STrib Update #2: Kaler, Coyle and U leaders face mounting pressure to fire Claeys

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Mary Lynn Smith (posted at 2:45 pm on Tuesday)

While Tracy Claeys' future as Gophers football coach hangs in the balance Tuesday afternoon, pressure is mounting to fire him.

A rally is now planned for Wednesday afternoon outside the university's Morrill Hall, titled "Stand With Survivors: Fire Claeys." Organizers and participants will ask U leaders to oust the embattled coach.

Earlier Tuesday, Global Rights for Women, based in downtown Minneapolis, wrote a letter to university President Eric Kaler and athletic director Mark Coyle urging them to fire Claeys and supporting "a no-tolerance policy for sexual assault."

Meanwhile, an online petition with more than 3,400 digital signatures demands that school officials fire Claeys "for failure of leadership and lack of sound judgment."

http://www.startribune.com/eric-kal...ting-pressure-to-fire-tracy-claeys/409567765/

Go Gophers!!

Everytime the Strib posts a "story" like this, someone should link the story where Rayno told her editors about MegaTongue's advances and the newspaper decided to do nothing. Phony hypocrites.

Earlier Tuesday, Global Rights for Women, based in downtown Minneapolis, wrote a letter to university President Eric Kaler and athletic director Mark Coyle

But did they respond?

I can't read the article but wonder if petition in favor of Claeys was mentioned

It was but not after all these supposed pressures mounting against the U. Honestly it's a small lynch mob trying to get TC fired. Pathetic

It's not increasing! It's the same old squeaky wheels getting louder.

I can't read the article but wonder if petition in favor of Claeys was mentioned

From the article.

"A separate online petition to keep Claeys as coach has 2,200 digital signatures."

These sorts of protests (and future articles, exposes, etc) are why TC's going to get scapegoated and fired. Are they fair? No. Are they even operating with the facts? No. Are they blindly reactionary? Yes.

But, in 2017, issues like these tend to suck in everything they touch like a black hole. Kaler and Coyle know this and will fire him to keep the heat off themselves, even in the absence of evidence that TC or the program did anything improper. Unless the BoR determines the real failure of leadership was in Kaler's office. That would be every bit as fair or moreso than making TC the scapegoat, but it ain't happening.

Not a really good article. I was expecting leaks from regent members or people close to Coyle and Kaler. Still this is not a good sign. I wonder if there is some undercurrent among the regents and boosters to can Claeys. It's not the number of boosters it's who the boosters are.

You have to remember that moneyed boosters always have an exaggerated sense of the program and it's expectations. You have boosters who expect Les Miles of PJ Fleck to be a candidate. I have to say that my experience from boosters is that the moneyed ones want big names and want Minnesota to finally compete with Iowa and Wisconsin.

From the article.

"A separate online petition to keep Claeys as coach has 2,200 digital signatures."

Yeah just got access to the article. Kind of buried that fact deep in the story. Not good PR for Claeys

If they stand outside long enough, we won't hear from them again...

These sorts of protests (and future articles, exposes, etc) are why TC's going to get scapegoated and fired. Are they fair? No. Are they even operating with the facts? No. Are they blindly reactionary? Yes.

But, in 2017, issues like these tend to suck in everything they touch like a black hole. Kaler and Coyle know this and will fire him to keep the heat off themselves, even in the absence of evidence that TC or the program did anything improper. Unless the BoR determines the real failure of leadership was in Kaler's office. That would be every bit as fair or moreso than making TC the scapegoat, but it ain't happening.

Might not be a recruiting violation but I doubt that many people are going to agree that getting a 17 year old recruit drunk and have them participate in a gang bang is proper.

Nothing new in this article. It is the same folks with the same bullhorn touting the same thing. Like I said in an earlier post they are projecting support of sexual violence, rape and things they keep mentioning for firing, they keep projecting those attitudes and prejudices onto the head coach Claeys. Sure would like one of these same folks that keeps touting this as a reason to fire the head coach of the Gophers, to provide one piece of evidence where he ever said anything, written or spoken that supports their point of view, that he condoned and thought it was OK for what happened on 09/02/16. Nothing he wrote in that tweet is supporting evidence in they're cause either, not one word of it.

I have yet to read or see anything that can substantiate the claims of the fire the head coach crowd, that he Tracey Claey's actually did or supported any of the things they keep saying about the head coach of Gophers football. Please to the journalist that keep writing these articles, or story's on this "mounting pressure" to fire head coach Claey's, please ask any of the people you keep interviewing for evidence of those opinions from the head coach of the Gophers. Especially from the two initiators of the fire the head coach petition, where is your smoking gun of evidence that the head coach condoned anything that happened on 09/02/16?
Those of us that would like to see some facts related to this alleged support, and condemning evidence are waiting.

University administration perpetuates the discussion

Just really pathetic leadership by the administration to just let this fester....keep Tracy and the story exits the news. Fire him and the story is going for months. Not to mention keeping him is the right thing to do athletically and on principle.

But did they respond?

I'm telling you one thing, the world will be a safer place for women if they can make sure that a football coach (who was fully supportive during a sexual assault investigation) is fired if he happens to tweet support for players who are asking for a fair process for their teammates.

Not a really good article. I was expecting leaks from regent members or people close to Coyle and Kaler. Still this is not a good sign. I wonder if there is some undercurrent among the regents and boosters to can Claeys. It's not the number of boosters it's who the boosters are.

You have to remember that moneyed boosters always have an exaggerated sense of the program and it's expectations. You have boosters who expect Les Miles of PJ Fleck to be a candidate. I have to say that my experience from boosters is that the moneyed ones want big names and want Minnesota to finally compete with Iowa and Wisconsin.

And why wouldn't every booster and fan want that?

I don't understand why Brian Smith was publicly kicked off the team, but Claeys isn't willing to kick any of these players off the team?

Does he know he's not keeping his job and doesn't care to save it?

He's willing to take the whole ship down?

Coaches don't need a reason to pull a scholarship. Coach is being stubborn.

I don't understand why Brian Smith was publicly kicked off the team, but Claeys isn't willing to kick any of these players off the team?

So, the regents, president, AD, whoever told him to dismiss all the players or he'd be gone?
What are you trying to say here?

So, the regents, president, AD, whoever told him to dismiss all the players or he'd be gone?
What are you trying to say here?

Looking at one thing. His players had a female in a room with a recruit and the actions went public, right or wrong. The actions have led to where we are today. Claeys could/should have already kicked some players off the team, or would that lead to more issues coming to light?

Sure they do.

Looking at one thing. His players had a female in a room with a recruit and the actions went public, right or wrong. The actions have led to where we are today. Claeys could/should have already kicked some players off the team, or would that lead to more issues coming to light?

Because that would leave the U WIDE open to litigation.

How ironic that this football article was written by a female. What's wrong at the Trib, none of the beat writers have any guts to publicly support TC? Certainly would send the wrong message that the lynch mob determines who is fired and perhaps hired. Can't really believe any experienced HC would even consider coming to the U with that mentality so prevalent. Regardless the dollars involved. Not hard to see why Trump didn't win Minnesota. The PC culture is hard to fight.

Top Bottom