Official Statement from the U/Coyle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

This decision is about the future of Minnesota football.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

And let me be clear: this was the right thing to do.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

Different standards, different policies.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

Go Gophers!!

If the first half of that is true, the correct decision was made

Gutless. Man up and be honest for once. Don't try and pin this on recruiting and ticket sales. That had nothing to do with it.

You don't fire a 9 win coach and then cite recruiting and ticket sales as the reason.

Gutless. Man up and be honest for once. Don't try and pin this on recruiting and ticket sales. That had nothing to do with it.

You don't fire a 9 win coach and then cite recruiting and ticket sales as the reason.
Ticket sales probably had as much to do with it as anything. 9 win seasons are worthless when more people went to watch 1-11 brewster

Coyle’s statement:

I made a difficult decision today on behalf of the University of Minnesota. With the support of Board of Regents’ leadership and President Eric Kaler, I have decided to take the Gophers football team in a different direction with new coaching leadership.

I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.

Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.

I also want to address the unfortunate blurring of the football suspension decision.

On December 13, 2016, Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham and I met to discuss 10 student-athletes.

I informed Coach Claeys of my judgment that athletic suspensions were appropriate.

Without any objection, Coach Claeys said he understood that decision to bench student-athletes.

Coach Claeys, Deputy Athletics Director John Cunningham, and I met with the student-athletes to advise them of our decision. Coach Claeys subsequently informed me that he agreed with the suspension decision.

Coach Claeys’ Tweet later that week was not helpful. I accept that Coach Claeys intended it to support the boycotting players. Understandably others did not see it that way. I hope you will appreciate I cannot say more about the athletic suspensions in this case.

I will say, as a general matter, athletic suspension decisions – essentially a decision to bench a player – are different from a prosecutor’s decision to charge someone with a crime.

An athletic suspension decision is also different from a panel decision whether there has been a student conduct code violation.

For example, we suspend student-athletes for attitude problems. We suspend student-athletes while criminal investigations are ongoing. We suspend student-athletes when University investigators present credible evidence of inappropriate conduct. What happens in a student conduct process is not for me to say. Like the U and all involved, I simply want a just and fair process. That is not determined by who prevails; if justice is done, then the University of Minnesota and the public win, no matter the outcome.

Again, this has been a difficult decision. I thank Coach Claeys and his staff for their years of service. Coaches Dan O’Brien and Mike Sherels have agreed to remain during the coaching transition to ensure that our student-athletes have strong and active leadership in the interim.

Go Gophers!!

If Cunningham backs up Coyle on this, Claeys was on thin ice when he said that he was not informed. The tweet just added to it.

If ticket sales were the issue, then why the statement a month ago about how Claeys is his guy and they are working on an extension?

Anybody think that this weasel was going to open up himself to questions?

Ticket sales probably had as much to do with it as anything. 9 win seasons are worthless when more people went to watch 1-11 brewster

Ticket sales were ****ed over by the previous AD. Not Claeys.

If ticket sales were the issue, then why the statement a month ago about how Claeys is his guy and they are working on an extension?
Because you can't fire a 9 win coach even if you want to.
If your coach is insubordinate you could fire him if he won 14 games.

Agreed - it was about recruiting and ticket sales, especially if the reports are true that this has been "percolating" for some time. The scandal/crisis was either the 1) opportunity or 2) tipping point.

Agreed - it was about recruiting and ticket sales, especially if the reports are true that this has been "percolating" for some time. The scandal/crisis was either the 1) opportunity or 2) tipping point.

Or likely both

Ya think the whole ticket pricing fiasco put in place by MegaTongue had anything to do with that ?

Ya, because the previous AD jacked up the price.

Man, you sure are good at being wrong all of the time. Well done. Ticket price increases are the #1 reason for attendance problems.

Man, you sure are good at being wrong all of the time. Well done. Ticket price increases are the #1 reason for attendance problems.

Yup I'm wrong all the time. Ticket and program enthusiasm had nothing to do with the decision.

Man up and just say it was the tweet. This was as bad as the ultimatem response the Japanese made to Secretary of State Stinson after Pearl Harbor was attacked. Lies, falsification, deception, etc.

Coyle’s statement:

Go Gophers!!

Too bad we're short one AD and one President for that...

A scapegoat for what?

You should read up on this whole thing. It's been pretty big news for a few weeks now. I bet you can find some articles on-line that will help out with your question.

You should read up on this whole thing. It's been pretty big news for a few weeks now. I bet you can find some articles on-line that will help out with your question.

A scapegoat for the EOAA report? Aren't the 10 guys suspended the scapegoat?

Even Coyle admitted that Kaler's statement was a lie.

Wow. What a complete disaster of an administration!!

A scapegoat for the EOAA report? Aren't the 10 guys suspended the scapegoat?

Top Bottom