PiPress: Boosters blame U adminstration for Gophers football woes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

“I think the university has deeper problems that have gone on for 50 years with the football program,” said former player and contributor Gary Hohman. “I think they are totally in denial from the president through Morrill Hall to the board of regents. And I think they have been. I think it’s a bigger picture than Tracy Claeys. I think it’s a cultural issue with the university. I think they want to take credit for being a Big Ten university, but in no way in the last 50 years have they made the commitment to football that’s necessary. I think it’s a much bigger issue than just Tracy Claeys.”

“It isn’t the coaches, and it isn’t the athletic directors,” booster Dick Ames said. “It’s kind of like my business. I’m in the construction business. We’ve had our problems. But when we got into trouble, I’ll guarantee it wasn’t the mechanic that caused the problem and it wasn’t the truck driver and it definitely wasn’t the janitor. You’ve got to go to upper management. And the university has lacked upper management.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/03/boosters-blame-u-adminstration-for-gophers-football-woes/

Go Gophers!!

I personally blame the boosters. There is a reason we always hire on the cheap and it isn't because the admin wants to fail.

I wish I had more money -all people ever

I personally blame the boosters. There is a reason we always hire on the cheap and it isn't because the admin wants to fail.

I wish I had more money -all people ever

I would be interested to know what the booster $ was like @ WI. in the late 1980's/ early 90's? I think they are a good example, even though I detest their fans, of administration making a commitment to building a winning FB program. I think the change has to start @ the top which is why I do not have much confidence in our group.

I would be interested to know what the booster $ was like @ WI. in the late 1980's/ early 90's? I think they are a good example, even though I detest their fans, of administration making a commitment to building a winning FB program. I think the change has to start @ the top which is why I do not have much confidence in our group.

Well they hired the DC from a national championship program rather than hiring:
A DC from a 4th place Big Ten team (Claeys)
A a career non power 5 coach (Kill)
A career recruiter and position coach (Brewster)
A guy 13 games under .500 at Kansas (Mason)
A guy 18 games under .500 at TCU (Wacker)
The D.C. Off a 6th place big ten team (Gutekunst)

Also hard to compare pre-2000 hires due to the tv contract explosions.

And yet u implied you'd like the NDSU coach or at least be satisfied with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also hard to compare pre-2000 hires due to the tv contract explosions.

Really, You claimed our issues was because we have ****ty boosters. Why would the TV contracts matter then? The U of M has the 9th largest endowment among public universities. $3.2 billion. I would say we don't have a giving problem we have a priority problem. And that priority is set by the Regents and President.

And yet u implied you'd like the NDSU coach or at least be satisfied with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did I say that?
I did say he would take the job if called. I think he would

Really, You claimed our issues was because we have ****ty boosters. Why would the TV contracts matter then? The U of M has the 9th largest endowment among public universities. $3.2 billion. I would say we don't have a giving problem we have a priority problem. And that priority is set by the Regents and President.
Yup. I think booster money is less important to coaching hires than it was 15 years ago and continues to be less and less every year.

When kill was hired the Big Ten payouts were less than 20 million, they'll be up around 50 in the next few years.

My comment was more about history than present situation

Top Bottom