PiPress: Glen Mason ‘A lot of other people’ share blame at U for Tracy Claeys’ firing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

Whoever replaces Tracy Claeys, who was fired Tuesday, will be the fifth man to lead the Gophers football program since Glen Mason was fired in 2006.

There have been four athletic directors in that same span. Mason had three athletic directors during his 10-year tenure alone.

“It’s alarming,” Mason said on Big Ten Network on Tuesday.

Mason said you can point a finger at Claeys, but you can also “point a finger at a lot of other people.”

Put simply, Mason said this is how not to handle a situation. The decision to fire Claeys came a full week after the Gophers’ Holiday Bowl victory over Washington State.

“How often have we talked about you don’t want to take a one-day bad story and turn it into a two-day bad story or a three-day bad story or a four-day bad story?” Mason said. “This just goes on and on and on and on.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...ple-share-blame-at-u-for-tracy-claeys-firing/

Go Gophers!!

per Jace:

Whoever replaces Tracy Claeys, who was fired Tuesday, will be the fifth man to lead the Gophers football program since Glen Mason was fired in 2006.

There have been four athletic directors in that same span. Mason had three athletic directors during his 10-year tenure alone.

“It’s alarming,” Mason said on Big Ten Network on Tuesday.

Mason said you can point a finger at Claeys, but you can also “point a finger at a lot of other people.”

Put simply, Mason said this is how not to handle a situation. The decision to fire Claeys came a full week after the Gophers’ Holiday Bowl victory over Washington State.

“How often have we talked about you don’t want to take a one-day bad story and turn it into a two-day bad story or a three-day bad story or a four-day bad story?” Mason said. “This just goes on and on and on and on.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...ple-share-blame-at-u-for-tracy-claeys-firing/

Go Gophers!!

This is all true and very sad. Ongoing administrative incompetence.

I don't know how Mason can hold Coyle responsible for how any of this mess was handled seeing as how Coyle didn't start his job until November, long after the whole sexuation happened. Coyle's complete blindsiding by the EOCC committee can't be blamed on incompetence or lack of awareness on his part because he only got here days before the end of the football season.

I don't know how Mason can hold Coyle responsible for how any of this mess was handled seeing as how Coyle didn't start his job until November, long after the whole sexuation happened. Coyle's complete blindsiding by the EOCC committee can't be blamed on incompetence or lack of awareness on his part because he only got here days before the end of the football season.

Wtf are u talking about? His first day on the job was 5/31/16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What???? You mean our experienced genius of a new AD has been here on the job for the entire time this episode has been going on? Since the sexuation happened?? Long enough to know all about the EOCC board and their agenda? Since the original suspensions? Since the poorly handled second suspensions/restraining orders? He's been forthright and honest with the boosters and fans about the whole situation? He's been on top of things from the start? He explained the third suspensions well to the rest of the team? He's handled the whole situation like a top notch AD would?

I heard Mason on KFAN around 5PM and he was fairly even handed, and a lot tougher on Claeyes than I expected.

He said that if (and it is a big "if"), Coyle's statement that Claeys was informed of the suspension by Coyle in the presence of the associate AD, and he then affirmed the decision, then later changed his position, it was a big problem and in Mason's view insubordination. I have some doubts about Coyle's story though.

Mason also talked about taking control as head coach and challenging Coyle and Kaler to get more information as HC so he could take action with his team. He suggests that TC may have been to passive and should not have stayed in San Diego. Mason suggests that he would have pushed hard to get the gist to the EOAA report, then shut down any boycott in a hurry.

I think Dan Barriero was pretty effective today. He started by comparing how Barry Alvarez (and in past years Richter and Donna S as well) would have handled a similar situation relative the anyone in power at the U of M this year. UW never would have bungled a situation like this. I agree fully. They would have quickly assessed the situation, made a decisive call, and moved forward quickly. Dan B was not so much upset about the decision itself, just the inept way the whole thing was handled going back to September.

The U of M leadership did the opposite.

Pretty clear from the presser that Coyle wanted his own guy before the infamy of September 2.

If not "this" it would have been "something" else.

Still a mess.

I do not care one bit what Mason says - you shouldn't either.

He's not without an agenda, you all would be better off to remember that when evaluating his comments.

I heard Mason on KFAN around 5PM and he was fairly even handed, and a lot tougher on Claeyes than I expected.

He said that if (and it is a big "if"), Coyle's statement that Claeys was informed of the suspension by Coyle in the presence of the associate AD, and he then affirmed the decision, then later changed his position, it was a big problem and in Mason's view insubordination. I have some doubts about Coyle's story though.

Mason also talked about taking control as head coach and challenging Coyle and Kaler to get more information as HC so he could take action with his team. He suggests that TC may have been to passive and should not have stayed in San Diego. Mason suggests that he would have pushed hard to get the gist to the EOAA report, then shut down any boycott in a hurry.

I think Dan Barriero was pretty effective today. He started by comparing how Barry Alvarez (and in past years Richter and Donna S as well) would have handled a similar situation relative the anyone in power at the U of M this year. UW never would have bungled a situation like this. I agree fully. They would have quickly assessed the situation, made a decisive call, and moved forward quickly. Dan B was not so much upset about the decision itself, just the inept way the whole thing was handled going back to September.

This is also a far different place than UW, it's about as progressive an environment as one could imagine and home to two major papers within 10 miles. Things fly there that simply can't here, the scrutiny is not comparable.

I do not care one bit what Mason says - you shouldn't either.

He's not without an agenda, you all would be better off to remember that when evaluating his comments.

Agendas are often ignored in GH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I think Dan Barriero was pretty effective today. He started by comparing how Barry Alvarez (and in past years Richter and Donna S as well) would have handled a similar situation relative the anyone in power at the U of M this year. UW never would have bungled a situation like this. I agree fully. They would have quickly assessed the situation, made a decisive call, and moved forward quickly. Dan B was not so much upset about the decision itself, just the inept way the whole thing was handled going back to September.

They did have a lot of experience handling those things over there too. Barry's son microwaving the parrot, suspending 28 for illegal benefits (discounts), no, the NCAA had to do that for them, Barry banging a coed, B.B. allegedly banging multiple coeds, Bo Ryan carrying on a long term affair while he was head coach..

Yes, they've had some experiences over there too.

I think Coyle has wanted to hire his own guy as well, but the 8-4 record made that almost impossible, and then when the EOAA report blew everything up, the incredible defensive showing in the bowl game threw a wrench into things. Coyle regained his balance, lined up his support and made his move eventually.

When I predicted that Coyle would fire Claeys a few weeks back, I based that on an expectation that he had a nearly sure thing lined up. I strongly disagree with the firing, but it he really does have someone good waiting in the wings I can deal with it if it happens in a few days.

I hope his comments in the PC were posturing and he is ready to role with one of the 2-3 speculated about (and all have warts or question marks). If he really is starting a true search process in a vintage Joel Maturi fashion, this week, then this is going to turn into cluster and program will turn to crap for 5-7 years for sure.

Top Bottom