Fargo Forum reporting Chris klieman possible candidate for the Gophers

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
I would post a link except I'm to lazy.

I honestly would be disappointed. I think anybody could have coached the Bison after Craig Bohl left. Klieman is still unproven. I'd take him as a coordinator.

Agree. This hire would not stimulate anything.

Dude followed in Bohl's footsteps into a hyper dominant program at a lower level .... that doesn't tell me much.

If Coyle is worried about ticket sales, this alone won't stimulate much, maybe the opposite.

McFeely: Klieman would be a long shot for Gophers job

ESPN college football reporter Brett McMurphy said a source told him Minnesota is expected to target Klieman, making the Bison’s coach one of the coaches the Gophers might be interested in.

There is a connection between Klieman and Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle: They played high school football together at Waterloo (Iowa) Columbus.

Former Bison Craig Bohl, now at Wyoming, has also been mentioned as a possibility for the Gophers. Bohl’s situation is complicated by a seven-year contract extension he just signed with the Cowboys. It requires a $6.5 million buyout for him to get out of the deal at this point. That amount steadily decreases each year.

Klieman signed a six-year contract last April good through the 2021 season. If Klieman takes another job before Jan. 17, he would owe NDSU a $300,000 buyout. After Jan. 17, the buyout drops to $150,000.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/01/03/klieman-a-long-shot-for-gophers-job/

Go Gophers!!

If true, I'm sure he'd get the behind scenes scoop (not sure if that's good or bad) from former UNI teammate Johnson.

Dude followed in Bohl's footsteps into a hyper dominant program at a lower level .... that doesn't tell me much.

If Coyle is worried about ticket sales, this alone won't stimulate much, maybe the opposite.

Yep, same scenario as the Boise State coach, albeit he's at a much higher level. Neither do anything for me.

He might be fine but if he gets offered it is because the first 10 candidates declined.

Rather have Bohl than Klieman. I'd take Fleck over either though. Also this Fargo forum is simply regurgitating what ESPN and McMurphy have been reporting and I don't think McMurphy has any real inside info. I think he's just regurgitating what the local media is reporting.

Yep, same scenario as the Boise State coach, albeit he's at a much higher level. Neither do anything for me.

Yes, these two really make me hope Fleck is interested.
I thinks Bohls buyout takes him off the table, but if we'd pony the 6.5 mil, I'd be on board.

I sure hope so the dude can flat out coach defensive football. Kleiman has proved he can coach, and they win a lot at NDSU. I want a piece of what they have, a passionate fan base, a winning tradition. That Bison team whipped Iowa's butt and were physically going toe to toe with the Hawkeyes.
I'm not sure why people are doubting Kleimen as a coach but when I have watched his teams play, my only conclusions are this dude can flat out coach, make adjustments that outwit the other side. That alone impresses me. He doesn't always have the better athletes but you seldom see his guys make mistakes or get out of position, freelancing. He talks like Fleck, fires people up, but with substance not this row the boat crapola or turd sammich. I get a lot insincerity from Fleck, I don't get that from listening to Kleimen. To me Kleimen is the one guy that would come in and tailor the staff and the current players towards winning and not trying to cram a square peg in a round hole. He would take what we do best and try and make it better, not some herky jerky spread, or no huddle offense.

To me if we got Kleimen we would have a good chance at building something sustainable and a better chance at taking someone who would not turn back the clock and turn us into a complete turd of a program.

He may have followed Bohl's footsteps, but to me he is recruiting a lot better to that program then Bohl ever did, especially at the QB and skill positions. NDSU is getting recruits to go there that have offers to better schools.

I don't understand why so many are down on Kleiman just cause he doesn't coach at a flashy school, they win and they win at a much higher level then we have attained in a long time. He might not be the hot name but the guy can coach football, and has continued to win at a high level. To me his pedigree and ability to coach from that coaching tree speaks to me. I want a guy that has the audacity to believe he can win championships at Minnesota, we had that before, I believe we need it again. In my eye's, he is the one guy that we would not take giant step backwards with. I know when I see a guy that has a little something special, this dude has the "It" factor.

Yes, these two really make me hope Fleck is interested.
I thinks Bohls buyout takes him off the table, but if we'd pony the 6.5 mil, I'd be on board.

Pretty sure someone posted that Fleck has had issues with players at WMU...criminal issues. Coyle already is a hypocrite, so I guess that wouldn't be part of his evaluation. I'd be interested to know what the GPA and grad rates have been under Fleck.

I really think a Klieman type is about the best we can do.

Wow, that is depressing if true. I think Coyle should just resign and leave it to the next AD if that's the best he can muster. So much for Kaler's "rock star" hire. Can't believe Coyle did not have anyone lined up...

Wow, that is depressing if true. I think Coyle should just resign and leave it to the next AD if that's the best he can muster. So much for Kaler's "rock star" hire. Can't believe Coyle did not have anyone lined up...

I am not saying that I am happy about it, but I don't think a lot of good candidates are going to be interested. We just had an AD nitpick the on-the-field accomplishments of a 9-4 team. So, they have to think they are going to be in a tough situation. Our current FR class is going to be gutted and our recruiting class is going to be gutted. That means that 3 years from now, our upperclassmen are going to be who?

I don't see us throwing a ton of money towards anyone. I think it is bad PR at this point (think the articles written about allocating that money to lesbian studies instead of Athletes Village) and it's just not how we play ball.

So we'll either go after a coordinator type and role the dice or someone like Klieman. I don't think my initial thought that it was going to be Caruso is far off. I hope I'm wrong.

I know many are looking down on him, but he was audacious enough to win in Kinnick stadium, in front of that hostile rabid fan base. His defense went toe to toe with the Hawkeyes, out worked and his players out physically played the Hawks. I think Klieman is a dang good football coach, he had more to do with Bohls success than vice versa, and we would be lucky and thanking our lucky stars that we ended up with him. To me he is the one guy that will not turn the Minnesota program into turd punch. That guy is a winner, we don't need to win the Press conference, we need someone that can win the league and be champs in the Big 10 West.

I know many are looking down on him, but he was audacious enough to win in Kinnick stadium, in front of that hostile rabid fan base. His defense went toe to toe with the Hawkeyes, out worked and he out physically played them. I think Klieman is a dang good football coach and we would be lucky and thanking our lucky stars that we ended up with him. To me he is the one guy that will not turn the Minnesota program into turd punch.

It wasn't really meant as an insult to Klieman. He might be a great coach. I am more commenting on the fact that our administration has put us in a situation where we are going to consider candidates that no other Big 10 program would consider.

It wasn't really meant as an insult to Klieman. He might be a great coach. I am more commenting on the fact that our administration has put us in a situation where we are going to consider candidates that no other Big 10 program would consider.

We need our Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz, sometimes the cream rises to the top even when they are doubted. I know there are many skeptics because of FCS, but Klieman get's football and he get's Big 10 football. Many just don't know it yet, we are not above this hire, and we need someone that can move us forward not backward.

We need our Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz, sometimes the cream rises to the top even when they are doubted. I know there are many skeptics because of FCS, but Klieman get's football and he get's Big 10 football. Many just don't know it yet, we are not above this hire, and we need someone that can move us forward not backward.

Who knows? It may work to emulate NDSU rather than continually trying to emulate Wisconsin. Lord knows the status quo hasn't worked.

I am not saying that I am happy about it, but I don't think a lot of good candidates are going to be interested. We just had an AD nitpick the on-the-field accomplishments of a 9-4 team. So, they have to think they are going to be in a tough situation. Our current FR class is going to be gutted and our recruiting class is going to be gutted. That means that 3 years from now, our upperclassmen are going to be who?

I don't see us throwing a ton of money towards anyone. I think it is bad PR at this point (think the articles written about allocating that money to lesbian studies instead of Athletes Village) and it's just not how we play ball.

So we'll either go after a coordinator type and role the dice or someone like Klieman. I don't think my initial thought that it was going to be Caruso is far off. I hope I'm wrong.

With our luck it would be Brooks Bollinger.

Please no. This is the exact kind of lame duck hire that Coyle has to avoid.

Klieman signed a six-year contract last April good through the 2021 season. If Klieman takes another job before Jan. 17, he would owe NDSU a $300,000 buyout. After Jan. 17, the buyout drops to $150,000.

So, Jan 18th it is.....

I don't know enough about Klieman to say whether it would be good or bad, but are we really at the point where we're worried about having to pay an extra $150K?

Pretty sure someone posted that Fleck has had issues with players at WMU...criminal issues. Coyle already is a hypocrite, so I guess that wouldn't be part of his evaluation. I'd be interested to know what the GPA and grad rates have been under Fleck.

And from I read he dismissed them from the team.

$150,000 is chump change compared to Bohl's $6.5 million buy-out.

I personally think Bohl is the better coach but Klieman is no slouch. He is a great fit for Minnesota in style, mentality/personality and he already can hit the ground running recruiting wise. NDSU under Bohl/Klieman recruit Florida and possibly Georgia already.

Klieman is not some rah-rah guy like Fleck but he is your old school hard nosed coach more similar to Kill.

I believe Klieman is still living off Bohl's recruits. I think this year you finally saw the beginning of the end of the NDSU dynasty. I'm not even sure I'd want Klieman at Wyoming to take over after Bohl got a job here.

I believe Klieman is still living off Bohl's recruits. I think this year you finally saw the beginning of the end of the NDSU dynasty. I'm not even sure I'd want Klieman at Wyoming to take over after Bohl got a job here.

That's my issue with this idea. He took over a dynasty at NDSU. He'd need to maintain the program for a few more years before I'd even consider this a possibility.

Nah Coyle is going to kick the cash to his high school buddy. Everything makes sense now.

Better be someone with a better resume...

Top Bottom