension I see...I said on an annual basis. Broken clock is right twice a day. Do you not want sustained excellence? And besides the 2015 Citrus Bowl, when was the last New Year's Day bowl the Gophs played? I'll wait...

Take a look back at where the program was before Kill took over and the quuck hook claeys got. Sustained excellence takes sustained coaching staff. I'll wait...

#coacheslivesmatter

Top Bottom