Official Statement from the U/Coyle

Even Coyle admitted that Kaler's statement was a lie.

Wow. What a complete disaster of an administration!!

Correct. I don't think there is any question Kaler will be gone within a year.

Coyle TBD

Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

This decision is about the future of Minnesota football.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

Different standards, different policies.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

Go Gophers!!

Stop it Mark, stop it! ;)

When you get fired from this job you might have a great career as a stand-up!:cool:

Want to increase attendance? Lower ticket prices, ink big OOC games, and keep a staff that consistently WINS. Fans love a winner.
Want to improve recruiting? Infuse some $$ into your facilities (coming) and keep a staff that consistently WINS. Recruits love a winner.
Want to know how to tank a FB program? Apparently you hire Mark Coyle.

Even Coyle admitted that Kaler's statement was a lie.

Wow. What a complete disaster of an administration!!

That is the beaut here. If Coyle is right that Claeys lied - he is exposing Kaler of lying at the same time. What a joke this whole thing is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

This decision is about the future of Minnesota football.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

Go Gophers!!

Blah blah blah. U are a loser

Is Mark Coyle a real person, or just a robot that generates statements when necessary?

I'd like to apologize to Joel Maturi. Whatever his faults was far better at his job than those who followed him.

Coyle’s statement:

Go Gophers!!

Under Kill then Claeys:

Athetically: Team won 8 games 3 out of 4 years. This year's team won 9 games and was competitive (leading in 2nd half) in every game, including against two top-10 opponents.

Academically: I believe the team has achieved a top 5 APR and top 10 graduation rate.

Socially: How many off-field incidents have there been under Kill/Claeys? I'd be interested in a comparison to other FBS programs. Seems the team was well-behaved for the most part.

Under Kill then Claeys:

Athetically: Team won 8 games 3 out of 4 years. This year's team won 9 games and was competitive (leading in 2nd half) in every game, including against two top-10 opponents.

Academically: I believe the team has achieved a top 5 APR and top 10 graduation rate.

Socially: How many off-field incidents have there been under Kill/Claeys? I'd be interested in a comparison to other FBS programs. Seems the team was well-behaved for the most part.
Yep.
Coyle put a hell of a spin on this one. Most people in Minnesota and beyond will be too stupid to see it, which is what Coyle is counting on.

Athletically 6-8 in big ten play
Academically no arguments
Socially largest sex scandal since 2014 basketball team

That was just last year? Lol time flies. Amazing how Pitino's fortunes have changed

He's lucky it happened before now. In the current climate, he'd have been fired before the MOA found the footage of Dorsey's cell phone being stolen. But Coyle wasn't hear to issue a statement from under his desk yet.

Athletically 6-8 in big ten play
Academically no arguments
Socially largest sex scandal since 2014 basketball team

You really are an idiot. I try and give the benefit of the doubt and just assume people who don't know what they are talking about are just casual fans here to visit but time and again you prove to be a moron that just doesn't know anything and is too stupid to know to keep his mouth shut.

Question that someone else may be able to answer for me.
Since becoming AD in a time when funding and fundraising is a big concern
for our shiny new facilities....
....what exactly has Mark Coyle done to improve our athletic department?

What's his 'signature win'? At least mega-tongue raised some dough.

Way to throw Claeys under the bus in a press release where he can't respond. That takes real leadership.

IMO, Claeys was a decent coach and possibly even a decent head coach. I wish him well in his future endeavors, and personally wish we could keep him as D coordinator, where he did a very nice job.

I don't think Claeys was the right person to head this program, even if I appreciate a reasonable job winning games (given respective comparisons to predecessors). He was not a good enough recruiter, and did not seem to carry himself with the elite professionalism needed to project a lower-Big 5 program into the next level; and was not a salesman to drive enthusiasm and ticket sales. Unfortunately, B1G football is a business, and Claeys was rightly or wrongly projected not to sell more tickets in the long term. The issue with the player incident(s) and the boycott and his anti-admin reaction couldn't have helped a tenuous situation.

Anyone really think Claeys expressed his disagreement during the meeting? Then he sends out that tweet! That tweet was so shockingly stupid for a smart guy. That's not leadership. Have the balls to express yourself in the meeting. I like the statement and the decision. I like Claeys, but he was in over his head. Not his fault, most people aren't equipped for a job like that.

You can't lie about events at a meeting that your boss was present at and hope to get the benefit of the doubt.

Why would you lie publicly about a meeting your boss was at? You wouldn't, at best it's a misunderstanding that Coyle thought Claeys was on board at worst Coyle is lying. More than likely Claey was on board until he heard more information (the other side of the story.....viewed the tape for instance....hint, hint) from players and or parents and realized he was either lied to or given only one side of the story from said boss.

Top Bottom