Gopher Transfers?

BTN just announce that Pat Devlin is transferring from PSU and won't play in the Rose Bowl. It happens everywhere.

BTN just announce that Pat Devlin is transferring from PSU and won't play in the Rose Bowl. It happens everywhere.

I'm pretty sure Devlin was a 5 star recruit when he went to Penn State. If we're losing 5 star recruits due to a lack of playing time I think everybody will have to take a step back and smile.

I'm pretty sure Devlin was a 5 star recruit when he went to Penn State. If we're losing 5 star recruits due to a lack of playing time I think everybody will have to take a step back and smile.

I agree, but you know someone would be complaining.

Can anyone tell me why they announce this before the bowl game and not after? Is it because he is not enrolling in classes any longer so he can't participate or does it have to do with his remaining eligibility and when he would be able to play with his new team?

The thing with most of our transfers is that these are guys who simply didn't appear good enough to be B10 players. These guys are leaving and will most likely end up at a small D1 school or D2. Spry, thompson, Howell, Chambers, White and Herndon had 1 other known D1 offer between them (Herndon with Indiana). Read that again. Between those 6 players there was only 1 other major D1 offer between them. I agree that you need depth but you need guys that can step in and play. Guys like Brandon, McKnight and Smith are all talented guys who could be quality players by their junior year and all would've been ahead of the other WRs who left next year. The guys who've left our program are guys who have gotten recruited over and saw the writing on the wall and were guys from the previous staff or reaches from Brew's last minute attempt to salvage his first class.

I agree, but you know someone would be complaining.

Can anyone tell me why they announce this before the bowl game and not after? Is it because he is not enrolling in classes any longer so he can't participate or does it have to do with his remaining eligibility and when he would be able to play with his new team?

Sorry, I can't give you a definitive answer. It is an excellent question. I have a hard time believing it would impact eligibility because it is still the post season of 2008.

My best guess is that the players plan to transfer to the new school for the semester starting in January and participating in spring practice. I know someone can participate in the bowl if they graduate in December but I'm not sure if there are any rules about having to be enrolled if you are not a December graduate.

I wish I could be more helpful.

The thing with most of our transfers is that these are guys who simply didn't appear good enough to be B10 players.

This is a good point. It seems like every year on this board the same discussion is had. "(Fill in the blank) players are leaving the program... what the heck is going on?!?!?!" This stuff happens in college football. You bring in recruits that you think fit your system, and sometimes they don't work out, those players don't end up playing as much as they thought, they are unhappy with their experience, and they leave the program. It isn't a problem with the program or the coaching staff, it's just a fact of life. Sometimes it doesn't work the way that you planned it.

As other posters have said, it happens all the time.

I see that sophmore Penn State backup quarterback Devlin,who set all kinds of Pennsylvania high school records is transferring too. When you think you're the best player out there and don't win a starting job, or lose a starting job, some decide to compete harder and get better, some see the writing on the wall and transfer and some just live out their scholarship on the bench. Which is your favorite poison?

Trey Herndon was the other Brewster recruit who left after last season.

Clint Brewster transferred last season

This is a good point. It seems like every year on this board the same discussion is had. "(Fill in the blank) players are leaving the program... what the heck is going on?!?!?!" This stuff happens in college football. You bring in recruits that you think fit your system, and sometimes they don't work out, those players don't end up playing as much as they thought, they are unhappy with their experience, and they leave the program. It isn't a problem with the program or the coaching staff, it's just a fact of life. Sometimes it doesn't work the way that you planned it.

The coaches own son left the program last year because he was behind Weber and he wanted more out of his college career than to be a back up QB. Since leaving he has been helping the Gophers recruit Anthony Leon while playing in Junior College. There are clearly no hard feelings. He saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to beat out the starter in the next 3 years and then he would be in an open competition with Gray & Alipate. Transfering was the best option for him.

The coaches own son left the program last year because he was behind Weber and he wanted more out of his college career than to be a back up QB. Since leaving he has been helping the Gophers recruit Anthony Leon while playing in Junior College. There are clearly no hard feelings. He saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to beat out the starter in the next 3 years and then he would be in an open competition with Gray & Alipate. Transfering was the best option for him.

That's interesting. Man, if I thought it would help, I would drive over to Visalia and encourage him as well! I only live 25 miles away!

"It never makes much sense when people on this board 'run off' players who have had struggles. IMHO, that's the big difference between college and pro. The guys are kids who came here for a shot to play, win, go to school, and become part of the University of Minnesota. I sort of feel like these guys are ours, somewhat like family, and you want the best for them."

I agree these guys are like extended family in a way and it bugs me to see people openly wish ill on them and rejoice when their dream is over. That said, the posters who say that garbage are usually under 20 years old, drunk and have about 7 posts.

agree and disagree

I agree with you in what you said about the players. They were not the ones who asked to play at the U of Minnesota. The U of Minnesota aggressively went after them and convinced them to come here and play. So if their talent level wasn't what it should be the coaches have nobody to blame but themselves. They didn't sign a large free agent contract. They were asked to come here and they did. I played small college football in my day and wouldn't have had the talent to play big time ball. However, I don't think I would have hesitated had a major university offered me a scholarship.

I disagree that those who haven't posted very much don't add to the overall value of this forum. As you can see by my posts I don't have many. I had a few more before I registered but not many. Many of us enjoy reading and only add something when we feel strongly about something. I have seen those who have hundreds and thousands of posts who greatly degrade this forum.

"It never makes much sense when people on this board 'run off' players who have had struggles. IMHO, that's the big difference between college and pro. The guys are kids who came here for a shot to play, win, go to school, and become part of the University of Minnesota. I sort of feel like these guys are ours, somewhat like family, and you want the best for them."

I agree these guys are like extended family in a way and it bugs me to see people openly wish ill on them and rejoice when their dream is over. That said, the posters who say that garbage are usually under 20 years old, drunk and have about 7 posts.

Agree with you mostly, but sometimes I feel good about a player leaving, not because I dislike him, but because I know it's the right move for him. Some people are good at playing the bench role, others are not, and I understand why kids transfer when they realize they won't be able to get much playing time.

I doubt Chow is available, he is the OC at UCLA and just finished his first year there.

Top Bottom